Lenses

Andrew Reid

37 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, I haven't.

It might have been this one that you are thinking of which is the definitely not lacking in zoom range Canon 35-350mm L 

781970151_Canon35-350L.thumb.jpg.425b4b357006259f73428db912b1bd43.jpg

Yup, that’s the one... I assume that lens is huge and costs a small fortune?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, kye said:

DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

I mean, err, you know, if you want to ???

Cool about the 1.2L.  I look forward to your tests :)

Haha, that was more of push for BTM to go out and try an FD 135mm to feed his addiction.

After this purchase, I really need to sit down and figure out which lenses I need and which I want. Hopefully, the two will intersect a few times and I’ll have two or three small lens sets and a couple randos that I’ll keep for some of your 1 minute short film challenges.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yup, that’s the one... I assume that lens is huge and costs a small fortune?

It travels compact but expands rapidly!

lens.jpg.311a97dce5c986cb259eae814336a0cd.jpg

Its f3.5-5.6 so it benefits from being on a speedbooster but its perfectly serviceable without. No IS but I wouldn't be shooting handheld with it anyway.

After a bit of haggling I got it for £350 if I remember rightly.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I keep my GH5 + lenses in a drawer and it's pretty tightly packed in there, and I keep pulling out the 135mm or 200mm, using them, then wondering why they won't fit back in the drawer.  Then I have that "ah ha" moment where I set them back to infinity focus and put them back, then I have that "oh dear" moment when I realise I do that every time and still don't remember.. ???

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its f3.5-5.6 so it benefits from being on a speedbooster but its perfectly serviceable without. No IS but I wouldn't be shooting handheld with it anyway.

I assume you have to use the tripod collar with a speedbooster set up? I wonder how ibis would work if you hold a lens and not the camera... lol. 

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Inevitably, the answer to both of those questions will be "all of them and then a few more just to be on the safe side"

Haha, probably... but I really don’t need two Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4 lenses and after comparing them against the FD 1.4 and Zeiss Rollei 1.8... I don’t think I need one.

I’d love to keep all of them but I really need to whittle down the 20 lenses to 10. As I said, I haven’t even tested the Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2 for fear of falling in love and leaving my GF for it. And since I already love my Canon 28mm, I should just let the Zeiss go and collect my profit. 

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

I assume you have to use the tripod collar with a speedbooster set up? I wonder how ibis would work if you hold a lens and not the camera... lol. 

Its pretty much obligatory as trying to zoom with it and support it at the same time is a bit of a chore balance wise.

Not to mention the danger of nipped skin.

I'll try it with my GX80 tomorrow and let you know how the IBIS thing goes as it will be a 70-700mm lens on that!

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Inevitably, the answer to both of those questions will be "all of them and then a few more just to be on the safe side"

The more lenses you have the safer you are from just putting one on the camera and leaving the house to go shoot something! :)

Hi. Any help would be so appreciated. 

I shoot primarily video. My primary camera is the SONY FS5 ii. My secondary camera is the Canon 5 D Mark iii. I have had three shoots now where my footage is soft on the Canon using the 24-70 L II 2.8 USM. I have tried every conceivable thing but it does not get any better. Focal length each time is 24 mm. Has anyone else experienced this? I seem to have no issues with this lens on my Sony at various focal lengths. DSLR rookie move - my first and second shoot on this project... I accidentally had the flat picture profile selected. I changed that this time back to standard but still the same issue of the whole shot being soft....

Thanks in advance. Lindsey

@LindseyL, provide us with some sample stills / video files, so that we can judge it ourselves, if it's possible.

The easiest explanation is that Sony FS5 is a S35 camera and therefore uses only the center crop of the lens image circle, whereas Canon sees the extreme corners, which are usually lagging behind, especially wide open.

Cheers.

16 hours ago, LindseyL said:

I shoot primarily video. My primary camera is the SONY FS5 ii. My secondary camera is the Canon 5 D Mark iii. I have had three shoots now where my footage is soft on the Canon using the 24-70 L II 2.8 USM. I have tried every conceivable thing but it does not get any better. Focal length each time is 24 mm. Has anyone else experienced this? I seem to have no issues with this lens on my Sony at various focal lengths. DSLR rookie move - my first and second shoot on this project... I accidentally had the flat picture profile selected. I changed that this time back to standard but still the same issue of the whole shot being soft....

5d wideangle shots are going to look soft, always. If the stills are soft too then you might have a problem.

• Super Members
On 3/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I'm expecting the Sigma MC21 EF to L adapter to be released next month so I'll be doing more EF comparisons as I've got a hotchpotch of different ones that I'll now be able to use on my SL.

@mercer

Well Sigma have well and truly put a big pin in that balloon by backtracking today on the MC21 being able to be used on existing Leica cameras.

Sneaky.

The 135s I still have:
 - Vivitar 135/2.8 close focusing, I remember I liked the colors from this one.
 - An old Spiratone 135/1.8, I remember this one has extreme thin depth of field, the bokeh is nice and smooth.
I will have dig these out again...

I did have an old Minolta Rokkor 135mm, I seemed to have enjoyed that lens, for a while, sadly, so did someone else, as it was stolen  *8^(

20 hours ago, LindseyL said:

+1 for the advice from @Nikkor to shoot test stills to check if it's the lens or the camera.  

If it's the camera it might be a setting changed, like the Sharpening or other adjustment?

On 3/27/2019 at 8:31 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I was looking at the 70-200mm f/4 earlier today but I’m afraid the white lens will draw too much attention to me while I try to steal scenes in public places. Do people stare at you when you shoot with this lens?

On another note, I actually used my aperture ring for the first time today... haha... I’ve always been a wide open and fader nd kind of shooter. Am pretty surprised how shallow f/5.6 is on FF and how much easier it is to focus. 

#lazyshooter

anyone notice a jump in ebay prices over the last week or so. i swear items i'm watching have jumped upwards of $20-30 . might just be the aussie $ doing a swan dive of the harbour bridge however. Been watching some pentax  17mm and 20mm and the same in canon fd mount they seem to be going  ballistic in pricing, may as well just buy new.

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was looking at the 70-200mm f/4 earlier today but I’m afraid the white lens will draw too much attention to me while I try to steal scenes in public places. Do people stare at you when you shoot with this lens?

On another note, I actually used my aperture ring for the first time today... haha... I’ve always been a wide open and fader nd kind of shooter. Am pretty surprised how shallow f/5.6 is on FF and how much easier it is to focus. 

#lazyshooter

i think most people would assume your shooting stills and try to go around you. most people will look to see if if your about to take a photo. some idiots (like me) will wander about aimlessly hoping for 5 seconds of fame ?

• Super Members
7 hours ago, mercer said:

I only really use it for work so that means it is in public places where long white lenses are so commonplace that it attracts zero attention ;)

I just got the follow focus for the WeeBill lab, and it works great with my manual lenses, but I can't get it to work properly with the focus-by-wire on my Panasonic lenses (12-60 2.8-4.0 and 25mm 1.7)

Any recommendations for a wideish linear focus M43 lens (for GH5)? I'm thinking of a 12 or 17mm as I already have lots of adapted tele lenses.

The Olympus 17mm f/1.2 is tempting, but something cheaper and lighter would be even better. I've previously tried the Leica 12mm 1.4 which seemed to have better manual focus than my lenses and might have improved autofocus over the Olympus, but the manual focus clutch on the Olympus is a safer option.