Lenses

Andrew Reid

On 10/6/2021 at 3:52 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Not exactly a full blown holiday but had a few days away so took the Osmo Pocket and the Freewell anamorphic adapter to test this theory out and these are grabs from 4K/24p videos.

It does OK and its certainly unobtrusive enough in terms of carrying it and using it without attracting any attention.

The problem with the Mark 1 though here is that the FOV isn't quite big enough (which is something the vlogging/selfie crowd didn't like about it) so you can end up shooting low and up which fucks the verticals up.

The Mark 2 with its wider lens and its ability to use ND and anamorphic simultaneously (its either or with the Mark 1) is now showing me a lot of ankle.

Wouldn't have picked you for an ankle kinda guy, but each to their own. 😉  Good to see someone is out and about. love the pics, and its interesting to see other places around the world. 

I dont have an osmo pocket. However i have setup the gopro 9 with a letus anamorphic on a crane m2 gimbal, to cover my anamorphic fetish.  The letus vignettes on super view, so im stuck with the linear and  narrow fov, which honestly doesn't bother me much as i never really liked the fisheye look anyway. I did have a couple of people come up and have a chat about the gopro9  at carnell raceway a couple of weeks ago, so i'd hardly call my setup unobtrusive. 

My brother and i start our own little holiday on Saturday morning about 5ish, 3 week 4wd road trip. One Simpson desert, 600 kilometers 1200 sand dunes. Uluru and usual places of interest,  probably some out of the way places as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

FP_Voigt_15_2.thumb.jpg.3745bf499c0672848a4c3cba85df6536.jpgVoigtlander 15mm f4.5 VM III on a Sigma FP 

Goddamn you... stop tempting me to buy an FP...

Seriously though, great shot. I love the contrast and the color. Your compositions are always so smart too. I love how you use your blacks to fade away, yet into your subjects.

• Super Members
16 hours ago, mercer said:

Seriously though, great shot. I love the contrast and the color. Your compositions are always so smart too. I love how you use your blacks to fade away, yet into your subjects.

Thank.

But, of course, as usual, I will say that any resemblance to deliberate intent when I'm pointing the camera or randomly fiddling with sliders later is purely coincidental !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Another opportunity for a trip so another chance to test the Osmo Pocket and Freewell Anamorphic combo (4K/24p mode).

OSMO_BCN_COMP_small.thumb.jpg.6f09949e0d034dacfde1556c6169e74d.jpg

I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to move to the Pocket 2 now as being able to use the anamorphic and ND simultaneously combined with the larger sensor and slightly wider native lens will be a worthwhile upgrade.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:51 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Both ends of the 10.9-34mm f1.7-2.8 lens of the Panasonic LX100 (4K/24p video grabs)

BCN_COMP.thumb.jpg.5ea7bc12d5b7ba6de584e32996df837f.jpg

I don't consider myself to be any sort of pixel peeper. So pardon my ignorance, i don't mind the top image, however the bottom image looks abit soft or lacks detail to me, is it a crop ? Just trying to figure out, what gives ?

• Super Members
6 hours ago, leslie said:

I don't consider myself to be any sort of pixel peeper. So pardon my ignorance, i don't mind the top image, however the bottom image looks abit soft or lacks detail to me, is it a crop ? Just trying to figure out, what gives ?

You are missing the subtleties of the LX100 producing an organic diffuse image that it is rendering with a soft film like grain.

No, hang on, scratch that, I was missing the stupidity that I had chosen to export a duff frame out of the sequence where the focus was off. 

• 5 weeks later...

Latest random internet purchase arrived today...  

Everyone, meet Miranda:

IMG_4987.jpg

Miranda is an M42 28mm F2.8 lens made in Japan, pictured on the M42 speed booster, with the GX85.  No clue about anything else about her.

Here are some test images, all taken wide open, with 4K CineD profile and SOOC on a 1080p timeline.

GX85_Miranda_28mm_at_f2.8_outside_test_1

It looks like the corners are crazily soft.  They are soft, but the focal plane is actually very curved, so an object to the side of the frame has to be quite a lot further back to be in focus than something in the middle of the frame in focus.  Maybe I can take nice footage of curved buildings, or beachballs.

Flares are nicely controlled but aren't too modern...   shaded vs unshaded from direct sun:

I'm really happy that she's sharp wide open in the centre, which my only other m42 28mm F2.8 lens, a Yashica Yashinon, was most definitely not.  This matters as I often use the 2X digital zoom in-camera to punch in for close-ups.

I am, however, a little nervous about how 'vintage' she is.  I do have a number of other more modern options for similar focal lengths though, so I'm not locked into the look and so it'll be a fun process.  I'm also not that familiar with shooting on the 44mm equivalent focal length.

I have heard of miranda before.  I'd have to  say the reviews i found weren't exactly glowing (no pun intended). May i suggest a cheap lens hood, and if you do any portraiture use some bald people. Not that i wish to marginalize anyone,  just continuing with the round theme 🤔   

I had a set of viltrox extension tubes in mft  turn up a few day ago. Yet to experiment with them. A very quick play with them, shows that they do allow the auto focus between the Olympus 60mm macro and omd e-m10 to work, although the focus does  hunt backwards and forwards more than you would expect. More experimentation required.

