Lenses

Andrew Reid

4k sample of the 42.5mm here :)

Looks like an enticing lens. I was only just recently looking into something of this focal length.

On another note, does anyone have any advice on cleaning rubber zoom/focus barrels? I want to clean my Sigma 18-35mm up. That rubber has picked up a fair amount of dust and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Wide angle converters - has anyone used any half decent ones? I want to find a cheap, small alternative to my Tokina 11-16 (with mft speed booster) for my BMPCC and G6. I'm probably going to buy the Panny 14mm 2.5 as a pocketable 'normal' lens (on the BMPCC) and I'm wondering about trying a converter to make it wider. Panasonic do an official one that makes it 11mm, but it's expensive and not that radical a change in focal length. I'm happy to put up with a bit of 'character' as I'll use the Tokina for critical stuff.

There are some VERY cheap ones on ebay, so I might just give one of them a punt ...

olympus x0.7 and x0.8 are good and cheap

just check your lens diameter first use step ring to fit

also if you have large front glass Century make some superb ones - there is a tread on this somewhere on the forum I went into detail on these a year or so ago .have a look

they do work well Century ones have the best glass Matt

Minolta make very good lenses they are overlooked by many as they will not fit on Canon EF mounts as the flange focal distance is too short - so they go cheap on ebay for that reason .

They make some very nice lenses the 45mm F2 is great and the 25-35mm f3.5 zoom is superb and cheap too as is the 35-70mm f3.5 that pairs very nicely with it - both constant apperture lenses !

they work great on micro 4/3 and sony nex cameras with adapters

They also make great medium format lenses too

I've stumbled across something that might be interesting to Full Frame and S35 shooters in particular: the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5. It's a relatively modern lens (from around 2000) so it will have the benefit of modern coatings. Optically, it seems to be well-regarded, though the lens construction is not supposed to be anything to write home about.

What's interesting about it to me is that the front filter does not rotate while zooming or focusing, AND it has a manual aperture (if you get the Nikon or Pentax mount versions) -- this is really unusual. The Pentax version allegedly focuses in the Canon direction too. Declicked and treated as a constant f/4.5, this could be a decent poor man's cine zoom.

not sure if this is against your forum's policy or not Andrew but here goes:

I'm separating from my beloved Nikkor prime lenses, the fastest of their kind, great for low-light shooting, two of them declicked; 

On Ebay:

no reserve price...

I've stumbled across something that might be interesting to Full Frame and S35 shooters in particular: the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5. It's a relatively modern lens (from around 2000) so it will have the benefit of modern coatings. Optically, it seems to be well-regarded, though the lens construction is not supposed to be anything to write home about.

What's interesting about it to me is that the front filter does not rotate while zooming or focusing, AND it has a manual aperture (if you get the Nikon or Pentax mount versions) -- this is really unusual. The Pentax version allegedly focuses in the Canon direction too. Declicked and treated as a constant f/4.5, this could be a decent poor man's cine zoom.

nice find will have to get one to try out , how sharp is it?

It should be getting in tomorrow. I'll let you know. I have high hopes!

Here's what the good folks over at Dyxum had to say about it: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sigma-24-135mm-F2.8-4.5-Aspherical-IF_lens130.html

Many older Sigma film lens used in DSLR is only working at max aperture.  I would like to buy Canon lens, also cheap.  I have 35-135 and 70-210 f3.5-4.5, both are very sharp, each cost about $80.  And most important, the front lens/filter thread will not rotate.

Many older Sigma film lens used in DSLR is only working at max aperture.  I would like to buy Canon lens, also cheap.  I have 35-135 and 70-210 f3.5-4.5, both are very sharp, each cost about $80.  And most important, the front lens/filter thread will not rotate.

I have it in hand (very cheap and plasticky build quality) and I'm debating whether or not to do the K-mount to EF surgery. It doesn't look like the motion of the aperture would be hindered. I'd simply be shortening the protruding lever (I would love to find a way to do this without cutting it). As is, it is already very responsive to the aperture ring. Can you elaborate on what you mean about the max aperture?

The alternative to the "surgery" would be to hunt down a Pentax camera to demo the lens.

Unless I am mistaken, the Canon 35-135 has an internal aperture control only, and extends significantly when zoomed which means that you can't really use it with a follow focus.

Sounds very usable , I have a Canon 24-105 on a speedbooster thats very good it makes it a constant f2.8,

this sigma goes that bit futher to 135mm which is very useful to have especially for face shots with extreeme bokeh separation from backgrounds

the big plus is the manual apperture!

I think Im gonna get one - thanks for the tip off!

That was my thinking as well. 24-135mm on full frame translates to an S35 focal range equivalent of 16-90mm, which is pretty close to that Fujinon Cabrio that everyone wishes they had.

There's also a cheaper (and more abundant) Sigma 28-135mm f/3.8-5.6 that is supposed to have a non-rotating filter thread, a non-shifting focus ring, and a manual aperture if you get the Pentax or Nikon mounts, but I don't have that one.

Wide angle converters - has anyone used any half decent ones? I want to find a cheap, small alternative to my Tokina 11-16 (with mft speed booster) for my BMPCC and G6. I'm probably going to buy the Panny 14mm 2.5 as a pocketable 'normal' lens (on the BMPCC) and I'm wondering about trying a converter to make it wider. Panasonic do an official one that makes it 11mm, but it's expensive and not that radical a change in focal length. I'm happy to put up with a bit of 'character' as I'll use the Tokina for critical stuff.

There are some VERY cheap ones on ebay, so I might just give one of them a punt ...

I just ordered an ultra slim one, but not arrive yet.  I think size matters.  OM lenses have good reputation.