Lenses

Andrew Reid

Those look great!!

I bought it much for the same reasons as you, for a truly wide/small lens without too much distortion. At the price it's a no brainer.

I mainly bought it to serve as a wide for the pocket camera, which I've been using mainly with an old angenieux 12-120/2.2

Saying that I've really liked it on the Panasonics I have too.

Looking forward to using it more.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm on a lookout for a prime lens between 65 - 75mm, which covers full frame image, to pair with an anamorphic adapter.

Some legacy glass would be nice, since I don't want to break the bank.

Unfortunately, 85mm doesn't cut it for me, I already have Nikon E 100/2.8 and am looking for something to fill the gap between it and Helios 58/2, which vignettes just a little.

The ones I know of are: Voigtlander Macro 65/2 , Leica 70/2.5 , Voigtlander 75/1.8, Voigtlander 75/2.5 and some medium format lenses: Mamiya 645 70/2.8 , Nikkor P (for Bronica) 75/2.8, Zenzanon 75/2.8

Did I miss something? Is there something you can recommend?

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I can't recommend it yet (as I am still contemplating buying it ;) ) but just for completeness, one lens that might be interesting for you is the Handevision IBERIT 75mm f/2.4 in Leica M mount.

Nope, I'd never heard of them either.

Here is a review and some sample images from a German reviewer using it on a Leica M10. 

Google translate has mangled it a bit but you can get the gist.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.qimago.de%2Fdas-handevision-iberit-75mm-f2-4-fuer-leica-m%2F

There are also some other images from a quick LeicaRumours test and these back up the lower contrast look (certainly against the Voigtlander) that the reviewer was referring to, which is not such a bad thing in my view if you are using it for video.

https://leicarumors.com/2017/03/19/quick-hands-on-review-of-the-handevision-iberit-lenses-on-a-leica-m10-camera.aspx/

There are a couple of reviews on the Adorama site where they are currently selling it for a much lower price ($379) than €600 the reviewer was basing his review on

https://www.adorama.com/kal7524lcmb.html

As I say, I can't recommend it as I haven't used one personally but if I can find one in Europe at the price that Adorama are selling them for then I almost certainly will be.

2 hours ago, heart0less said:

I'm on a lookout for a prime lens between 65 - 75mm, which covers full frame image, to pair with an anamorphic adapter.

Unfortunately, 85mm doesn't cut it for me, I already have Nikon E 100/2.8 and am looking for something to fill the gap between it and Helios 58/2, which vignettes just a little.

The ones I know of are: Voigtlander Macro 65/2 , Leica 70/2.5 , Voigtlander 75/1.8, Voigtlander 75/2.5 and some medium format lenses: Mamiya 645 70/2.8 , Nikkor P (for Bronica) 75/2.8, Zenzanon 75/2.8

Pentax 70 2.4?       It is an APSC lens but it does cover FF quite well I believe (not used it).

In a pinch you could use a shorter lens with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter (the better legacy 50s can still be good with a good 1.4x if you can find the right combination).

Maybe the Pentax 77 1.8 limited?   (ok it is a little longer but it isn't 80 and we don't know the exact actual focal length of most lenses anyway).

29 minutes ago, noone said:

Pentax 70 2.4?       It is an APSC lens but it does cover FF quite well I believe (not used it).

In a pinch you could use a shorter lens with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter (the better legacy 50s can still be good with a good 1.4x if you can find the right combination).

This would be a perfect solution, if not for the anamorphic adapter. ?

I'm afraid it won't work as good as it should; too much glass, too many variables.

30 minutes ago, noone said:

Maybe the Pentax 77 1.8 limited?   (ok it is a little longer but it isn't 80 and we don't know the exact actual focal length of most lenses anyway).

Forgot about it! From what I've read, it's an amazing lens, though a bit pricey. Hard to get in my region, as well - not many Pentax users here.

Definitely will keep it in mind, thank you. ?

On 11/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, kye said:

I've been using the SLR Magic 8mm F4 on my GH5 and I'm really enjoying the image, but it's also designed as a drone lens and so the ergonomics aren't that great though! 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, kye said:

I haven't seen it discussed much for video (maybe it was and I missed it) but lots of people have looked at it for photos.  It was the widest non-fisheye lens that I could find for a reasonable price.   It looks hilarious on the GH5 because it's so small and thin!

