Lenses

Andrew Reid

Hi, would you know a good lens for about 150$, it would have to be a manual, fast prime lens not more than 35mm for the focal length. For EF mount.

Thank you.

Which camera, sensor, Daniel?  an 18mm on a Canon APS-C would be 28mm (but RAW would be 54mm), on a BMpCC it would be 47mm.  Just trying to save Andy a step here ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

with out a doubt the best lens i use alot in this range is the Sigma 30mm f1.4 - in CANON EF mount

stunning lens - I use it on a zhongyi mitakon lens turbo - but I stop it down to f2.8 so when its on the lens turbo its F2

others are carl zeiss 35mm f2.5 Flektogon

yashica ML 35mm f2.8

canon fd 35mm f2.8 - superb lens warm and sharp

Nikon AIS 35mm f2.8 is a great lens but not $150 neither is the Sigma but its the best of the lot in my book.

I'm looking for a small prime to go on my GM1 (just ordered a body) to have the combo always with me. I do not like the manual focussing on my 20mm f1.7, so I'm wondering how is the Oly 17mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.8 lenses for video with manual focus? Anybody got experience with these? I love my Voigtlabder 17.5mm on my GH3, but now I need a fast compact lens.

Zeiss Planar 50mm F1.7 is C/Y mount in my book is the 'KING' of 50mm lenses

It is a superb lens strong Zeiss blacks and rich warm colour tint to it and INSANLY SHARP!

It is my favourite go to 50mm lens - I do prefer it to the 50mm f1.4 which is a bit more washed out wide open at f1.4

you can find these if you hunt around for about £80 on ebay

or get the Rollei QBM HFT 50mm F1.8 which is practically the same spec Zeiss lens just alot cheaper these go for about 50 quid on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLEI-HFT-50MM-F1-8-PLANAR-SL35-QBM-MOUNT-FAST-PRIME-LENS-TESTED-NORTHCAM-/291263649881?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item43d0aa9859

Anyone tried this M42 to M43 focal reducer? What are you using Andy? Also, what are the best gear rings for smaller vintage type lenses? I have the strap type ones which are giving me the shits and I have alot of approx 52 -58mm lenses and all the gear rings I see on Ebay are too big??

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141106110809&SearchText=Speed+Booster

Here's some quick sample footage of the RE Topcor 35mm (2.8) and RE Topcor 100mm (2.8) on a Sony a7.  (Other footage a6k+kit).  

You're right Andy, these are some nice lenses!  Glad I took the plunge!  Wikipedia says they were manufactured between 1963 and 1971.

Here's a 100mm still

>

And a 35mm

>

Both have some mild PS work.

they do have a very nice warm look to them Maxotics! good for getting rid of that harsh digital look and give a more film like feel to the image.

when they where made they where top end lenses more expensive than Nikons !!

I have never seen these lenses used before so its a nice test thanks for doing it .....Im tempted to find some now!!

Here's some quick sample footage of the RE Topcor 35mm (2.8) and RE Topcor 100mm (2.8) on a Sony a7.  (Other footage a6k+kit).  

You're right Andy, these are some nice lenses!  Glad I took the plunge!  Wikipedia says they were manufactured between 1963 and 1971.

Here's a 100mm still

>

And a 35mm

>

Both have some mild PS work.

Very nice look, thank you for sharing this lens.

You are tempting me to get the 100mm f2.8,  it's quite expensive though.

I have found on ebay a Topcon UV Topcor 135mm 1:4 Tokyo Kogaku Japan, is there a big difference between those 2 lenses? apart from the fact of 135mm and f4?

Thank you

@ Maxotics and @ Andy

I am looking for a 100mm lenses to pair with my anamorphic lenses, that have a distinct cinematic warm non digital look, single coated if it's possible.

I am on a 5D, what do you guys recommend ?

At the moment I am using a Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 which is fine but I'd like to change sometimes and a jupiter 9 which vignettes at close aperture.

Any advices will be appreciated as I am not an expert when it comes to choose lenses.

I envy you guys in a positive way of course, for being so prepared on this topic.

Please any tips on different lenses will be great!!!!

Thank you again! :)

@comurit.  I'm just a hobbyist, Andy works at this professionally.  Anyway, my two cents.  Your latest video on Vimeo is really nice.  If you're shooting RAW you have so much latitude in getting any degree of warmth or coolness.  The benefit of an old lens on my a7 is that it shoots H.264, so I can't change the image much in post--at least, that's my belief--so you need to get your warmth from the lens, or before compression.  However, I didn't purposely buy these lenses because they were warm.  I just enjoy trying stuff out.  I do plan on continuing to use the lenses, of course.  

If I was shooting 5D RAW I'd get a set of Rokinon Primes.  They are an incredible bang for the buck.  I've never shot anamorphic, so you know more than I. 

@comurit.  I'm just a hobbyist, Andy works at this professionally.  Anyway, my two cents.  Your latest video on Vimeo is really nice.  If you're shooting RAW you have so much latitude in getting any degree of warmth or coolness.  The benefit of an old lens on my a7 is that it shoots H.264, so I can't change the image much in post--at least, that's my belief--so you need to get your warmth from the lens, or before compression.  However, I didn't purposely buy these lenses because they were warm.  I just enjoy trying stuff out.  I do plan on continuing to use the lenses, of course.  

If I was shooting 5D RAW I'd get a set of Rokinon Primes.  They are an incredible bang for the buck.  I've never shot anamorphic, so you know more than I. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am an hobbyist too,  thanks for your advice anyway, I'll see if Andy has some more tips.

I don't think  I can pair the rokinon with the anamorphic, I think vintage ones are more suitable.

I also enjoy once in a while trying  different stuff.

Take care!