23 hours ago, leslie said:

I have heard of miranda before.  I'd have to  say the reviews i found weren't exactly glowing (no pun intended). May i suggest a cheap lens hood, and if you do any portraiture use some bald people.

LOL.

There are always people that only take photos of brick walls ready to pounce with bad reviews on things they don't understand!  

"The A7S3 is a terrible product because it easily breaks when I'm pounding in nails with it to extend my house.  I prefer a $5 hammer.  Sony are idiots!!"  -- Typical internet moron

The challenge with photo lenses is that the internet is full of pixel-peeing photographers, and now is also full of pixel-peeing videographers, who have very different needs and priorities to those of us who are interested in cinema, rather than prints.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:23 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to move to the Pocket 2 now as being able to use the anamorphic and ND simultaneously combined with the larger sensor and slightly wider native lens will be a worthwhile upgrade.

i'm really quite jealous of all this anamorphic goodness now that i have an ipone 13 turn up. im looking at getting the sandmark or moment anamorphic. Which ever one gives me the golden flare. something a little different perhaps, but blue is a little over done i feel. Gold may give me an edge especially since i do like a good sunset.  Sunrises tend to be elusive beasts, not sure why 😎

swan-sunset.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Some Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 M mount stuff on the Sigma fp from a recent trip to the frozen-ish north to see the in laws.

The vignette and slight softness when shooting wide open makes it quite suitable for festive stuff !

Didn't shoot RAW so these are grabs from 4K all-i mov files. 

cph21.thumb.jpg.4a4cfc60c3d1ed64f2cb1213d6d859e0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Strongly tempted to buy this speedbooster or one like it, fairly soon.nikon.thumb.jpg.2bae6293f234f84737d9327acd5cb099.jpg

I have 1 tokina  and 2 nikons  in nf mount. This speed booster is nikon g mount. i do have a straight nf adapter to the p4k. However i'd like to claw back some of that crop factor and get a little bit more light, out of the setup.   My question is,  does nikon nf fit a nikon g mount ? doesn't bother me if there's no electronic contact. I'd rather not spent a truck load of money on something, then find out they don't fit together. Obviously i'm not a nikon kinda guy apart from the three lenses, hence the probably dumb question.

• Super Members
On 1/12/2022 at 1:40 AM, leslie said:

I have 1 tokina  and 2 nikons  in nf mount. This speed booster is nikon g mount. i do have a straight nf adapter to the p4k. However i'd like to claw back some of that crop factor and get a little bit more light, out of the setup.   My question is,  does nikon nf fit a nikon g mount ? doesn't bother me if there's no electronic contact. I'd rather not spent a truck load of money on something, then find out they don't fit together. Obviously i'm not a nikon kinda guy apart from the three lenses, hence the probably dumb question.

It might sound counter intuitive but, even though you've got F mount lenses, I'd look at getting the EF version instead and using an F to EF adapter on it.

The reason being is that you get no electronic control of Nikon lenses with the Nikon version anyway so you aren't losing anything there but what you will gain is more flexibility by being able to put EF lenses on it as well, where you will get electronic control from the P4K.

So, if you do get any EF or EF-S lenses, you will be able to use aperture control and one shot AF but also take advantage of the IS on the lens if it has it, which can be a boon with the P4K.

With the EF mount being shallower than the F mount, there is no lens you can adapt to F that you can't also adapt to EF so you don't lose anything there either.

On the contrary, you actually gain several mount options, including C/Y and M42, that can be adapted to EF with simple adapters whereas you would need adapters with optical elements to use them with Nikon F and maintain infinity focus.

@leslie You could also get a cheapo focal reducer with 0.71 factor instead for less than 90USD. Yeah, following the route BTMPix is describing has all the mentioned advantages. A single adapter solution could provied better fit without the jiggle of a seconde adapter and without uncertainties such as lacklaster infinity focus due to mediocore quality of second adapter and so on.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The reason being is that you get no electronic control of Nikon lenses with the Nikon version anyway so you aren't losing anything there but what you will gain is more flexibility by being able to put EF lenses on it as well, where you will get electronic control from the P4K.

Yup, my BMMCC came with the Metabones Nikon speedbooster, but I really would have preferred the Canon version for those reasons. The Canon 17-55mm would have been a joy to use with the Micro as well as the 35mm f/2.

Thanks guys, the ef idea sounds good and i do already have  7-8  m42 lens as well. I'm kinda put off by the cheap adapters i already have. Of the 2 viltrox adapters i have one straight through and one speed boosted, one of them have nearly as much play as a kindergarden yard and the even cheaper adapters m42 to ef aren't any  better.

i'm probably obsessed with 0.64 thing but i figure i may as well go wide and claw back as much  as i can. 

i figure by buying the g mount for my nikons at least then that should eliminate any play for those lenses. If i buy an ef mount then i have to find an adapter with tight tolerances and i feel trying to find such a beast off ebay  is up there with finding a unicorn.

The cheap ebay adapters leave a lot to be desired. That may not be everyone's experience, but it has been mine. I do have an account  with B&h photo, would buying a name brand adapter say m42 to ef be  a better option ?