Lenses

Andrew Reid

​Porst 55mm f1.2 can be adapted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simbon4o/14335061575/

​The Porst 55mm f1.2 is a nice lens but very very soft at f1.2 - I have one and only really use it as an effect lens as it looks like you have a diffusion filter on your lens at f1.2 - so do consider this if you buy this lens

stopped down past f2 its very usable

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​I do use Canon Lenses? Also, Sigma, Zeiss but I can't afford a Canon 24 - 70mm atm, so probably get some older Nikons and adapt it. This is for Video btw. Anyone got the good oil on Nikon to EF adapters? Anyone?

​24-70 mk I is not bad, and under 1k now.  The bokeh is the best in zoom lenses.  Adapters are all from ebay, made in China.

Hey,

I'm hoping to invest in a set of some good manual lenses for my A7s and future cameras.

I'm debating between the Nikkor AIS lenses and Leica R lenses.

I've shot with Nikkor AIS lenses before and really liked them. The focus direction didn't bother me. The Nikkor 50mm 1.2 looks lovely. But I'm also considering the Leica R lenses because...well to be honest purely because of the Leica brand and it's reputation.

Anyone have experience with both?

Here's a few more options for the vintage manual lenses. This is a test I did with some vintage glass with GH4. Out of the 6, which image do you guys like? (I know you won't like the model lol, sorry I couldn't get another one)

Just wanted to say something about the Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 - On my full frame d600 it vignettes quite a lot when wide open and has heavy barrel distortion at the wide end. 

It it does however control flare and CA very well for a vintage lens. Also my copy is sharpest at f4 and fairly soft at f2.8

​The Porst 55mm f1.2 is a nice lens but very very soft at f1.2 - I have one and only really use it as an effect lens as it looks like you have a diffusion filter on your lens at f1.2 - so do consider this if you buy this lens

stopped down past f2 its very usable

Om 55 1.2 is sharp at 1.2.  Om 50 1.2 too, better than Nikon AI-s at 1.2.

Hey Andy Lee, if you were looking at getting a collection of manual lenses and only wanted to purchase one speed booster (so only one brand of lens) which would you go for and what would be your favs.

:)

​Same question, sort of. I already have some Canon EF lenses and I plan on purchasing some Nikon-lenses soon. My idea is to buy a Canon EF to MFT Speedbooster. Is it possible to stack the adapters? 

lens flare and adapters?

Nikon e series 135 2.8 (built in lens hood) onto A7s. Chronic lens flare in daylight and not good looking either, not as ugly at nighttime but hard to avoid. Solved the issue for now with a black masking tape hood but i'm wondering if lens adapters have an influence here.

dan

Hey, random lurker here. I just came across a set of Mamiya 645 Sekor C lenses (35mm 3.5, 45mm 2.8, 55mm 2.8, 80mm 2.8, 110mm 2.8, 150mm 3.5, 300mm 5.6) on craigslist for ~550 USD. Is this a good purchase? What are the alternatives? Currently I'm using a T5i with a Nikkor 28-70 2.8 but I'd like to add some primes. (Edit: I'll most likely replace the t5i by summer, just incase this changes things)

Thanks in advance!

Hey, random lurker here. I just came across a set of Mamiya 645 Sekor C lenses (35mm 3.5, 45mm 2.8, 55mm 2.8, 80mm 2.8, 110mm 2.8, 150mm 3.5, 300mm 5.6) on craigslist for ~550 USD. Is this a good purchase? What are the alternatives? Currently I'm using a T5i with a Nikkor 28-70 2.8 but I'd like to add some primes. (Edit: I'll most likely replace the t5i by summer, just incase this changes things)

Thanks in advance!

These lenses are nice if you want to shoot film on a mamiya 645, for small sensor digitals they are ok but not the sharpest nor biggest aperture lenses out there. Eventually somebody comes out with a speed booster for the a7 and then that set would be very useful, until then there are a lot of better options out there like minoltas, nikkors,etc... The price is right if they are n versions (not that it really matters)

The package does include a mamiya 645 super with a prism and film holders for a total of 750$ - but digital (video for the most part) are my intentions. They don't look like N's as far as I can tell. Primarily I would want some manual primes to accompany the nikkor for cheap for a more compact and/or multicam setup. How do they compare to other older/vintage lenses, when used on a digital sensor? I don't plan on shooting any faster than 2.8. I'm trying to keep it under 1000$, which is why I found this package appealing.

Sorry, older lenses are not my forte but I would really like to hear how these lenses would fare for me before it gets sold. Thanks again.

I havent tried putting them on a digital camera (only the 55 2.8) but for video they should be sharp enough for shure, the 35 3.5 probably being the worst but still more than usable (its actually the most expensive in that list). The only problem might be bokeh, I once compared the mamiya 55 2.8 against some nikkors and the mamiya had very nervous bokeh (its actually a fast wide angle lens on 645, so nothing strange there) while the nikkors were perfectly smooth @2.8 (50 1.2 , 60 2.8). The 110,150,300 wont have that problem.

Anyway, these lenses should give similar rendering as the nikkon zoom (not vintage, but also not super contrasty). You could always resell them if you dont like them. 

• Super Members

Picked up classic Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.8 :)

dsc-0393.JPG

On the NX1,

dsc-0394.JPG

Quick test in aperture mode. 
Yes its blurry, that's because of handheld in insufficient light with an obviously to slow shutter.

I'm sharing it anyway just to say, if you have an NX1 or I guess NX500 and haven't tried the camera manager app to transfer pictures (and the nfc pairing) you should. 
I've had a lot of cameras with "smart" functions but this is by far the best so far. 

sam-0131.jpg

I will get back to you with video samples.