My strategy has been to get a 17.5mm lens for generic people / environment shots, and the 8mm for those wider "wow" scenery shots where you want the grand look of a wide angle, and it's been great for that.  Today was my third day in India and it hasn't come off the camera yet as everything here seems to lend itself to that "wow" aesthetic - look at that building - look at how many people there are - look at this amazing chaos...  :)

Basic grade and crop....

India-1_1_29.1.thumb.jpg.f937b566efa6cb577d01b564d8868eb7.jpg

India-2_1_33.1.thumb.jpg.8fc3674595d7ec5c090a60e03a2985a5.jpg

I'm still making friends with the GH5 so these might not be sharp, but they certainly suit the geometric nature of the architecture :)

Some follow-up comments on the 8mm SLR Magic:

• The locking screw is a PITA and there doesn't seem to be any tension you can apply that gives adjustability with some friction - it's either locked or free-floating.
    I'm thinking I might have a go at grinding/polishing the end of the screw to hopefully smooth it out and allow a 'friction' adjustment, but I'm not optimistic.
  • The distance markings on the MF are useful - I worked out where to set it for 'selfie' focus and that makes it nice and repeatable (I make home videos and am trying to be in them a bit more)
  • It's pretty soft at f16.  The difference between 1m and infinity focus is only a few degrees adjustment on the MF control, so I set it to infinity focus and f16 and run with it as a fixed focus lens but reviewing footage it's pretty soft, so later I swapped to f4 which is so much sharper the Focus Assist lines just about double their strength in comparison to f16.  If you like a softer look then f16 could be a great option.  f4 is FF equivalent of f8, so in a sense you can just think of the aperture ring as a "soften" adjustment :)
  • It flares quite nicely.  The part of the flare with the shapes all in a line isn't that much at all, but the general tint across the whole image (kind of like a light-leak) is quite pleasant and in the footage from Thailand where I move the camera from away from the sun to towards it (but not having the sun in frame) a warm 'wash' appears across the image.

No flare:

244790575_SLRMagic8mmno-flare_1.6.1.thumb.jpg.05bdbda088590b56c38f0bccf6da0d72.jpg

10 frames later (identical grade):

156884154_SLRMagic8mmflare_1.6.2_1.6.2.thumb.jpg.366ccadd3b65501cbc9d0aac58732981.jpg

This has the GHAlexa LUTs applied, so the colouration of the tint has been modified - I just looked at the SOOC footage with the contrast pumped up and it's basically orange.

It kind of reminds me of the Tiffen BPM filters when the sun is out of frame but still hitting the filter.  This is with the naked lens - no filters attached at all.

I've been away for a while, just working on scripts and trying not to wast too much time on the internet. I just came back to share my newest lens find. I wanted an 8(ish)mm lens (24mm equivalent) for the bmpcc, to split the difference between my Fuji 12.5mm and Computar 6.5mm. I'd been thinking of the SLR Magic 8mm, but even though it's super cheap for what it is, I couldn't really afford it at the moment, plus reviews I'd read here noted the difficulty of the focus ring and set screw. Then I remembered a video on youtube showing off different lenses, including the Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5. I had bought what turned out to be the 2/3 format version a couple years ago when I first saw the video, which doesn't cover the sensor. The version that covers a 1" sensor has a larger front, like the Cosmicar 6.5mm lens I used to own, and it never shows up on ebay, and others had previously gone for $500 a couple years ago. But I managed to find one bundled with an "As-Is" CCTV camera.

cosmicar_8_5mm.thumb.JPG.cb4adffba5685e121c71ec528c500cbe.JPG

I was aware that this lens would need some modification, and luckily it took a very small amount of hand-filing the edges, as I've done with Cosmicar lenses in the past. This one only took about 30 minutes to complete, unlike other lenses. My copy also needs a little cleaning. I love this lens. It's pretty sharp from edge to edge, even wide open. It's distorted, but it's acceptable to me (I like a bit of distortion). Some grabs from the video:

cosmicar8.5mm_bmpcc_3.thumb.jpg.34a2f569c26d410a30f88aeca18d69b2.jpg

f/11.

cosmicar8.5mm_bmpcc_2.thumb.jpg.7f6c859f3a76a948c2d11b7fb9780986.jpgcosmicar8.5mm_bmpcc_1.thumb.jpg.bb164241d443805148ed9faf61c12a52.jpg

f/1.5

cosmicar8.5mm_bmpcc_4.thumb.jpg.b13dd537803cc82013a71f048b067c4d.jpgcosmicar8.5mm_bmpcc_5.thumb.jpg.a59d9bb5a77d8b318529a7a502150c4c.jpg

F/2

Since my Fuji 12.5mm is only good from edge to edge at around f/4 or lower, and my Computar 6.5mm is garbage above f/8, this may become by go-to wide angle lens. It should work well for glidecam shots too.

