Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@TheRenaissanceMan whenever I see a picture of a F3 on this forum I start to lust for one. How has it been treating you? Shooting externally 422 or even 444? Tell me all about it. And IronFilm might also chim in:) Cannot get enough of these F3 stories.

The m43 10-25 is for some reason of eventual lack of my competence not as appealing as a 20-100 on m43 would have been to me. Andrew wrote something about these focal lengths in the Panny FF thread. Unfortunately a mixup of numbers:( That 20mm on m43 or 28 boosted are my favorite focal lengths.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/viltrox-announced-one-new-autofocus-and-two-manual-lenses-for-sony-full-frame-e-mount-cameras/

Yet another 85s for Sony E.. 

How many of them do we already have? 85FE, Batis 85, 85/1.4 GM, Sigma 85/1.4.. 

Still no single 35/1.8. 

What's more, why are the Viltroxes so heavy?

The 85/1.8 STM is almost twice as heavy as Sony FE 85.

20/1.8 looks quite nice, though, but it's still a beast. 

~780g, whereas Tokina Firin 20/2 - 470g, Samyang 20/1.8 - 490g + adapter.

5 minutes ago, heart0less said:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/viltrox-announced-one-new-autofocus-and-two-manual-lenses-for-sony-full-frame-e-mount-cameras/

Yet another 85s for Sony E.. 

How many of them do we already have? 85FE, Batis 85, 85/1.4 GM, Sigma 85/1.4.. 

Still no single 35/1.8. 

What's more, why are the Viltroxes so heavy?

The 85/1.8 STM is almost twice as heavy as Sony FE 85.

20/1.8 looks quite nice, though, but it's still a beast. 

~780g, whereas Tokina Firin 20/2 - 470g, Samyang 20/1.8 - 490g + adapter.

At $200 bucks a pop, pretty crazy cheap, no?

I would think it will be ok but then again, the FE 85 1.8 is to me the best bang for buck thing going in photography.        It will sell ok if it is good for its price point.

The 20 1.8 on the other hand is not that much more expensive but has a lot less competition and might make a fair cheap astro lens for some.

A dissenting view to Lens Rentals, in which Lloyd Chambers criticizes the increasingly common habit of companies publishing charts showing MTF results without distortion correction applied, claiming that lenses can never achieve the same results with correction enabled, that certain lenses actually require correction in software (Fuji X in Adobe Camera RAW for example) and that correction actually hurts micro contrast.

The benefits of such software correction are obvious: cost reduction and the ability to design smaller, lighter lenses. The problem as I see it is when using lenses relying on software correction on a body without such software, like the P4K.

We are seeing some manufacturers allow disabling in-camera vignetting and diffraction correction and perhaps in the distant future a fn button can disable them all. But I still see Lloyd’s rant as a bit of a tempest in  teapot, since most if not all manufacturers’ charts are nothing more than idealized computer generated models based on fairy tale conditions. Which is where Lens Rentals comes in...

Here is a Philip Reeve's look at the Viltrox lenses I mentioned earlier:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/photokina-recap-part-1-viltrox-e-mount-lenses/

Things aren't looking as good as they seemed to in the SAR post.

MF 85/1.8 is to be more expensive (300$ vs 200$), 20/1.8 will cost even more (489$). And the AF version of 85/1.8 will only come in Fuji Mount (?) at the price of 379$.

I guess Sony FE 85/1.8 is still the choice.

44 minutes ago, jonpais said:

A mockup of Fuji’s 33mm f/1 - can we say this is a massive achievement? ?

46403B21-3392-41EE-8472-2F50C87057A3.jpeg

Kind of a dumb focal length to spend all that money on. Years ago that was a pretty normal lens length. But now, hmm, it would be about the last lens I would buy for a kit. It is not wide enough, not long enough. I don't get it?