Lenses

Andrew Reid

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, the 18-35mm is almost like a freak of nature the way it stands up against primes.

The 7Artisans fits in the pocket somewhat easier in both senses of the word though !

Now that I'm not only sipping the Leica Kool Aid but feeding it in on an IV line, its my new best friend. Its worth bearing in mind as well with the (yes I'm going to mention it again) TechArt Pro adapter these small M mount lenses from 7Artisans and of course Voigtlander are given another dimension by being able to become auto focus on Sony E mount cameras.

I have the X-T2 and the X-T20. The X-H1 IBIS looked troublesome to me during the early tests I saw of it and when internal F-LOG was given as an update to the X-T2 my interest in the X-H1 cooled completely.

My take away is how much degradation there is on images when you upload them on here !

Ahh, then Only you really know LoL. Sure the 18-35mm has to be the winner just for convenience alone. Sigma was not going to put out a dog and call it Art series. Sigma is on a roll as of late with some top shelf stuff for, well middle shelf prices. ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, the 18-35mm is almost like a freak of nature the way it stands up against primes.

The 7Artisans fits in the pocket somewhat easier in both senses of the word though !

Now that I'm not only sipping the Leica Kool Aid but feeding it in on an IV line, its my new best friend. Its worth bearing in mind as well with the (yes I'm going to mention it again) TechArt Pro adapter these small M mount lenses from 7Artisans and of course Voigtlander are given another dimension by being able to become auto focus on Sony E mount cameras.

I have the X-T2 and the X-T20. The X-H1 IBIS looked troublesome to me during the early tests I saw of it and when internal F-LOG was given as an update to the X-T2 my interest in the X-H1 cooled completely.

My take away is how much degradation there is on images when you upload them on here !

Yeah this site does some weird stuff to contrast too. 

Thanks for your help! Any chance you have any of the Zeiss ZF lenses... the 35mm f/2 Distagon is supposed to have amazing micro contrast and I’m looking to shoot more B&W in the coming months so that lens is on the top of my list... I can probably go handheld with it too if I don’t drink too much coffee or smoke too many cigarettes that day... so maybe not handheld...

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah this site does some weird stuff to contrast too. 

Thanks for your help! Any chance you have any of the Zeiss ZF lenses... the 35mm f/2 Distagon is supposed to have amazing micro contrast and I’m looking to shoot more B&W in the coming months so that lens is on the top of my list... I can probably go handheld with it too if I don’t drink too much coffee or smoke too many cigarettes that day... so maybe not handheld...

Hang on, let me just check my collection of 35mms ....

big_2143_lenses_1.thumb.jpg.dd495ccb7b3f7ee7eb4a4fb3b3747824.jpg

• Super Members

OK @mercer I don't have anything as exotic as that Zeiss left.

In 35mm, the only Zeiss prime I have is a very old Flektagon 35mm f2.8.

I also have the short end of the Zeiss 35-70mm f3.4, the short end of the Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 MD and the long end of the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L as a comparison.

All of which I can persuade on to a Sony A6500 tomorrow if you want?

As a micro contrast bonus (albeit slightly wider ) I can throw in the 30mm version of the Sigma f1.4 ART on a Sigma SD Quattro. (though this may make you weep openly and cry "Why no video on Foveon, Sigma? Why, why?")

@BTM_Pix no problem, thanks for looking. How about the Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4... or any ZF variant... the 25mm? I hear they’re all fairly matched. I’d love that Sigma 30mm if I still had an aps-c sensor but unfortunately all FF for me... for now. Lol.

However, I read a review that Sigma Art lenses were no match for micro contrast compared to the Zeiss... however again... I am also kinda interested in the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 art, so the 35mm could be my one good prime to go along with it. You don’t have that Zoom do you? Or heard anything about it?

• Super Members
43 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix no problem, thanks for looking. How about the Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4... or any ZF variant... the 25mm? I hear they’re all fairly matched. I’d love that Sigma 30mm if I still had an aps-c sensor but unfortunately all FF for me... for now. Lol.

However, I read a review that Sigma Art lenses were no match for micro contrast compared to the Zeiss... however again... I am also kinda interested in the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 art, so the 35mm could be my one good prime to go along with it. You don’t have that Zoom do you? Or heard anything about it?

No ZF at all, I'm afraid.

The 85mm f1.4 I've got is the Contax Zeiss Planar T* which I legally stole from a shop in Tokyo.

No on the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 ART either as I've got the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 which has been doing the job for what I need it for for years and will no doubt end up getting carried shoulder high by the cockroaches as the only other survivor of the nuclear holocaust.