35 minutes ago, kye said:

Looks like some serious CA around the highlights.  Is there also some around the girls face?  (It looks like there is a red flare there?)

I think she is wearing Red glasses LoL. But yeah there is CA on the Window blind edges. I would not loose too much sleep about that. That probably happens because it is on a BMD camera to be honest. You want some sharpness you pay the price. ?

@Matt Kieley That looks like a really good match for the pocket camera. nice find.

@jihado86 Nice score! Those are some really great lenses. Unforunately the Nikon F mount is not a great one for adapted glass that isn't Nikon F mount.

You can use those lenses on your nikon, but you'll have to use adapters with glass optical elements built in that will reduce the quality of the lenses.

You might want to hold on to the lenses if you plan on buying another camera anytime soon, or perhaps sell them and buy some Nikon F mount glass.

2 hours ago, jihado86 said:

Hey guys,

I bought some vintage lenses.

- Pentax 50mm 1.4

- Canon FD 28mm 2.8

- Olympus OM Zuiko 35mm 2.8

What adapters should I buy for them to be used on a Nikon D5600?
I know the Canon mount is FD, Olympus is OM, but I'm not sure what mount is the Pentax lens and the Nikon D5600 camera.

Thanks in advance.

_20181129_150428.JPG

You will need a K (PK) adapter for the Pentax lens. But some Pentax lenses are M42 Screw Mount also. Wow I see they already have dumb adapters for the Z bodies. That didn't take long.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, heart0less said:

How about Sigma 70mm macro?

I'm establishing a list of appealing lenses to pair with a Nikon z6. So far, I have noted some ais and afd primes (35 f2, 35 f1.4, 85 f2...), third party primes like voigtlander, helios, samyang, and zooms like Nikkor 17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8 etc.
But, I'm now looking at telephoto lenses, and I wonder if someone ( @BTM_Pix ?) knows the Nikkor 300 f4 afs (the version before the new PF) ? I've found an example here, and is seems to be really great, even paired with the 1.4ii teleconverter. The new 100-400 telezooms from Sigma and Tamron are good, but may lack the old Nikkor's character.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I wonder if someone ( @BTM_Pix ?) knows the Nikkor 300 f4 afs (the version before the new PF) ? I've found an example here, and is seems to be really great, even paired with the 1.4ii teleconverter. 

Optically, it is at least as good as the PF.

It is also not far off being a third of the price used against a new PF.

Another plus is that it has a physical aperture control so is more flexible in terms of being used on a different camera type whereas with the PF using Nikon's new electronic control you are limited to only being able to control the aperture with a Nikon body.

So it performs as well as the new one, is much cheaper and also more versatile.

Against that, of course, is that it is twice the weight, about a third bigger and doesn't have VR.

Until the Z series came along, it would be that final aspect that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people but IBIS should address that. I'm saying should as I've never tested that so I can't comment with any authority over it but anecdotaly it does seem to work well.

Which leaves us with the size and weight issue.

My use for the original version was for events where a long lens wouldn't be the primary lens I'd be shooting on but wanted the ability to have that extra reach if I needed without having to haul a 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8 with me.

So things such as press conferences or close action positional stuff like boxing or track cycling etc.

It worked very well in that capacity and the weight and bulk saving was a godsend versus the f2.8

But then the PF version appeared and moved all of that to another level, particularly with the addition of VR, so it was an instant buy for me!

As I say, the Z series will take care of the VR part but the original lens is still quite a lump which may be a drawback or at least less desirable, for your intended use. It certainly was for mine.

If you were looking for a compromise solution then for somewhere roughly in the middle price wise you could maybe look at a used 70-200mm f2.8 with a 1.4TC. 

In terms of size, it isn't far off the same as the original 300mm f4 and it would give you near enough the same on the long end with the TC with the added versatility of being a zoom but also taking the TC off and getting the extra stop back.  

The bottom line for me is that if the PF didn't exist then I would still happily be using the original and if I was buying from scratch then provided I didn't need the lens to be stabilised I wouldn't have a particular problem getting it again at that significant saving. For my needs though, the size and weight is a significant enough advantage that it is worth stretching for but your needs may be different.

I would definitely recommend you going and trying one first with your own camera though to make sure it works as a combo for you. 

But just make sure that you aren't tempted to try the PF version out while you are there ;)