Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Sure on your camera using ML. But what if you are shooting Slog2 on a OG A7s. The min ISO is 3200 ISO. Sure don't need a f1.2 lens for that scenario. You might have to use f8 or higher if you forgot your variable ND filter lol. Yeah if you want the sharpest you can get you want to stop down a bit from wide open. All these Logs in camera in general use a pretty high ISO.

That’s true, but most films are being shot on cameras that rarely go over 1600 ISO. Plus there are characteristics in a 1.2 lens, shot wide open, that just cannot be replicated. But as a whole I agree with your point. Even during magic hour, with my Canon FD 50mm, I was able to shoot at 1.4/2 at ISO 100/200... but I’ve pretty much stopped exposing to the right... so YMMV.

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Fucking hell.

Alright Kreskin, there won't be a mystery additional guest 50mm then ;)

I’m just jealous I don’t have a camera I can use a 7artisans with. I wish they made EF lenses.

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’m just jealous I don’t have a camera I can use a 7artisans with. I wish they made EF lenses.

Did you have a ML hacked EOS-M ?

They do them in that mount and they are really cheap.

I got the 25mm f1.8 for it.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Did you have a ML hacked EOS-M ?

They do them in that mount and they are really cheap.

I got the 25mm f1.8 for it.

Well... I have an eos-m... had it for years but a couple months ago I charged the battery and it wouldn’t power on... I’m hoping it just needs a new battery because I’d love to try out the 35mm 1.2 7artisans with ML Raw.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well... I have an eos-m... had it for years but a couple months ago I charged the battery and it wouldn’t power on... I’m hoping it just needs a new battery because I’d love to try out the 35mm 1.2 7artisans with ML Raw.

Worth a shot at buying a battery to have a go.

My battery is charged so I've just took a quick couple of frames with the 25mm f1.8 for reference for you in case you decide to lash out the additional £79 for that one too :)

354266753_7artisans35mmf1.8.thumb.jpg.08248a59325e5f6c1ef713f7a8d2fbf8.jpg

Hehe, I will be able to use some E-Mount lenses with my new beast. Just letting you know, Glenn @mercer That S35 RAW beast will hopefully start to catch dust when I´m still shooting MFT for fun. :)

Shot a good deal of Fuji glass again. Lovely C-Mount magic. Hopefully gonna get to buy some Tevidon to C-Mount adapters any time soon. Got that 10mm and 18mm laying aroung for two years now.

@mercer I think I've posted these before, but here are some 50mm lens comparisons I've found previously:

Lots of cool info there and lots of lenses compared..  You're lucky with the 50mm focal length as lots of people are interested in these :) 

• Super Members
19 hours ago, mercer said:

Oh I want the test, in fact, after seeing your subjects, I am even more intrigued...

Right, here we go.

There are in fact five lenses, as I've included a non 7Artisans mystery guest.

Its not much of a guessing game really as to which one is which as each one has a different maximum aperture or different focal length in the case of one of them but I've labelled them A-E nonetheless if anyone wants to play.

There are four sets of tests 

• Respective maximum aperture
  • f2.8 
  • f8
  • Maximum aperture close focus

Focus in each of the first three sets is obviously on the SpyderCal and ColorChecker with the bottle of "Statesman" on the same line to show edge performance.

All images are jpegs straight out the Leica SL with no further adjustments.

MAXIMUM APERTURE

128238272_50mmTest-MaximumAperture.thumb.jpg.e59b18eb572aed434108178348e81ffb.jpg

f2.8

1915506964_50mmTest-f2.8.thumb.jpg.306fc888011aa358f35e595c45eec54f.jpg

f8

2040346997_50mmTest-f8.thumb.jpg.30925cf26d13acd0e3982e1c96eaf8a2.jpg

MAXIMUM APERTURE CLOSE FOCUS

1894042655_50mmTest-CloseFocus.thumb.jpg.3f45d94a502c26c96cf577572e9581e9.jpgO

ZIPS of less compressed versions of these attached as well

50mm-2.zip

50mm-1.zip

@BTM_Pix great little test thanks. Actually, it’s amazing how different lenses, become less than different in a controlled test... granted I am looking at these on my phone but even still, I would have suspected a greater difference between all of the lenses.

With that being said, E was the clear winner for me in every category except close focus where C was my favorite. But E came in second and A was the solid third best imo in every category.

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix great little test thanks. Actually, it’s amazing how different lenses, become less than different in a controlled test... granted I am looking at these on my phone but even still, I would have suspected a greater difference between all of the lenses.

It is my mission in life with these test to make all lenses look identically bad !

28 minutes ago, mercer said:

With that being said, E was the clear winner for me in every category except close focus where C was my favorite. But E came in second and A was the solid third best imo in every category.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

D is the best of the bunch.

So, thats one for E and one for D then.

There's probably only us three remotely interested in this test, shall I just list them now ?

:)

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix since this may be the least visited sub-forum on the site, it’s very likely we may have all the votes in, especially on a Saturday.

mercer, did you mean unlikely?

?

And hey, it's not a sub-forum per se. This thread is the first thread you see in a general discussion section.

Sure, it can't compete with BMPCC4K topic, but I still think it's pretty popular.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix since this may be the least visited sub-forum on the site, it’s very likely we may have all the votes in, especially on a Saturday.

Yeah, I agree.

Lenses and approximate average eBay prices  :

A - Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (£100)

B - Contax Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.7 (£130)

C - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (£30)

D - Leica Summicron R 50mm f2 (£350)

E - Helios 44M 58mm f2 (£50)

One obvious candidate for the "Punching Above Its Weight" victory there.

41 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, I agree.

Lenses and approximate average eBay prices  :

A - Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (£100)

B - Contax Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.7 (£130)

C - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (£30)

D - Leica Summicron R 50mm f2 (£350)

E - Helios 44M 58mm f2 (£50)

One obvious candidate for the "Punching Above Its Weight" victory there.

Hmm... I’m unsure what to think... other than I may be overthinking lenses.

Now I really need to look at this test on a larger screen but I am really glad I never sold my Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8.

I have a couple Canon L primes and I really thought that they had better color separation and tonality but maybe I was a victim of good marketing. 

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

And hey, it's not a sub-forum per se. This thread is the first thread you see in a general discussion section.

Sure, it can't compete with BMPCC4K topic, but I still think it's pretty popular.

That’s true, I guess it’s a sticky.

40 minutes ago, heart0less said:

The funny thing is Helios is also one of the most beloved lenses chosen to shoot anamorphic.

It's perfectly imperfect and organic.

I have owned and tested a lot of vintage lenses over the years but the Helios is the one lens that has eluded me. They’re not as common here in the States and I tend to only buy lenses from the US. However, I am kicking myself because I intended on buying an exported Cosmogon version that was in mint condition for less than 40 bucks and somebody else beat me to it. 

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hmm... I’m unsure what to think... other than I may be overthinking lenses.

Now I really need to look at this test on a larger screen but I am really glad I never sold my Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8.

I have a couple Canon L primes and I really thought that they had better color separation and tonality but maybe I was a victim of good marketing. 

For me, the only one that I probably wouldn't use on full frame would be the Helios as the edges are a bit too funky for me even at f8.

For that reason, the Leica would be my absolute pick even though its a lot more money (though I paid just on £200 for mine) than the rest but its better across the whole frame.

The Contax Zeiss probably offers the most though as the compromise pick as its very consistent and that little bit faster as well.

Like previous tests though, its all very close again and it could well come down to how easily/cheaply you can build out a set.

From that point of view, its probably Nikon.

Although we should probably just accept the trend of the last tests and just buy a complete set of Samyangs and forget about it !