Lenses

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I picked up a 35mm Mamiya f3.5 a few weeks ago and looking to get the 150mm or 210mm later this week when I'm in London.

I have a Nikon adapter for them so then its a case of then putting them on the speebooster of choice to get them on the other systems.

They are not as big physically as you'd imagine and they are a lot of lens for the money.

They just about give them away for Z mount also!! But yeah even the MF ones are pretty damn cheap at times.

https://www.keh.com/shop/mamiya-150mm-f-3-5-auto-focus-telephoto-lens-703257.html?m=Grouped&prod_id=532337&aid=532337&rmatt=tsid:|cid:1410740124|agid:57158650444|tid:pla-647159961512|crid:270853360458|nw:g|rnd:12346559244761457953|dvc:c|adp:1o3&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP9tQj4x-e3sSH7xFsQH4CCl2HN5dhp4rxIDi9ZJKIQ9KIfD4yuo9iRoCh8YQAvD_BwE

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow I don't see how they could ever read all that data coming off the Sensor fast enough to have video, at least good video??

Full resolution off the green layer and 1/4 off the other two.

It was always going to be something where the processing grunt would come round to meet it one day and it looks like they may be short circuiting it as well to get a foundation at least.

3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki gives some of the best interviews. Really appreciate what his family has built and the values and quality they stand for. Very respectable brand. They have their own camera and system because they feel it's important for a lens manufacturer to see that things from that side of the interchangable lens system. Something to learn from rather than then to reap the fruits of and being a total ca$hcow. They're bound to do more interesting things in due course, I'm sure. Not sure though if that would or should be a video camera. But their lenses efforts are always impressive.

Yep, I always enjoy reading them.

He's really committed to Foveon because he firmly believes its the best path maybe not today but further down the line.

I would love that path to have a little branch off to video land ;)

Anyone used medium format lenses for video yet? I'm putting together a zeiss set and it's hard to find 80-100mm primes. But you can buy apentacon six with an 80mm 2.8 kit lens and it can be adapted to pretty much anything it seems. 

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, jagnje said:

Anyone used medium format lenses for video yet? I'm putting together a zeiss set and it's hard to find 80-100mm primes. But you can buy apentacon six with an 80mm 2.8 kit lens and it can be adapted to pretty much anything it seems. 

I have a Mamiya 35mm and will probably pick up the 210 tomorrow. I've got a Nikon adapter as a conduit to the other mounts via speedboosters. 

They do an 80mm 2.8 as well (which I haven't got one of yet) so it's not a bad system to get in to either.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/misc/mamiya/mamiya-standard-645/474-mamiya-645-80mm-f28-lens-review

Mattias has done a very interesting video on his YouTube channel that you should check out using the KiponBaveyes speedbooster on full frame E mount.

I'll post a couple of frames from the Mamiyas when I get back at the weekend. 

5 hours ago, jagnje said:

Thought of doing it with  RZ67 lenses but the adaptor is pretty awkward and expensive since it has to emulate the bellows type focusing. They are a really cheap way to get some absolutely classic glass though. Sold my 180mm for under 100. ?

Thought this might be interesting for you guys: 
I was at the Berllin Museum for photography this week and had the chance to see "Helmut Newtons private property" that gathered all his belongings shortly before he died in a car crash. 
(one of the most famous photographers of all time). 
At one point we could see the lenses he owned. Apart from some full format camera stuff he must have often shot with small handy cameras like the eos100d, pentax and nikon. 
Sadly the museum staff didn't put all the lenses the way that you could see focal lenghts and apertures (like nobody would be interested in that ? ), but I think I could make out he used the same range of lenses for all of his cameras. 
This is what I think I could see: 35mm (don't know the aperture), 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.4  as well as 135mm 3.5, all nikkor f`s. 

Newton seemed to use just about every camera under the sun. From what I remember reading, one of the consistent factors as far as the tech stuff was he mostly used Tri X/5063 and the way he processed it, going for a "thick" negative (ETTR in today's terms) then printing down.

He was just getting into digital when he died. It would've been interesting to see.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:04 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I think the interesting path left would be an established 3rd party lens company like Sigma, Tokina or Tamron doing anamorphics. 

The CEO of Sigma said they'd look at it if the demand was there after they launched their cine lenses.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/sigma-may-develop-anamorphic-lenses/

The salient point being the if the demand was there part.

Sigma could really be disruptive if they had a mind to.

They filed a patent last year that seems to suggest they have a method of making a Foveon based video camera

https://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-11-24

Going by my SD Quattro, they've got enough room on their SA mount to put an electronic variable ND in it (in point of fact there is enough room in there for a regular variable ND and a small child to operate it for you).

They obviously know enough about all manufacturers lens mounts to build adapters to it as well.

Add in their own anamorphics and with no internal consumer/professional segmentation to protect....

They could do some interesting stuff.

I think there would be more demand for their anamorphic lenses then their spherical cinema lenses. Where most of us dont upgrade because the image is the same as the still lenses. As for anamorphic it makes a completely different image. So I for sure would upgrade to that. Hope to get more news from Samyang anamorphic lenses soon, otherwise hope the orion atlas lenses will hit rental stores in europe soon, as the rental price of these is still quite ok.  

Update on the Veydra X-mounts.

I received an e-mail from Ryan Avery the other day telling me that if I hadn’t received the X-mounts yet, that he had them if I still needed them. I wrote to say that I’d gotten them already, but for some reason they were barely acceptably sharp even when stopped down to f/5.6 and asked if there was anything I could do.

He replied:

The sharpness has to do with flange depth and there isn’t any fix for that other than to remove material from the mount to get the rear element closer to the sensor. Some Fuji mounts have some adjustment behind them but its not an easy fix.

Unusual, because I recently uploaded a half dozen 1-minute videos with the Veydras shot wide open with the GH5 and they are all sharp. And the X-T2 videos I shot way back when with Fuji lenses were all incredibly detailed. 

I might go back and try again, but there seems to be little interest in seeing tests with them anyhow, and I’m busy shooting with the Sony atm.

• Super Members
22 hours ago, jonpais said:

Update on the Veydra X-mounts.

I received an e-mail from Ryan Avery the other day telling me that if I hadn’t received the X-mounts yet, that he had them if I still needed them. I wrote to say that I’d gotten them already, but for some reason they were barely acceptably sharp even when stopped down to f/5.6 and asked if there was anything I could do.

He replied:

The sharpness has to do with flange depth and there isn’t any fix for that other than to remove material from the mount to get the rear element closer to the sensor. Some Fuji mounts have some adjustment behind them but its not an easy fix.

Unusual, because I recently uploaded a half dozen 1-minute videos with the Veydras shot wide open with the GH5 and they are all sharp. And the X-T2 videos I shot way back when with Fuji lenses were all incredibly detailed. 

I might go back and try again, but there seems to be little interest in seeing tests with them anyhow, and I’m busy shooting with the Sony atm.

Wouldn't the C mount be the best option for you to put on the Veydra's Jon and then you can use cheap C mount adapters to be able to quickly swap them between using them on your GH5, X-T2 and A7III (in crop mode) ?