Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

If you are shy buy a 800mm lens and stand Way back lol. I don't think I could ever be a real up in your face street photographer.

I'm not so naturally bold, but have pushed myself and gotten some interesting images.

I even did some using a GoPro in one of the burst burst modes (10 photos over 2 seconds IIRC) and getting super close, which is easier because the camera is so small.

A few GoPro street photography pics....

G0949815.thumb.jpg.9935bce13a1401a43dfaeb4b89beae81.jpg

G0046676.thumb.jpg.5c78eb1f84eefd0929d48041f558b264.jpg

P1110398.thumb.jpg.cdc4e6bf029f43473fb6aaf358d563be.jpg

and this one was taken at about two to three feet from this guys face, but looks much further than that because of the wide angle:

G1239963.thumb.jpg.a0aabaae02305adc33be947f770c3844.jpg

Any camera can work if you put interesting things in front of it and put in the time...

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a load of shit this video is.

I kept thinking "He'll start showing some images from these ten different lenses in a minute..."

It is a 19 minutes and 46 second video about lenses and there is roughly one minute of actual images shot with them.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Seems like a perfectly fine video to me. About as fair as you can get with what he had.

What he had was ten lenses he was comparing and yet 95% of of we saw on the screen was shot with the eleventh one ;)

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a load of shit this video is.

That's how it is these days.

One could shot a video like this, include much more sample footage, give a succint summary and end it on 6 minutes mark.

But if you want to get paid by YouTube, then you blah, blah, blah, blah, without further ado, blah, blah, blah, okay - is it 10 minutes already? - blah, blah, blah, blah, cinematic b-roll, blah, blah, blah, blah, buy my LUTs / presets, blah, blah, blah, remember to subscribe and like this video.

The funny thing is, I was searching that same exact topic when you posted that video.

So, what is the best vintage 50mm lens? I am kinda obsessed with the focal length on FF, and there are so many great 50mm lenses out there. So far, my two favorites are the Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L and the Nikkor 50mm f/2... two diametrically opposed lenses. I also really enjoy the Rollei Zeiss 50mm 1.8 and although not a vintage lens, the Zeiss “Classic” 50mm 1.4 ZF is an interesting lens with a buttload of character wide open with great micro contrast stopped down a little.

What does everybody else like?

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, mercer said:

The funny thing is, I was searching that same exact topic when you posted that video.

So, what is the best vintage 50mm lens? I am kinda obsessed with the focal length on FF, and there are so many great 50mm lenses out there. So far, my two favorites are the Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L and the Nikkor 50mm f/2... two diametrically opposed lenses. I also really enjoy the Rollei Zeiss 50mm 1.8 and although not a vintage lens, the Zeiss “Classic” 50mm 1.4 ZF is an interesting lens with a buttload of character wide open with great micro contrast stopped down a little.

What does everybody else like?

This sounds like a job for the granite worktop and colourful bottles of booze to me.

I have a "couple" of 50mm lenses.

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

This sounds like a job for the granite worktop and colourful bottles of booze to me.

I have a "couple" of 50mm lenses.

It does sound like a job for that. Although I am fairly sure that you will post some amazing sample from some cheap, boring sounding lens and throw everybody off guard... or you’ll post samples from an amazing 50mm lens that won’t adapt to EF.

I am just entering the selling phase of my recent lens tests and I’m still a little undecided on 50mm lenses. I almost feel like I need one more nifty fifty to round out my lens “sets.”

All these lenses are old and outdated for the most part. They have probably been dropped 50 times. You can't say one lens is better than another unless you have a damn near perfect copy. And what you like and I like is totally different. So why even bother with tests on old lenses.

I am not a big fan of super shallow DoF anyways. And if I want to do that I prefer a Telephoto lens to do it over a 50mm. That look has been done a million times. I wouldn't give many dollars for an f1.2 lens in this day and age. I doubt the average person watching a movie or short is saying, Oh God look at the Bokeh.

Everyone acts like you can Only shoot at ISO 64, or 100 yet. The native video ISO in most camera is way up at ISO 640 or more. I really doubt anyone on here is doing Glamour shots. Olan Millls went out of business a Long time ago for a reason.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

It does sound like a job for that. Although I am fairly sure that you will post some amazing sample from some cheap, boring sounding lens and throw everybody off guard... or you’ll post samples from an amazing 50mm lens that won’t adapt to EF.

I am just entering the selling phase of my recent lens tests and I’m still a little undecided on 50mm lenses. I almost feel like I need one more nifty fifty to round out my lens “sets.”

Right, I've done this setup picture now so we will be having this test whether you want it or not ;) 

One of these lenses should absolutely cane the other three but we shall see.

1734835030_50mmTest001.thumb.jpg.b182a48716da822c0995236eb70a2203.jpg

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Right, I've done this setup picture now so we will be having this test whether you want it or not ;) 

One of these lenses should absolutely cane the other three but we shall see.

1734835030_50mmTest001.thumb.jpg.b182a48716da822c0995236eb70a2203.jpg

Oh I want the test, in fact, after seeing your subjects, I am even more intrigued...

I have that Jena Tessar and I was going to bring out with me on my next shooting day. I used to love that lens but haven’t been able to find a sample that didn’t have a busted aperture.

My predictions are...

• the Nikkor should mop the floor based on pure lens IQ...

but...

• the Helios will have that je ne sais quoi.

• the Zeiss Planar will be perfectly... adequate

and...

• the Tessar “eagle eye” will be the surprise sleeper of the bunch.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

am not a big fan of super shallow DoF anyways. And if I want to do that I prefer a Telephoto lens to do it over a 50mm. That look has been done a million times. I wouldn't give many dollars for an f1.2 lens in this day and age. I doubt the average person watching a movie or short is saying, Oh God look at the Bokeh.

The net positive of f/1.2 lenses is stopping them down to f/2 to get a near perfect lens. Plus, it’s my understanding that a lot of films are being shot with available and/or minimal lighting, a 1.2 lens can be an invaluable tool in such circumstances.

Sure on your camera using ML. But what if you are shooting Slog2 on a OG A7s the min ISO is 3200 ISO. Sure don't need a f1.2 lens for that scenario. You might have to use f8 or higher if you forgot your variable ND filter lol. Yeah if you want the sharpest you can get you want to stop down a bit from wide open. All these Logs in camera in general use a pretty high ISO. Photo and Video even on the same cameras now is a whole different Kettle of Fish like they say lens wise.