Lenses

Andrew Reid

On 3/11/2020 at 7:21 AM, mercer said:

It looks like that Voigt 40mm and the F3 is a winning combo. What strength ProMist did you use? It looks gorgeous!

It's a promist 1/4. A little strong for me usually but has an incredible look if you get the sun the frame.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

@Zach Goodwin2 Hallo Zach, you might like the Tokina 25-50mm F4 zoom. One of the fun finds by Andy Lee, who started this thread long time ago. You could get it in Pentax or Nikon mount and adapt it to your EF mount camera. You can get them for less than 15 dollars or even less than ten! Great 2x range and quality. Nice haptic quality and great size. Got mine for less than 15 bucks with shipping included!

Anyone know of a good adhesive for repairing a lens? The front filter thread/hood part of my Canon TV-16 25mm is slightly loose (and can be easily unscrewed). This wouldn't really bother me if I were using the lens as is, but I want to use it as a taking lens for Anamorphic, and a slight focus turn skews it out of alignment. Anyone have any experience repairing lenses who can recommend an adhesive that's safe to use with a lens?

BMMCC (ProRes LT), Sankor 16c, VidAtlantic Clamp, Cosmicar 25mm f/1.9 c-mount lens, Tiffen +1, +2, +4 diopters, Tiffen +1/2 Split Diopter, Firecrest IRND

I really love this camera/lens combination, and I'm happy to be shooting anamorphic again after selling my previous lenses 6 years ago. The BMMCC's Super 16 sensor goes well with anamorphic because you can still get a shallow enough DOF, but deep enough wide open to be usable/practical. You get sharp, low light anamorphic that's actually in focus (this whole video was shot wide open at f/1.9. I can get similarly sharp/usable results at f/1.4 with my Canon TV-16 25mm, which is why I need to fix it).

I'm getting nikkor lenses from now on, either that or Olympus lenses. Maybe I would get m42 mount lenses. I understand the quality of Edmika mount FD lenses look great, but at the moment the lens mount chipped apart from my camera and it fell on the floor. The rear of the lens is made from undurable plastic. Another complaint I have is that it takes too long to get it perfectly just right to mount the Edmika mount requiring a screwdriver with the right amount of precision and timing on a lens. The guy who sells the mounts takes too long to ship the lens mounts as well. The Edmika mounts are only good if you are using them for a short amount of time as over time they wear out. I do not recommend Edmika any more.

I wish the newer g2 tamron lenses were compatible with the Canon C series line of cameras.

If the lenses were compatible, I can imagine the image stabilization helping out a lot with funky pan and tilt, odd crane movements, and the difficulties of using a shoulder rig all being helped out with this lens. I can especially imagine when someone would be getting their muscles a bit stiff and vibration-reduction would help out.

Well then, the Sigma Art series of lenses and some of their other lenses will do fine as a replacement of tamron, since all I would need to do would be to use in body stabilization for the prime lenses and optical stabilization for the zoom lenses. Good, so now there would be less worrying about messing up with certain movements and I can still get good auto-focus. Now, the amount of takes would be less and so there would be a great film made in less time with less stress placed on the actors.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@JordanWright Hallo, a few words from you about the Tokina would be cool. I know, a lot has been written about it. But I can never get enough of some beautiful lens reports. I even own one myself but never got around to buy a better adapter for it and get beyond 8 metres of distance.

Best thing about that lens is how natural the falloff is and the lack of breathing. 

This is an older Test I did with it, jump to 4:12 to see samples and how "smooth" it is. 

The Tokina is the lens I always seem to go back to. I think this is my 3rd copy, I'll probably never let it go again. I paid much less than £200 each time. I sold the Sigma zooms because I rarely used them after my most recent copy.

Mechanically it's a dream at its price point. The lens doesn't extend and the focus ring has hard stops. It would make a great cine-mod lens. It also has a short throw, good for handheld pulling. The zoom ring is quite stiff, you won't be zooming mid shot.  It feels well built, it'll survive a few knocks. The AF system seems to be broken on every one of these I've used, but that usually means they sell at a cheaper price.

Optically, it's not the sharpest lens in the world but also not noticeably soft even wide open on a SB. This is where I sort of miss the sigma zooms. It also doesn't focus very close (0.7m) 28mm on the lens really sings when filming people, really wish I could get a bit closer. The lens also isn't par focal, but its not far off, it only needs minor adjustments. Breathing is very well controlled. On the wide end, the lens distorts a touch more than a modern lens, but I quite how it falls off.

The lens flares really change through the focal length, I always experiment with the zoom when there's flares. Around 35mm if one of my favourites, you get some cool thin red rings. The lens flares very easily, I like it for narrative stuff but always have some black wrap or gaff tape on hand for corporate shoots.

It's such an all rounder zoom lens to have in the bag, just enough character for narrative work but can also clean up when it needs to.

The tokina 2.6-2.8 is definitely one of my favorites and probably one of the lenses I've had the longest.

I have no intention of selling mine, it's just so great. I'm still very happy with it.

I have gotten other zooms that I use a bit more regularly these days (Nikon 28-70 2.8 and Samsung 16-50 2-2.8), but that tokina is just epic.