Lenses

Andrew Reid

Sony Distagon FE 35mm f/1.4.

No color correction in post; just pulled down shadows and added a slight vignette around subject.

Beautiful contrast, pleasing bokeh, satisfactorily sharp (somewhere between f/2.8 and f/3.5, not sure).

This lens is a heavyweight among my primes.

Really hard to find fault with the camera, except for the file structure and numbering.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here’s another screengrab from my film... again shot with the Canon 28mm 1.8...

edit: sorry I uploaded the wrong screengrab...

Anyway, I still love the Canon 28mm 1.8, especially for the price I paid for it. I also have the 50mm 1.4 but I rarely ever use it. I think I may get the USM 85mm 1.8, has anyone ever used it?

Hey guys, looking for your input. 

Im looking to put together a small set of lenses, probably either Nikkor or Canon fd to pair with my GH5. I already have a couple Nikkors and the speedbooster, but I’ve heard great things about the fd’s, but I have no experience with them. 

I’d love to hear from folks with experience with fd’s, especially who’ve also used Nikkors. 

EDIT: add Minolta Rokkors to the  possible list. :)  @mercer

26 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Hey guys, looking for your input. 

Im looking to put together a small set of lenses, probably either Nikkor or Canon fd to pair with my GH5. I already have a couple Nikkors and the speedbooster, but I’ve heard great things about the fd’s, but I have no experience with them. 

I’d love to hear from folks with experience with fd’s, especially who’ve also used Nikkors. 

EDIT: add Minolta Rokkors to the  possible list. :)  @mercer

Read this about Minolta lenses... 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

But I’ve had many many Nikkor lenses and you really cannot go wrong for value to price with Nikkors... the 28mm f/2, 35mm f/2 and 35mm 1.4 are excellent lenses. 

Are you making a feature with the GH5?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Read this about Minolta lenses... 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

But I’ve had many many Nikkor lenses and you really cannot go wrong for value to price with Nikkors... the 28mm f/2, 35mm f/2 and 35mm 1.4 are excellent lenses. 

Are you making a feature with the GH5?

Can Minolta be adapted to EF? I don't have plans to use an EF camera, but I'm just wondering.

Man plan is to make several shorts. Been working on an idea for several months. Hopefully I get a chance to produce them in the near future.

11 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Can Minolta be adapted to EF? I don't have plans to use an EF camera, but I'm just wondering.

Man plan is to make several shorts. Been working on an idea for several months. Hopefully I get a chance to produce them in the near future.

A couple Minolta lenses can be converted by changing out the mount but not with a simple adapter... they require one of the adapters with glass. Same goes for FD lenses. Now I found a Minolta 35mm 1.8 that was converted that I use with my 5D3. It’s a lovely lens. Here’s a few Raw screengrabs from a test shoot...

8BEDCC35-AF00-4304-8CA1-48A681C1FD79.thumb.jpeg.5b88890f1bb88adf456239cab3321f29.jpeg1637C845-8AAB-4259-BF35-E537A8847FDB.thumb.jpeg.f36fa5469490f88781f1def2cf55849f.jpeg7882460C-D7E3-4EE9-962B-7A3ECFA7675E.thumb.jpeg.c6ba875df76424038443a0801841dace.jpeg60386406-DA93-412D-A71C-48ED242452F2.thumb.jpeg.275dbf877ac14d6d0d96f6647b80dcf7.jpeg

But honestly since you may need EF in the future, you’re probably better off with the Nikon Nikkor lenses. They are so well built and the IQ is simply gorgeous. Some of the ai-s lenses are still sold new today.

Here’s a frame from my short film and a test shot from the Nikkor 35mm 1.4...

EAB8A829-01E2-4F3D-8FF5-DD6C3C04FD78.jpeg

06ED50FF-8CC4-4AF0-AB0E-8B48CF76C969.jpeg

If you can look past my meager color grading skills, you can still see the attributes of the lenses.

Unfortunately I had to sell off some of my favorite Nikkor lenses but I may buy new copies. Or I may get a couple Zeiss ZF lenses instead and replace the mounts with Leitax EF mounts. Or if I do go with Nikkors, I’ll probably do the same.

I rate the FD L lenses as best but the non L ones are about the same as Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and Minolta though all makers have some gems and some lesser lenses.

