Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, kye said:

Great looking images.  Nice work, and really cool to have that resource.  

What kind of projects are you shooting with it?

Gearing up for a very large documentary in terms of volume of footage, cannot afford the hard drive space to shoot it 4K off my Nikon Z6. Want LOG for grading flexibility.  Also desired something with long battery life and internal ND's. At this point the F3 is looking like the ideal for me that I already have access to. 

Also shooting a low budget feature soon (If financing comes through), so deciding what to shoot it on. Thinking of using the 2 F3's for it and renting high end cinema glass and a grip truck, instead of renting cameras and  having less to spend on lenses/lights. It's a horror film that doesn't need a 4k deliverable.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:01 AM, Geoff CB said:

Yes it can get a 10-bit 4:2:2 signal to the original BMVA. It's a pretty great combo now.

Good to know, thanks! As I've said ad nauseum, I am happy with my current set up, but it's possible my next camera will be a proper cinema camera and it's obvious from your samples, the F3 is still more than capable of a relevant image.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:01 AM, Geoff CB said:

I moved back to Cape Cod, missed it greatly when I was in philly. The media center is up here is pretty great, they have gear and edit stations as well. https://capemedia.org/    A great bunch, filmmakers, some VFX and audio engineers work their. Really a priceless resource up here.  

I figured from the snow on the ground that you weren't in Philly anymore.

What a great resource though. Hopefully you can take advantage of it for your future films. Do you have any plans to make/direct your own films?

Also since you have some Nikon lenses... have you ever used the Nikkor 20-35mm 2.8 D?  

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Also since you have some Nikon lenses... have you ever used the Nikkor 20-35mm 2.8 D?  

I have, it has great rendering and very little distortion, also the manual focus ring is better than the 17-35 or 16-35.  Unfortunately it has a horrendous minimum focus distance that was bad enough that it did effect it's use for video and photography.

Some more of the F3, Internal S-log with Nikon 24-70 F2.8 G

F3 Internal_1.26.1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I got the bunch of f/2.8D ED ones after I found out about their 'Bourne' affiliation. 😛 17-35, 28-70 & 80-200mm. Nikkors like that are proper workhorses!

Those are all cheap and built like tanks. I really did not gel with the 17-35 when I had it though, did not enjoy it's out of focus rendering compared to the others

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

A couple from the 7Artisans 35mm f2 M mount on its new friend the Sigma FP.

This is a pretty good value for money lens and its diminutive size makes it a good combination with the FP.

7Artisans35mm_COMP.thumb.jpg.4e428cbe58ece6ab267bd0da478866c8.jpg

Sigma should post these on their website. Are these photos or video frames? Either way, they look like shots from a Hollywood movie. 

So... how do you like the FP? I've been patiently waiting your thoughts. Lol. 

23 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Got my Sony  F3, excited to use it on shoots.

Voigtlander 40mm with Promist Filter

morning Leaf_1.23.2.jpg

Voigtlander 40mm, no filter. 

cece in the light_1.25.1.jpg

It looks like that Voigt 40mm and the F3 is a winning combo. What strength ProMist did you use? It looks gorgeous!

• Super Members
14 hours ago, mercer said:

Sigma should post these on their website. Are these photos or video frames? Either way, they look like shots from a Hollywood movie. 

A very low budget one made by interns though !

They are stills but its not exactly full moot but certainly moot-ish when it comes to this camera because not only are the CinemaDNG files very much in the same ballpark quality wise but its 440Mbps ALL-I mov mode is pretty malleable as well.

This is not exactly a great content example at all and is far from being a deliberate A/B test (it happened because I accidentally had it in Movie mode when I was meant to to take a still :) ) and it has different framing and in motion etc but hopefully offers some sort of illustration.

The top frame is a DNG still and the bottom one is sourced from a screenshot JPEG of the UHD mov file in VLC and then they're coloured to sort of match.

DNGvsMOV.thumb.jpg.70e4fb37cbf30b56927620228cd282b7.jpg

14 hours ago, mercer said:

So... how do you like the FP? I've been patiently waiting your thoughts. Lol. 

I'm taking my time with it before I come to any sort of conclusion and will likely do a review thread when I have.

My time with it has been complicated/compromised by the circumstances in Japan as the whole permanent facemask thing is, whilst absolutely necessary, a real pain in the arse when it comes to operating a camera. Particularly one with no EVF as I'm having to hold it at arms length which means I have to put my glasses on which means they are prone to steaming up in the damp weather we had with the breath from the mask etc etc.

