Lenses

Andrew Reid

ok this looks like it is a c - mount lens (screw thread) with NO x2 converter on the back to flip in

so it maybe for 1/3 inch sensor so will vignette on micro 4/3 - unless you have a Panasonic camera and can to EX TELE mode to crop in x2 .

its hit and miss you will have to try it

a c mount to micro 4/3 adapter is about £10 off ebay so have a go

​Thanks Andy I will, give it a try..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, (sorry if I deviate a little bit)

So I am looking for a wide(ish) angle lens to match my Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.7. I know there is the 28mm f2.8 or the 24mm from Zeiss but it's more money than I am willing to spend right now. I heard the Yashica ML are good but not all of them. Is the 28mm f2.8 good?

If there are other options out there, please let me know. A lens with an aperture of f2.8 would be a great! 

Thanks ;)

PS: I know Andy will find me the best lens possible :D

yes you are looking in the right place

The Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 is a great lens and will match in with your ZEISS C/Y 50mm

PS Im also a huge fan of the Canon FD 28mm f2.8 - its very very good and very cheap - so if your camera will take FD lenses its also a very good lens

yes you are looking in the right place

The Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 is a great lens and will match in with your ZEISS C/Y 50mm

PS Im also a huge fan of the Canon FD 28mm f2.8 - its very very good and very cheap - so if your camera will take FD lenses its also a very good lens

​Ok great, thanks Andy!

If we leave aside the fact that I wan't to match in with my Zeiss, what others options do I have for a wide lens at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

dont forget Nikon - the Nikon Nikkor 28mm AI-S is an 8 element lens and THE BEST lens Nikon ever made its almost distortion free!

They also do a 24mm AI-S

If you waNt a great all in one lens - shoot almost an enrire movie on just one lens - then the NIKON 28-70MM F2.8 IF ED is THE KING !

This is without doubt a killer lens - everyone on this forum wants the - Cinematic Look - well shoot all day with this lens at f2.8 and you have it - Its has a look very similar to Arri Zeiss Master Primes......nuff said!!  get one!!

dont forget Nikon - the Nikon Nikkor 28mm AI-S is an 8 element lens and THE BEST lens Nikon ever made its almost distortion free!

They also do a 24mm AI-S

If you waNt a great all in one lens - shoot almost an enrire movie on just one lens - then the NIKON 28-70MM F2.8 IF ED is THE KING !

This is without doubt a killer lens - everyone on this forum wants the - Cinematic Look - well shoot all day with this lens at f2.8 and you have it - Its has a look very similar to Arri Zeiss Master Primes......nuff said!!  get one!!

​Ok, thanks I'll take a look ;)

What do you think is a reasonable price for the NIKON 28-70MM F2.8 IF ED on eBay?

try looking for one thats 'broken' with autofocus not working etc

I got one as a spare one very cheap that way as I will never use autofocus as I dont have any Nikon cameras.....£200 broken

​I was wondering that the NIKON 28-70MM F2.8 IF ED would give me the equivalent of a 44 to 112mm equivalent on a super35 size sensor. I was looking for something a little bit wider, with an aperture of f/2.8. Do you have something else wider andy?

Thanks.

Hi Andy....just another thanks for your excellent advice...The AF-S 28-70 Nikon Bourne lens and the AF-S 80-200 lenses are incredible...I also bought the Schneider x.7 adapter...again outstanding optics and bought a 2nd one which I'm using with my FD lens set...works with my FD 20mm 2.8and turns it into a 14mm lens with no vignetting...at 2.8 and that's not even calculating for the speed booster....for a cost of $70!!...Thank you...beyond satisfied with the Nikons and  the 28-70 Tokina 2.6

Cheers, Fritz Pierre

​I was wondering that the NIKON 28-70MM F2.8 IF ED would give me the equivalent of a 44 to 112mm equivalent on a super35 size sensor. I was looking for something a little bit wider, with an aperture of f/2.8. Do you have something else wider andy?

Thanks.

​There is also the nikkor 17-55 2.8 for aps-c cameras. It goes for around 450€ but at that price the sigma 18-35 1.8 starts to look more apealing to me.

​There is also the nikkor 17-55 2.8 for aps-c cameras. It goes for around 450€ but at that price the sigma 18-35 1.8 starts to look more apealing to me.

​Thanks for the answer, it looks nice but it doesn't seem to have a manual aperture which essential for me. 

PS : are you Spanish by any chance? :)

​Hi Andy,

are you talking about the f2.0 or the f2.8?

​One of these! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36925-USA/Nikon_1420_Wide_Angle_28mm_f_2_8.html ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm ).

"this lens has EIGHT elements in EIGHT groups. This allows it a level of correction seen in no other Nikon wide angle [..] This is the sharpest manual-focus wide angle made by Nikon [..] If you want great sharpness and perfectly straight straight lines, go get one of these lenses new or second hand. You'll love it."

I shoot video with a GH2,but it I don't care for it as a stills camera. A friend gave me a nice deal on a 5D classic with a 70-200 f2.8 IS (version 1).  I need at least one fairly wide lens for it.  It seems my Nikon mount Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 that I use on the GH2 could actually be useful on the 5D with only a little vignetting between 28-35mm.  But I can't find an easy way to attach this lens to the 5D without losing control of aperture.

Or if I can't make the Sigma work...
Is it worth trying the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II for the 5D? I've seen that the focus ring is terrible and it's not very sharp wide open.  Any suggestions for a very affordable 50mm or wider lens for the 5D that's at least F1.8? Is it difficult to adapt the aforementioned 50mm Planar or Pancolar to the 5D?