Lenses

Andrew Reid

2 days ago, hearing about the tragic death of Ben Kweller's son (very sad news indeed - Ben almost died from monoxide carbon intoxication when rising to success, stopped his career for 9 years, and was just coming back to form, and is a very gentle guy), I remembered that I shot videos from some song in his Rio's concert in 2012 with a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 Macro made by Kiron.

Never used it as a macro, but as a tele...maybe is the sharpest old lens that I have, tied with the Contax-Zeiss 135mm f/2.8. In fact, is so sharp that it looks like a modern lens. Got it for around US$90, with original box, just returned from CLA - it is pristine, without a single dust spec, to this day. Good times.

This was the video - GH2 with Sanity hack, no Ibis or manual focus aids. Vimeo dropped the resolution to 720p, the original file is much sharper. Another remembering - the GH2 mics were superb, the audio is from the on board mics, only with a little EQ.

And all my thoughts to Ben - after this gig he spent hours talking with the fans, taking photos, always with a smile in his face. Hope that that smile returns soon.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, canonlyme said:

@mercer since I haven't seen you / been on here for a while: How is it going with your minolta lens journey? 🙂 I am contemplating buying a 100mm 2.5 minolta to complete my minolta set. If I remember correctly you and your friend on the harbour sold me on some of the minolta lenses couple years back. 

Hey sorry I just noticed this. I still have a few Minolta lenses. I can't use many with my 5D3, but there are a couple that can be easily modified. I believe the one you're referring to from the harbour is the 58mm 1.4. It's a great lens, especially what I paid for it. It's an older model so the coatings aren't as good as some of their MD lenses, but it has a specific look, like most Minolta lenses.

I started shooting some film stills and got a great deal on an old XD11 that had a 35mm 1.8 attached to it. I recently used the lens with the Sigma FP and got some pretty good results. I think the older MC version may be a bit better but the MD versions are so tiny and light that they're hard to not like if you can find one for a good price. Another one I always liked, but don't own anymore was the 28mm f/2. I had the new MD version and it was excellent. I like a lot of the new MD version for their smaller size and more modern coatings.

With that said, I have been building a set of Nikkors so my Minolta obsession has been put on hold. I also don't know how much longer I'll have a camera that can use my MDs.

Here's a shot from the 35mm 1.8 MD on the FP...

1714475188_SigmaFP-Leaf-Res709.thumb.jpg.be24d4dd77443bcb9ce9e9e3971e4743.jpg

I've been running some tests over the past 6 months or so with different cameras and lenses trying to simplify my entire workflow and gear. Over the years, in search of the perfect camera/lens(es) combo(s) I've become a slave to the gear that collects dust in my closet.

Anyway, I feel like I know which direction best suits me, but I figured I'd share some of my results.

Here are a couple frames from the Sigma FP and Nikkor 24mm f/2 ai-s lens. I've never really been a huge fan of wide angle lenses but there is a good reason to have one in my kit. On other cameras, I have found the Nikon lens to be lacking and it's flaws show, but I could always recognize that there is something funky and great about the lens, especially wide open. It wasn't until I shot it with the FP that I saw its true potential...FAEA2A83-855F-493B-B8E2-D3FB7881327F.thumb.jpeg.926072cedf878d46e0488fc75f06210b.jpeg

312430E6-9DB1-4A59-B002-C50E326839F5.thumb.jpeg.88362b77c2489cad3a84f18088e7fcda.jpeg

My color work probably needs some tweaks, as they look a little too contrasty for my normal tastes.

Just bought an older Nikon 17-35 2.8 IF-ED lens, adapted to the Nikon Z6 via the FTZ adapter.  Only got to use it for a very brief time, as the focus motor gets stuck at infinity!  If it were not for this problem the lens would have been awesome; be weary of Adorama's "good" rating.  Have to return it now; such a bummer as the lens itself is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Looking for recommendations on a full frame vintage zoom lens.

Between 24/28 and 50/70mm since I mostly use a 35mm and a 50mm when the distortion is a little bit much but want to have the versatility of a wider option for some cases.

Aperture of 2.8 or 3.5 and can flare easily!

Thank you in advance 🙂

22 hours ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

Hello all, 

Looking for recommendations on a full frame vintage zoom lens.

Between 24/28 and 50/70mm since I mostly use a 35mm and a 50mm when the distortion is a little bit much but want to have the versatility of a wider option for some cases.

Aperture of 2.8 or 3.5 and can flare easily!

Thank you in advance 🙂

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/2550mm.htm

There's the Nikkor 25 50. I bought one, on eBay, 2 years ago, for $100. It only opens to F4 and is really good from F5.6. It is parofocal with three rings; aperture/focal/focus. I've already posted a short video test on XT4 (apsC) on this forum. 

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/397291419

Password : nikkor2550

• Super Members

I'd give a mention to the Contax Zeiss 28-85mm f3.4/4

Its a bit annoying in that its a push/pull zoom design but its very nice optically and has not gone crazy in price like many other CZ lenses.

If you don't mind paying a bit more and have a more limited range at both ends then the 35-70mm f3.4 is a great option.

In my previous post, I mentioned that I was going through my lenses and thinning the herd. Well today I have a few samples from the Zeiss ZF Classic 50mm 1.4.

