Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm just editing a little highlight reel from the Berlin Fashion Week last year, and I deeply regret selling my Canon FD 24mm 2.8 lens now. Some of the rendering is really nice, to my eyes at least. I replaced it with the Sony 28mm lens, and that's great, but it is just lacking something. Also used a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/4, GFILM settings and Deluts Downtown Alt as a base LUT if you were curious.

fashion4.png

fashion3.png

fashion2.png

fashion1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me... or did things around lenses really slow down? We used to have Veydra disrupting the market, XEEN following. Chinese companies like SLR Magic and Zhongyi releasing crazy new lenses. Sigma bringing us the amazing 18-35mm f/1.8. Sure, now we have cheapo Chinese brands re-doing certain lenses (Meike, Yongnuo, 7Artisans, ...), so I guess that's sorta a new market. Somewhat recently then Olympus PRO went f/1.2 as Panaleica and Sigma went with solid f/1.4 options. Maybe the most exciting news now is that anamorphics are being developed that come in cheaper than the industry pro ones. But otherwise I've got the feeling we don't have much going on except for brands polishing up some of their existing line-up.

I've always sorta quested for new looks, of course that included going down the vintage road and that resulted in quite the collection. But occassionally something new would come along as well providing new looks and possibilities. I sorta miss brands pushing forwards like they did, becaus I haven't really been excited for what they've been doing in a while. On the one hand of course a good thing, we get reminded these aren't consumables with a short expiration date and that what's out there is plenty good already. ?

DSC01557.thumb.JPG.9ad5cc12f077afbc44b17d48b6fc619d.JPG

I would think a lot of the cheap as heck FF, MF lenses on ebay, Amazon, Craigslist have more character than new Cine lenses. And MF lenses have Big dials on them to change focus, aperture.

I know that new to me, this old m42 Pentax 135mm, f 2.8 is about as sharp as you can get, and I paid like 4 dollars for it in reality. And I am like 20 feet away easy when I shot it. If there was a piece of micro film on the license plate you would have been able to read it! I can Always put a filter on it to soften it, sure can't make a lens sharper.

Never actually dabbled in the MF stuff. Mostly because I'm a MFT kinda guy due to the fact you can keep the lenses compact. But it would be an idea for getting glass with different qualities. Do love me the older stuff indeed. Have a couple different 135 f/2.8's. One of 'em a Vivitar that is actually pretty sweet and does macro quite well. The Russian Tair-11 is something special too. Like the MIR-1 it got awarded the 'Grand Prix' back in the day for a reason.

17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Never actually dabbled in the MF stuff. Mostly because I'm a MFT kinda guy due to the fact you can keep the lenses compact. But it would be an idea for getting glass with different qualities. Do love me the older stuff indeed. Have a couple different 135 f/2.8's. One of 'em a Vivitar that is actually pretty sweet and does macro quite well. The Russian Tair-11 is something special too. Like the MIR-1 it got awarded the 'Grand Prix' back in the day for a reason.

It is like this gem. Amazing lens. All the Helios ones are crazy good, but this one, wow if you are into Bokeh LoL..

https://www.flickr.com/groups/helios_40-2/pool/page1

And this by Mattias. He seems to like Mamiya lenses on them. The pictures at the end are pretty damn impressive. But he does know his stuff.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Is it just me... or did things around lenses really slow down? We used to have Veydra disrupting the market, XEEN following. Chinese companies like SLR Magic and Zhongyi releasing crazy new lenses. Sigma bringing us the amazing 18-35mm f/1.8. Sure, now we have cheapo Chinese brands re-doing certain lenses (Meike, Yongnuo, 7Artisans, ...), so I guess that's sorta a new market. Somewhat recently then Olympus PRO went f/1.2 as Panaleica and Sigma went with solid f/1.4 options. Maybe the most exciting news now is that anamorphics are being developed that come in cheaper than the industry pro ones. But otherwise I've got the feeling we don't have much going on except for brands polishing up some of their existing line-up.

I've always sorta quested for new looks, of course that included going down the vintage road and that resulted in quite the collection. But occassionally something new would come along as well providing new looks and possibilities. I sorta miss brands pushing forwards like they did, becaus I haven't really been excited for what they've been doing in a while. On the one hand of course a good thing, we get reminded these aren't consumables with a short expiration date and that what's out there is plenty good already. ?

I think the interesting path left would be an established 3rd party lens company like Sigma, Tokina or Tamron doing anamorphics. 

The CEO of Sigma said they'd look at it if the demand was there after they launched their cine lenses.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/sigma-may-develop-anamorphic-lenses/

The salient point being the if the demand was there part.

Sigma could really be disruptive if they had a mind to.

They filed a patent last year that seems to suggest they have a method of making a Foveon based video camera

https://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-11-24

Going by my SD Quattro, they've got enough room on their SA mount to put an electronic variable ND in it (in point of fact there is enough room in there for a regular variable ND and a small child to operate it for you).

They obviously know enough about all manufacturers lens mounts to build adapters to it as well.

Add in their own anamorphics and with no internal consumer/professional segmentation to protect....

They could do some interesting stuff.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

They filed a patent last year that seems to suggest they have a method of making a Foveon based video camera

https://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-11-24

Going by my SD Quattro, they've got enough room on their SA mount to put an electronic variable ND in it (in point of fact there is enough room in there for a regular variable ND and a small child to operate it for you).

They obviously know enough about all manufacturers lens mounts to build adapters to it as well.

Add in their own anamorphics and with no internal consumer/professional segmentation to protect....

They could do some interesting stuff.

Wow I don't see how they could ever read all that data coming off the Sensor fast enough to have video, at least good video??

Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki gives some of the best interviews. Really appreciate what his family has built and the values and quality they stand for. Very respectable brand. They have their own camera and system because they feel it's important for a lens manufacturer to see that things from that side of the interchangable lens system. Something to learn from rather than then to reap the fruits of and being a total ca$hcow. They're bound to do more interesting things in due course, I'm sure. Not sure though if that would or should be a video camera. But their lenses efforts are always impressive.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Never actually dabbled in the MF stuff. Mostly because I'm a MFT kinda guy due to the fact you can keep the lenses compact. But it would be an idea for getting glass with different qualities. 

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

And this by Mattias. He seems to like Mamiya lenses on them. 

I picked up a 35mm Mamiya f3.5 a few weeks ago and looking to get the 150mm or 210mm later this week when I'm in London.

I have a Nikon adapter for them so then its a case of then putting them on the speebooster of choice to get them on the other systems.

They are not as big physically as you'd imagine and they are a lot of lens for the money.