Lenses

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

old c-mounts and ibis are indeed a thing of beauty!  I shot a video today with a friend, all GX85, awesome Fujinon 12.5mm with a bit of fungus. That lens is the only reason i still have that camera. So this is from today, with grade and edit right after it. I should do that every week. 1hour shootin, no planning ahead. fun thing: shot in vivid, full contrast and sharpness +2, color at +4, though at the lit parts at -5.  Finally my first "real" video with the GX85, after almost two years owning it! :)

Nice!  I don't get it, but it's a cool aesthetic :)

Made me think about that idea of having a virtual film club with some loose rules to encourage working fast to get something out and not getting too attached to making the end result perfect.  I like the idea of having time limits on the stages of production and doing it all in one go.  Something that could be done in an afternoon :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Here’s a couple frame grabs from a recent 50mm comparison test I did. 

Definitely not a fair comparison, but they certainly both look really nice!  The bokeh in the close-up shot is very nice..  and seems to be the anamorphic shape?

I think you're slowly convincing yourself to go B&W! ???

11 minutes ago, kye said:

Definitely not a fair comparison, but they certainly both look really nice!  The bokeh in the close-up shot is very nice..  and seems to be the anamorphic shape?

I think you're slowly convincing yourself to go B&W! ???

It’s weird, the Zeiss ZF has more wow and it’s almost always there. With the Zeiss Rollei you have to find it, but when you do, it slaps you in the face.

Good catch, I hadn’t noticed the shape of the bokeh balls... I’m pretty sure it’s coma but you raise an interesting point... sometimes the flaws in lenses add some character to your image... I’m sure a lot of people would disagree with that, though.

Not a hundred percent sold on B&W for my film yet, but for the lens tests I enjoy doing... it’s nice not to eff around with color grading... at least until I get a better monitor. 

Hey everyone - infrequent poster here looking for some lens advice, please!

I own an X-T2 and I'm looking for a macro lens for 4K shooting. I was all set to by the Fujifilm 60mm f2.4 macro, but then I learnt it's closest focus distance only allows for 0.5x magnification, which doesn't seem idea considering I'm looking for something for dedicated macro use. Fujifilm do an 80mm OIS macro, but isn't really priced for mortals, so I'm looking at other options and considering adapting, be it a vintage or modern macro lens. I would rather keep things to a sane budget (up to around £300 ish) and would rather something relatively compact to match the smaller body size of the x-t2, but it's no deal-breaker. Would appreciate any opinions, thanks!

19 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

I own an X-T2 and I'm looking for a macro lens for 4K shooting. I was all set to by the Fujifilm 60mm f2.4 macro, but then I learnt it's closest focus distance only allows for 0.5x magnification, which doesn't seem idea considering I'm looking for something for dedicated macro use. Fujifilm do an 80mm OIS macro, but isn't really priced for mortals, so I'm looking at other options and considering adapting, be it a vintage or modern macro lens. I would rather keep things to a sane budget (up to around £300 ish) and would rather something relatively compact to match the smaller body size of the x-t2, but it's no deal-breaker. Would appreciate any opinions, thanks!

Lots of vintage Nikon glass that does the job. I had my eye on the 55mm 3.5

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

If you are looking to go 1.0x and above and want to buy a specific lens then the Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro Lens is almost doable for your budget.

Its Canon mount so you'll need an adapter as well.

This is a review of it up against the venerable Canon MP-E 65mm 

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/21/the-399-laowa-25mm-macro-lens-vs-the-1050-canon-mp-e-65mm/

The other route with Fuji is to use their own MCEX-11 or MCEX-16 extension tubes with your existing lenses which have the benefit of being electronically connected so you can retain AF and aperture control.

This chart shows you the magnification gains with each of their lenses 

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/pdf/mcex_01.pdf

The Fuji ones are about £70 but the 3rd party ones with the same electronic control are about half that price.

As you can see from the chart then if you want to get to the 1.0x area then the MCEX-16 will get you in the ballpark with both the 18mm f2 and 23mm f2 lenses.

If you've got either of those lenses then you're in business but if not, used ones from somewhere like MPB will get you there or thereabouts budget wise as a package with the adapter with the added advantage of, unlike the dedicated ultra macros like the Laowa, being very decent lenses for non-macro work.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-fuji-x-series-lenses/

• Super Members

Nothing remotely exotic or with any particular character but the diminutive Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 is a handy little (with the emphasis on little) lens to have in your bag if you shoot MFT.

The upside is the OIS so its a boon for using on cameras without IBIS like the G7 or, like here, the Pocket 4K but the downside is the lack of manual focus ring so you will have to rely on AF or onscreen focus.

Or for the Pocket 4K as I was doing here for testing you can use a remote control app....

As I say, its not going to wow anyone with its '3D pop' or 'mojo' but as a purely utilitarian wide zoom its a very solid performer and as so many of them were bundled in kits with GX80 etc they are readily available for well under £100 used.