That said, if it is for using on EF mount at any point, then it has to be pretty much Nikon (or older EF- some EF lenses are now around thirty years old).

With old lenses, I think the condition of the individual lens is much more important than that make and models overall reputation.

Here’s another shot from the Canon 28mm f/1.8 I bought a few months back for a song. I actually didn’t expect a lot from it when I bought it, but it’s been my goto lens for my short film...

BFA372A9-4ACB-4855-A1A9-B5CC4756A2F8.jpeg

But I really need to start investing in some lights. I got a great recommendation from Jon, with the Fotodiox Flapjacks, but does anyone else have any good suggestions for on camera lights?

hello all
i am after  some opinions on the pentax 85mm lenses either the 1.8 or 1.9 super takumar or smc version in  screw mount. i have other pentax screwmounts already so wish to continue the tradition or same look perhaps. the second reason is that after some research into anamorphics 85 mm is about the shortest i can go before vignetting sets in. i presume the super takumar would flare a little more than the smc version which may be advantageous  when i dip my feet in the murky waters of  anamorphics. from what i have seen on the pentax forums i dont think i can go wrong with either version. but this is a different forum with perhaps a wider viewpoint perhaps. anyway thanks in advance for any thoughts you wish to contribute

16 hours ago, mercer said:

Here’s another shot from the Canon 28mm f/1.8 I bought a few months back for a song. I actually didn’t expect a lot from it when I bought it, but it’s been my goto lens for my short film...

But I really need to start investing in some lights. I got a great recommendation from Jon, with the Fotodiox Flapjacks, but does anyone else have any good suggestions for on camera lights?

This is basically the focal length I’m going for. I’ve decided just to sit tight with my 18-35 for now and pick up the bm4kpcc when it ships. I wish there were more/faster lenses out there in the +-20mm range. The 18-35 is actually ideal except that it doesn’t have hard stops and is a bit long. 

19 hours ago, mercer said:

PM me. We can talk lights all day. ?

The 28mm 1.8 is a hidden gem. Not a whiz kid when it comes to test charts, but what a render.

19 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

This is basically the focal length I’m going for. I’ve decided just to sit tight with my 18-35 for now and pick up the bm4kpcc when it ships. I wish there were more/faster lenses out there in the +-20mm range. The 18-35 is actually ideal except that it doesn’t have hard stops and is a bit long. 

Yup, there aren’t many fast options in that focal range for larger sensor cameras.

So you may want to look into native lenses for the GH5. The Olympus 17mm 1.8 is a jewel of a lens and with the focus clutch, you can have your hard stops. And the Olympus 12-40mm, although not as fast as your Sigma, is a great little all purpose lens as well. And obviously there are the Voigtlanders that are unmatched in my opinion.

And then of course there are the Rokinon/Samyang Cine Lenses made for m4/3... the 12 and 21mm, I particularly liked and they’re nice and compact.

I don’t use a follow focus, but I assume you can set them up to have hard stops? But don’t quote me on that.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, leslie said:

hello all
i am after  some opinions on the pentax 85mm lenses either the 1.8 or 1.9 super takumar or smc version in  screw mount. i have other pentax screwmounts already so wish to continue the tradition or same look perhaps. the second reason is that after some research into anamorphics 85 mm is about the shortest i can go before vignetting sets in. i presume the super takumar would flare a little more than the smc version which may be advantageous  when i dip my feet in the murky waters of  anamorphics. from what i have seen on the pentax forums i dont think i can go wrong with either version. but this is a different forum with perhaps a wider viewpoint perhaps. anyway thanks in advance for any thoughts you wish to contribute

I went with Super Taks all the way & they really do pair well with Anamorphics. But do remember, even though the other Taks say SMC, they aren't anywhere near the type of multi-coating that you'll find in modern lenses. Also, Anamorphics do tend to shine better with longer focal length lenses - so after you get an 85mm, I know that there's a really great Super Tak 105mm f2.8 lens worth getting

On 7/15/2018 at 9:12 PM, BTM_Pix said:

You're not fucking about when it comes to buying lenses for that camera are you!

Until I went Sony, I had no idea what people were talking about when they said that these companies made all their money on lenses! ?

ok i found a super takumar 85mm  on ebay that i like to look of so bought it it was a little cheaper than i expected which was nice and its even on the same Continent as me  albeit the other side of the continent. next thing to do is get back in  touch with redstan    about a back clmp