Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Picked up a cheap used copy of the already cheap Fujinon XC 15-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS PZ.

I have the companion one to this lens the 50-230mm which I think is a great value so I was hopeful for this one too.

It didn't let me down particularly but it being a power zoom is a bit of an acquired taste and its an underwhelming f5.6 at the (shortish)long end but its small, light, has OIS and covers a great range for reportage.

Both lenses as a kit work well with something like the X-T20 here as a compact, lightweight stabilised travel kit (particularly if you add in a faster prime to compliment them) that are cheap enough used that you won't cry yourself to sleep over some mishap befalling them on your travels.

Top two rows are the 15-45mm and the bottom row is the 50-230mm.

1731748632_Fujicombined2.thumb.jpg.bb56eecaed3e7a16703227dde48cbd3a.jpg

Now are those photos or frame grabs? They are certainly sharp enough for the price of the lens. Really nice.

15 hours ago, mercer said:

I think I really just miss my Canon 24-70mm f/4...

3721F521-2AC2-40F3-9271-62A5D71B756E.jpeg

42E76B36-5729-46C0-92EF-16008BBDC2F0.jpeg

Nice stills.  I've heard people have a lot of love for that lens, and it sure would be a convenient one to carry around for simple shoots.  

You better hurry up and finish that film, or pretty soon we'll have all watched it frame by frame in this thread! ???

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have just the opposite problem lol. ?

You need to hang with the camera people that exclusively take only photos of brick walls to prove other people wrong on the internet....  there's absolutely no artistic elements creeping in and ruining their images!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

But since I sent out the Canon FD 50mm L to be modified, I found a dirt cheap Samyang 50mm 1.4. And as much as I like the Canon FD, I'm unsure if I like it 3x more than the Samyang...

Oh, I don't know.  It's not a night and day difference, but it is a blue-hour and midday difference!  ???

Seriously though, judging from those frames the FD seems to be a little less sharp giving it a more organic aesthetic, although a small motion blur might be causing this impression.  A small blur might do the trick in post if that's the look you're going for though.

Both are nice looking images, just slightly different.  The 3x price difference is difficult to get past, but there's more to a lens than just the image.  If it feels nicer to use it impacts the creative process, if it's faster, more flexible, has different colours, etc.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

Oh, I don't know.  It's not a night and day difference, but it is a blue-hour and midday difference!  ???

Seriously though, judging from those frames the FD seems to be a little less sharp giving it a more organic aesthetic, although a small motion blur might be causing this impression.  A small blur might do the trick in post if that's the look you're going for though.

Both are nice looking images, just slightly different.  The 3x price difference is difficult to get past, but there's more to a lens than just the image.  If it feels nicer to use it impacts the creative process, if it's faster, more flexible, has different colours, etc.

That’s pretty much my assessment too. The FD is a better built lens with better color separation, naturally, but the Samyang seems sharper, naturally, with possibly an easier path for me to get a more neutral modern look. 

Another plus of the Samyang, which seems overlooked in lens tests, is that it has some focus leeway between 15-30 feet... making it much easier to track your subject.

Also, for the price of the Canon, I can have the Samyang 50mm 1.4 and 24mm 1.4... that has to play into my decision a little. Or a lot. 

Btw, here’s another shot from the Samyang that was taken at the same time of day, with a more similar grade...

FBBA6401-1BF9-49A8-B42C-977A4398D2FD.jpeg

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've been staring at this and wondering if they are birds.

Do I need to clean my glasses or do you need to clean your sensor?

Your glasses, I’m afraid. This beach is where horseshoe crabs lay their eggs once a year, so there are hundreds, if not thousands of birds there. Speaking of, here’s a repost from the Canon 24-70mm f/4 from an early shot from my film that takes advantage of this time of year.2E2D507E-7325-49CD-941C-E603519C78C5.thumb.jpeg.3597f11e67e5836d4f218e0d273ec809.jpeg

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Your glasses, I’m afraid. This beach is where horseshoe crabs lay their eggs once a year, so there are hundreds, if not thousands of birds there. Speaking of, here’s a repost from the Canon 24-70mm f/4 from an early shot from my film that takes advantage of this time of year.2E2D507E-7325-49CD-941C-E603519C78C5.thumb.jpeg.3597f11e67e5836d4f218e0d273ec809.jpeg

Yeah your sensor looks absolutely filthy on this one :)

Really nice shot.

I was fine with the ones over water in the other shot being birds but it was the one in the cloud at about 1 o'clock to your actor's head that had me convinced it was dirt!

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah your sensor looks absolutely filthy on this one :)

Really nice shot.

I was fine with the ones over water in the other shot being birds but it was the one in the cloud at about 1 o'clock to your actor's head that had me convinced it was dirt!

Hmm... are you talking right above his head, or further out to the right? I believe it’s just a darker portion of the cloud but now I’ll have to check to make sure. Thanks (he said sarcastically)