I bought this lens a couple years ago for VERY little money. The body had a little wear, but the price was so good, I decided it was worth it and if I didn't like it, I could EASILY recoup my costs. When the lens arrived, it had a couple issues... the Nikon F to EF adapter that was included (a "bonus!" according to the seller) was stuck on the lens... the lever that is used to release the adapter from the mount was broken off. At the time it wasn't a huge deal because I was using it on an EF camera.

Here's a frame from it on my 5D3 with ML Raw...608742C2-7065-4308-B328-DA9BED104E27.thumb.jpeg.88ba74b6f47ce362c5bc1c747f903767.jpeg

So it seemed to be a good sample but when I tried to attach a VND, I quickly realized that the threads were messed up... I could screw the filter in but it definitely wasn't right. By the feel and sound of it, it seems like the lens was dropped in the dirt. Luckily, nothing was affected mechanically, or optically, so it's no huge issue. Eventually, I'll buy a step up ring but for testing purposes, a filter will screw on with enough patience.

Anyway, I bought a Sigma FP last fall and since then I have been testing different lenses with it looking for a simple little set up. So far I like the camera. It has a pretty nice image, but I'm not wowed by the IQ like I was when I first bought my 5D3... but that's a story for another time.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I built a basic set of fast Nikkor ai-s lenses and I plan on selling off everything else. I'll keep a few random lenses that I really like.

Back to the Zeiss... to test it with the FP, I needed to remove that damn bent adapter. Well it was no match for a pair of dykes and some needle nose pliers. In mere minutes I turned the "bonus!" adapter into a pile of metal shards.

So, after enlisting my actor friend, I decided to take the lens out for a test run with the FP.

Here are the results...6A7305AE-BDF0-41DB-81C6-8F8EE888C5EA.thumb.jpeg.16257a08b934574c0f11d89f96bf1300.jpeg

359E9046-E23E-4743-A532-F7472FA00C19.thumb.jpeg.419d9bbdedc400071bb82340f8ed168f.jpeg

566B1A57-E93F-4E92-96E4-88A604BA589B.thumb.jpeg.6bb08d3456077965d944e84535ee1fb5.jpeg

As I mentioned earlier, I have a hot and cold feeling toward the FP, but on that day, maybe it was the light, or the beat up, pseudo-modern Zeiss optics, I think I have one of those random keeper lens...

Now I just need to refrain from building a set of Zeiss lenses...

Easier said than done.

Thanks for reading my long, unscientific, anecdotal review.

1234F642-E657-41F8-9BF4-F3E244F81337.jpeg

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, mercer said:

But the price was so good, I decided it was worth it and if I didn't like it, I could EASILY recoup my costs

My unfeasibly patient and indulgent wife meeting me outside every 2nd hand lens shop in Tokyo next week when I use that exact same line.

okv.gif.cf29e43cd3f385cda3172418fa3eeec8.gif

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, mercer said:

As I mentioned earlier, I have a hot and cold feeling toward the FP, but on that day, maybe it was the light, or the beat up, pseudo-modern Zeiss optics

That FP is just fooling with your emotions at this point 😉

Alternative viewpoint to those excellent images though is that it might just have something to do with the person taking them.

28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That FP is just fooling with your emotions at this point 😉

Alternative viewpoint to those excellent images though is that it might just have something to do with the person taking them.

I really think it is... one day I'll take it out and I'll be damned if I can get something I like from it, the next day, I'm floored by the images.

So that leads me to believe it's user error... or the lens and camera's fault... I prefer the latter.

I'm reminded of a line from a sitcom episode I saw a while ago... "I have 2 or 3 moves in the bedroom and if they don't work, she must've had a lot on her mind."

That explains my skills with cinematography and color grading... if one of my moves don't work... the camera was in a mood.

58 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

This is an interesting comparison between this lens and a modern equivalent.

That was an interesting comparison. It's amazing that with more technical advances in lens making, how boring the image has become.

To briefly change the subject and keep me from doing a deep dive... do you know anything about the 28-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens? It used to get so-so reviews compared to the "older" Zeiss C/Y zooms with some people speculating that it isn't even a true Zeiss lens. I read that it was released in '98, do you know if that was still a Yashica manufactured lens, or did Cosina take over production by then? If so, it could be a stand in at f/5.6 when I NEED a 28mm or 70mm FOV to go with my ZF lens.

• Super Members
11 hours ago, mercer said:

To briefly change the subject and keep me from doing a deep dive... do you know anything about the 28-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens?

No, I have the 28-85mm f3.3/4 and the 35-70mm f3.4 but have no experience of the 28-70mm f3.5/4.5.

If I see one cheap enough next week then maybe I should get it as, of course, as we all know,  if I don’t like it, I could, erm, EASILY recoup my costs 😉 

I wished there was a small mechanical S16 2x or 3x zoom as a carry around lens for my OG Bmpcc and Bmmcc. There are none.

Smallest one I found would be the Dzo 10-24 T2.9, which covers M43 sensor size. It still comes at a 1.1kg though. Reaching S1H territory here, though it would be the other way around, heavy camera plus a light and tiny Tokina 25-50:) The super rare S16 Cooke 3x Zoom is .. well, super rare, expensive and heavy, at around 3kg. The DZO costs around 1700 Euro. There are no cheapo C-mount alternatives afaik. What are your findings and thoughts on this?