2020002413_Pan12-32076.thumb.jpg.e4277ca78e4ce04f4c3e548d5613584b.jpg

1492426907_Pan12-32078.thumb.jpg.3a0f62b352e8af3257823e970a51a7f0.jpg

@BTM_Pix@thebrothersthre3

Thanks for those suggestions, guys. Yeah, thinking it might be my wisest bet to go for macro tubes with AF for now. I've not got any Fujifilm primes, but I've got the 10-24mm and 18-55mm zooms, both of which can get close enough to x1.0 magnification for me. I understand adding tubes will lose some light, but does it lose sharpness at all as well?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nothing remotely exotic or with any particular character but the diminutive Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 is a handy little (with the emphasis on little) lens to have in your bag if you shoot MFT.

The upside is the OIS so its a boon for using on cameras without IBIS like the G7 or, like here, the Pocket 4K but the downside is the lack of manual focus ring so you will have to rely on AF or onscreen focus.

Or for the Pocket 4K as I was doing here for testing you can use a remote control app....

As I say, its not going to wow anyone with its '3D pop' or 'mojo' but as a purely utilitarian wide zoom its a very solid performer and as so many of them were bundled in kits with GX80 etc they are readily available for well under £100 used.

2020002413_Pan12-32076.thumb.jpg.e4277ca78e4ce04f4c3e548d5613584b.jpg

1492426907_Pan12-32078.thumb.jpg.3a0f62b352e8af3257823e970a51a7f0.jpg

i thought you were supposed to be working,  instead we find you down at the yacht club sippin on lattes ?

i'm going into town later so i will probably get your app once i get some reception for the phone looks like you can afford that bigger boat after all ?

• Super Members
8 hours ago, leslie said:

i thought you were supposed to be working,  instead we find you down at the yacht club sippin on lattes ?

i'm going into town later so i will probably get your app once i get some reception for the phone looks like you can afford that bigger boat after all ?

Please buy two of them as I need to pay the mooring fees today.

Just now, BTM_Pix said:

Please buy two of them as I need to pay the mooring fees today.

er.... too late been to town got one copy only of your app and spent the rest on the fantastic beasts, crimes of the grimswald dvd so its movie night tonight feel free to bring your own popcorn ?

injured my back about a week ago so i'm dosed up on painkillers which might explain why my posts are even less coherent than usual.

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, mercer said:

From the same nifty fifty lens test, here are a couple from a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 that was modified to Nikon F and then adapted to EF... lol...

Who won in the end or did you just do what I always end up doing and keeping them all?

30 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Who won in the end or did you just do what I always end up doing and keeping them all?

No winner yet, that was just the first round.

I’m going to keep the FD because it was so cheap and it blends in nicely with my 28mm and 85mm EF lenses. It actually fits the gap so nicely, I’m starting to question keeping the 35mm f/2.

50mm lenses have always been a staple for me. In a lot of ways, they’re the only focal length that I feel comfortable having just the one lens without having a set to go with it.

So I guess the question will be which Zeiss I like better. And if the ZF wins, is it worth ditching the small set of Rollei Zeiss for an even smaller set of Zeiss Classics... as I only have the 50mm Planar and the 28mm f/2 Distagon... of course... with that lens, what more do you need? I haven’t even tested the 28mm yet. It was a spur of the moment purchase that I got for a great price, so I am afraid if I test it out, I might just like it too much. 

With that being said, since I really like the Rollei Zeiss 25mm, I’ll probably keep that set and sell the Zeiss Classics.

I don’t know... I feel like I need one more fast 50 to help me make an overall choice... any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The 7Artisans 50mm f1.1

Glowfest wide open and crisps up nicely at more sensible apertures.

Holy shamoley, that’s a bobby-dazzler. Christ that looks nice... but I assume there isn’t an EF version?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Holy shamoley, that’s a bobby-dazzler. Christ that looks nice... but I assume there isn’t an EF version?

No, you'd have to buy a real camera ;)

Sorry, forgot the EF requirement.

Works with the EOS-R  if you went that route though I guess that's doubtful with your RAW requirement.

If you want this lens and RAW then with the TechART you can have it on the Nikon Z6 with the added bonus of it then becoming AF, which with an f1.1 lens is actually quite a boon !

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, you'd have to buy a real camera ;)

Sorry, forgot the EF requirement.

Works with the EOS-R  if you went that route though I guess that's doubtful with your RAW requirement.

If you want this lens and RAW then with the TechART you can have it on the Nikon Z6 with the added bonus of it then becoming AF, which with an f1.1 lens is actually quite a boon !

One day when I am seriousl about photography, I hope to get a real camera. I’d love a Leica or a Sigma Quattro.

I’m keeping my eye on the Z6/Atomos development. I don’t think I’ll completely turn my back on my 5D3, but I must admit that some IBIS and Raw does sound cool. Like you, though, I’d like to see an updated Ninja Star and forego a screen.

Have you tried that 7artisans on your P4K? That 12-32mm P4K shot you posted yesterday is some of my favorite stuff from that camera.

I love the color of your Leica samples... how did you handle the middle photo... it looks wicked. 

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I love that lens. Pares so nicely with an M8. Being able to easily adjust the focus on it is also a huge bonus imo.

I really like what 7artisans are doing. If I ever get another M4/3 camera, or my first Fuji, that 35mm 1.2 is on the top of my list.