Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Even on the lo-rez 4.7” screen of my iPhone 7, the difference between the 45mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.2 Pro is immediately apparent.

At 400 dollars versus 1200 dollars I would hope it is LoL. But yeah Olympus did a great job as usual, If you can afford them, they are the way to go no doubt.

But if you want that MF Clutch, which is almost a necessity for Video, you better have a Visa Platinum card that you haven't maxed out for a pair of those gems!

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

Seven full frame lenses patented by Olympus so far.

source

I think it is highly unlikely Olympus would go full frame with cameras. Their imaging division has only made a profit once in the last 10 years. Having abandoned 4/3 and never made a profit with M43, I think shareholders would literally lynch the management if they decided to diversify into a new camera mount.

It is quite possible though that Olympus could start making FF lenses for existing mounts - Sony FE or Nikon Z. Afterall their key expertise is optics and they make great lenses. 

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

I think it is highly unlikely Olympus would go full frame with cameras. Their imaging division has only made a profit once in the last 10 years. Having abandoned 4/3 and never made a profit with M43, I think shareholders would literally lynch the management if they decided to diversify into a new camera mount.

It is quite possible though that Olympus could start making FF lenses for existing mounts - Sony FE or Nikon Z. Afterall their key expertise is optics and they make great lenses. 

I think I did read some rumor that they might be doing Sony FE stuff heck over 6 months ago??

7 hours ago, heart0less said:

A lot of people say that there is a big copy variation due to Samyang's really poor quality control.

I'm going to exchange it for another one and then I'll see if it's worth keeping.

I can see using that effect once and awhile. But if that is the average output at that aperture, nah I would have to look for another solution.

You can Always use a filter to get that effect, but if you can't make it better looking, ehh I don't think so.That is the problem you are facing.

11 hours ago, heart0less said:

If anyone is looking for a lens with built-in Black Pro Mist filter, then I'd highly recommend Samyang/Rokinon 24mm T1.5

Wide open this thing glows like a Super Moon.

bigDSC01530_1.JPG

bigDSC01535_1.JPG

Not sure I would want to use a 24 1.4 lens wide open of a general scene (IE not a specific subject close up) like the first shot and the second might not quite be in focus on the rodent?

I guess there IS a reason that so few 24 1.4 lenses have ever been made -  to date only Canon FD ASPH, FD L, EF first and second versions, Nikon 24 1.4 (only one) Leica 24 1.4 (only one) and the Samyang/Rokinon clones - that is it I think that's only about seven models (counting the Samyang/Rokinon's and stills and video as one).

I have the old FD 24 1.4 L and have had it for a while but don't use it a lot but I do love it and it is growing on me.      I would stop it down for many uses even a little but for CLOSE in subjects with a wide background I quite like it wide open.

Stopped down and then wide open.

DSC03099.JPG

DSC02691.jpg

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can see using that effect once and awhile. But if that is the average output at that aperture, nah I would have to look for another solution.

That's totally true. No point in buying f/1.4 lens, which is unusable at f/1.4

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’ve seen the Veydra 25mm T2.2 selling for as little as $650 used. In reality, it is not much slower than the Rokinon and is a true cinema lens.

That'd be a great option, but true cine lenses are out of my league. I picked this Cine Rokinon only because it cost the same as non-cine version, which was ~330$

2 hours ago, noone said:

Not sure I would want to use a 24 1.4 lens wide open of a general scene (IE not a specific subject close up) like the first shot and the second might not quite be in focus on the rodent?

I bought it mainly to use it for astrophotography. It's really praised here: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-24mm-f1-4-ed-as-umc-review/ The reviewer even states that he had no hestitation to use it wide open which is not true in my case.

Believe me, the rodent (hamster to be precise ? ) could not be more in focus. Its whiskers are well defined but the glowing destroys overall sharpness.

That Samyang 24mm 1.4 is clearly not representative of what the lens is supposed to look like wide open. For reference, just look at some pics on Flickr. Exchange it and the next one is probably a lot better.

Quality for money, the Sigma 24mm 1.4 is amazing. In general I think the Sigma Art lenses are always a solid option, especially when adapting to mirrorless (no such thing as auto focus adjustment like in DSLR).

• Super Members
17 hours ago, heart0less said:

A lot of people say that there is a big copy variation due to Samyang's really poor quality control.

I'm going to exchange it for another one and then I'll see if it's worth keeping.

I have the non-cine version of this lens.

Unfortunately, I don't have a rodent to test it with but I have got a couple of charts so popped outside to take a couple for you at close focus and minimum focus at f1.4 to give you an example of what a typical one behaves like.

DSC_8858.thumb.jpg.c3ff35518f62c2428cebf812dfb3473a.jpg

DSC_8861.thumb.jpg.d57063d4b6f35e25de2a742ec54dd030.jpg

At that aperture, the sharpness drops off rapidly from the centre which is to be expected and the vignetting isn't all that either but these are shot on a full frame camera so your mileage may vary with a crop. 

Its a lens that was of its time really (I've had mine for 5 years) and if I was buying new today then I'd be looking to spring the extra for the Sigma ART 24mm 1.4

But if you can find a cheap used one that doesn't have a built in pro mist then the Samyang is certainly viable if you need that speed on a budget.

There’s an interesting discussion over at Diglloyd about color shifts when stopping down the Sigma Art 105mm f/1.4 (though this shift can be seen to some degree in other lenses as well). When it comes to custom white balance, Lloyd Chambers has this to say:

Then there is the question of correction for secondary color, which itself can impart a significant greenish cast to background out of focus areas, and magenta cast to OOF foreground areas (which is why a gray card must always be shot in focus and never even a little out of focus).

I also noticed a green tinge in the OOF background of a few of my videos shot with the GH5 and white balanced with an X-Rite Colorchecker (which I never bothered to focus). Apparently some brands and lenses are more susceptible to this effect than others. Still, I’m not entirely ruling out the possibility that the beta LUTs I was testing might have contributed to the green tinge.

Something else to test in another life!