So now I'm back home I'll be able to look at it in more depth.

The initial impression is that the quality is certainly there and that my original view of it when it was first announced as it being the spiritual full frame successor to the original BMPCC has been borne out.

But of course, that succession also comes with the same sort of quirks and caveats so its not all golden !

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This is not exactly a great content example at all and is far from being a deliberate A/B test (it happened because I accidentally had it in Movie mode when I was meant to to take a still :) ) and it has different framing and in motion etc but hopefully offers some sort of illustration.

It seems like a pretty good match to me, especially considering the different codecs. The colors look good. Obviously, I'm only interested in raw video but it's good to see the compressed codec is robust.

I'm taking my time with it before I come to any sort of conclusion and will likely do a review thread when I have.

I look forward to it. Please test the internal 8 bit cdng. I'm interested in this mode for B&W and of course I wouldn't be mad at you if you tested the internal 12 bit 1080 cdng in 24p and 60p... conformed to 24p.

And finally, if you don't mind, a test how the image reacts to different vintage and quality of lenses could be useful as well.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

I look forward to it. Please test the internal 8 bit cdng. I'm interested in this mode for B&W and of course I wouldn't be mad at you if you tested the internal 12 bit 1080 cdng in 24p and 60p... conformed to 24p.

And finally, if you don't mind, a test how the image reacts to different vintage and quality of lenses could be useful as well.

I'll try my best to make it as comprehensive as I can.

With regard to 8bit CDNG in B&W with a vintage lens, this is one with an elderly Leica Elmarit R 28mm f2.8 which, again, was the result of an accidental pressing the shutter while still in Cine mode moment !

This is from my upcoming short  "When Jet Lagged Wives Attack"

8bitcdng.thumb.jpg.4763663451944ca51793d2382af776dc.jpg

I'll try my best to make it as comprehensive as I can

Thanks 

This is from my upcoming short  "When Jet Lagged Wives Attack"

Haha... so you either married a younger woman, or you're not as old as you let on. 

With regard to 8bit CDNG in B&W with a vintage lens, this is one with an elderly Leica Elmarit R 28mm f2.8 which, again, was the result of an accidental pressing the shutter while still in Cine mode moment !

How do you find the 8 bit mode?

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, mercer said:

Haha... so you either married a younger woman, or you're not as old as you let on. 

The former, unfortunately !

21 minutes ago, mercer said:

How do you find the 8 bit mode?

I usually find it by accident by leaving it in Cine mode!

I haven't done a full on comparison but after messing about with the files then if it was the only option available then I wouldn't be crying into my beer about it completely.

The thing is though, with the tiny SSD drives for it (I got one in Japan that makes the Samsung T5 look like a brick in comparison) I think even for stills the SD card might become a bit defunct for me so I'm not sure how often I'd use 8 bit mode.

The difference in file size is about 2mb per frame between 8 and 10 bit and from what I understand of other's tests the difference is there between 8 and 10 bit but less so between 10 and 12 bit so 10 bit would be the sweet spot.

Its about 3gig per minute more storage but you're already in to fairly hefty storage requirements anyway so it may be a false economy to stick to 8 bit.

The elephant in the room whichever flavour of CineDNG you choose of course is the editing workflow and thats something that I've got to tackle.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The former, unfortunately

Unfortunately... a lot of men would remove that prefix.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't done a full on comparison but after messing about with the files then if it was the only option available then I wouldn't be crying into my beer about it completely.

The thing is though, with the tiny SSD drives for it (I got one in Japan that makes the Samsung T5 look like a brick in comparison) I think even for stills the SD card might become a bit defunct for me so I'm not sure how often I'd use 8 bit mode.

The difference in file size is about 2mb per frame between 8 and 10 bit and from what I understand of other's tests the difference is there between 8 and 10 bit but less so between 10 and 12 bit so 10 bit would be the sweet spot.

Its about 3gig per minute more storage but you're already in to fairly hefty storage requirements anyway so it may be a false economy to stick to 8 bit.

The elephant in the room whichever flavour of CineDNG you choose of course is the editing workflow and thats something that I've got to tackle.

Although that small drive sounds pretty cool, raw storage doesn't scare me... I just don't want to deal with the cable and external anything if I don't have to.