I'm not a massive fan of the 24-70mm range though I have to say when it comes to doing anything creative as you always wish it was a bit wider or a bit longer. Its a good safe bet but even on vanilla jobs like shooting press conferences I find myself taking it out less and less as I'd sooner have a wider prime or wide zoom on another camera (I use the X-T20 a lot for this) and go longer on the main camera.

31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No ZF at all, I'm afraid.

The 85mm f1.4 I've got is the Contax Zeiss Planar T* which I legally stole from a shop in Tokyo.

No on the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 ART either as I've got the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 which has been doing the job for what I need it for for years and will no doubt end up getting carried shoulder high by the cockroaches as the only other survivor of the nuclear holocaust.

I'm not a massive fan of the 24-70mm range though I have to say when it comes to doing anything creative as you always wish it was a bit wider or a bit longer. Its a good safe bet but I find myself increasingly taking it out on jobs less and less as I'd sooner have a wider prime or wide zoom on another camera (I use the X-T20 a lot for this) and go longer on the main camera.

I wasn’t either until I was forced to sell my Canon L 24-70mm f/4... now I feel lost without it. I was able to get this shot on the long end and my wide primes wouldn’t have cut it... of course I would have loved a 70-210mm for this shot...

ABB530CB-5BCB-467B-8814-99E6CBEF5058.jpeg

Honestly, I’ll probably buy that lens again and then just add to the long end. Now I just need to decide which route to go for manual primes... I change my mind every week.

I’ve also just decided I like B&W this week too. Lol. 

• Super Members
19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

OK @mercer I don't have anything as exotic as that Zeiss left.

In 35mm, the only Zeiss prime I have is a very old Flektagon 35mm f2.8.

I also have the short end of the Zeiss 35-70mm f3.4, the short end of the Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 MD and the long end of the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L as a comparison.

All of which I can persuade on to a Sony A6500 tomorrow if you want?

As a micro contrast bonus (albeit slightly wider ) I can throw in the 30mm version of the Sigma f1.4 ART on a Sigma SD Quattro. (though this may make you weep openly and cry "Why no video on Foveon, Sigma? Why, why?")

Actually, I did forget one other 35mm option I have which is the Canon 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 L that I picked up for £350 last year after a bit of haggling.

I've never used it on the Sony A6500 as I'd bought it for the LS300 but I've just put it on to take a few shots for you outside to show its range and it AFs very well with the Sigma MC-11 converter.

If you want the flexibility of 10x zoom range then look no further than this one!781970151_Canon35-350L.thumb.jpg.425b4b357006259f73428db912b1bd43.jpg

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow I Always wanted that lens. Looks like you have a really good copy of it.

Its a pity about the lack of IS and its a good grounding for learning the trombone when you want to go between the focal lengths but its plenty sharp enough and actually reasonably compact.

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its a pity about the lack of IS and its a good grounding for learning the trombone when you want to go between the focal lengths but its plenty sharp enough and actually reasonably compact.

Most of them I have seem have had the crap beat out of them, So they tells me they are a lens you sort of weld on and forget! Yeah at a Pound Sterling a mm you got a good deal.

• Super Members

I'm on a bit of an M mount acquisition exercise at the moment and picked up a used Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide Heliar III f4.5 a couple of weeks ago.

I've only used it for stills thus far but I'm going to mount it put it on my A6500 and see what happens, though there is a native E mount version as well.

First impressions are that its a good performer and its an especially decent focal length on APS-C (these are from a Leica T) if you are using it for street or run and gun stuff as you can set it to f8 and have everything in focus from 1m.  The hood isn't removable but it does have a 58mm filter thread so you can add ND. Usual nice Voitglander build quality and, of course, it is very compact, especially for a lens that will also cover full frame. 

1936810872_Voigtlander15mm.thumb.jpg.1d2fc8a679423f2e43b4f1aa9af81295.jpg

andrew reid likes the canon 35-70 fd lens so i got one as their fairly cheap, now i am wondering what the consensus is on the canon fd 24-35 f3.5  zoom is ? i found one with ssc coatings however it's not as cheap. also like to add the m42  85mm 1.9 i bought arrived the other day taken some photos but i need to play it it a bit more yet

• Super Members

More M mount stuff with the rather cosmetically battered but still optically very much not battered Leica 90mm f2 that I picked up recently.

Stills again for now but I'll definitely do some grabs of it and the other M mounts I've picked up on a the A6500 and X-T2 in a few days.

301674816_90mmComp2.thumb.jpg.a8c55d419f44414b4b26d219bae974ee.jpg