Lenses

Andrew Reid

16 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Thanks! Yep, F3 running 10-bit 4:2:2 into a Blackmagic Video Assist. 

The director just did some basic corrections and a film emulation LUT. I'll post updated stills once we finish our pickups and start on the proper grade.

Please do! Even with that basic post work, the images look so thick and juicy... cinema cameras cannot be beat. If I wasn’t such a run and gun shooter, I would definitely consider the F3... but I doubt I could go incognito on a ferry to shoot a scene while looking like a tourist. But for the price...and maybe double the price... the F3 is the best image around.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had the 19 & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN versions from that line that later got rehoused (and became 'A' (Art) tagged) to that DN housing the 60mm has (which I wasn't a fan of - it has a completely smooth finish; no grip on the focus ring). Optically stellar for the price. Which was around 100 bucks each. Mechanically... not so great, quite plasticky and rattling. Think Steve Huff called one of these 'bang for buck of the year' once.

@Cinegain I just took the lens out of its box. I find that although the focus ring is indeed smooth and shiny, the grip is fine - though that might change if my hands get sweaty. :) Anyhow, I don't plan on manually focusing with this thing. It's gotta be one of the tiniest lenses in my collection - think a Laowa 7.5mm that's been working out at the gym for 6 months. :=) Crazy to think I'll be able to get a 168mm ff equivalent with ETC! And it's supposed to be razor sharp from center to edge wide open. 

IMG_0942.jpg

Yeah, what would be interesting to see is how it would compare wide open against a pinched 75mm f/1.8 or Nocti 42.5mm f/1.2 set to f/2.8. Or price wise how it could keep up or beat say the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 or Panaleica 45mm f/2.8. Concerning the footprint... a Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 or Olympus 45mm f/1.8 should be around that same mark I believe. Not sure about that smooth finish, but that might well be a thing that looks more iffy than it really is.

Does anyone have experience with the new 7Artisans 35mm f1.2 APS-C manual prime lens (for Sony E-mount, Fuji X-mount and Canon EOS-M)? 

It looks incredibly small - smaller than many pancakes -, weighs only 150g and costs less than $150.

I'm not expecting optical miracles, with such a large aperture combined with such a compact and simple optical construction. But still the question is: Will it only perform like a toy lens, or will be it a decent lens when stopped down and good enough for portraits wide open?

• Super Members

That 60mm f2.8 practically lived on my GH3 back in the day.

@cantsin I don't have any experience with the 35mm but if the 50mm is any indication of the brand I would say its worth a try.
I use my 50mm f1.1 all the time. Its great on APS-H and APS-C. Needs some correction on FF E-Mount but the its worth it when you get the level of detail that it can render.

@cantsin I think it's pretty fair to think of those along the lines of them APS-C covering C-mount lenses we've been seeing before (a post about emerging Chinese brands earlier last year here). Just for some reason when 7Artisans came out (which seems to be a brand that takes different existing lenses and rebrands them to sell 'em under one roof, that's why their housing designs aren't consistent at all), rumor sites and YouTube channels started pumping out coverage like crazy, so they're the latest hype. Wouldn't really argue that they're a good bang for buck, but... you might've gotten in, but you're still not really sitting front row for a penny of course.

I think it's primarily a nice option for starters. When I started out in the interchangeable lens system realm with the GH2 one of the first things was getting my hand on cheap vintage Minolta and Pentax glass as well as e.g. that ultracheap Fujian 35mm C-mount on eBay (not too shabby; as well similar looking 25mm (terrible) and 50mm (ok-ish)). Think for people in a similar position, that perhaps can only afford a Panasonic G7, that might be great to start with on the cheap. And some of these C-mount lenses weren't really usable as anything but a toy lens ('character'), where others would actually give you quite usable results in some conditions. So... I'd say they're probably usable and alright value. But if you're already well-equipped or have got the money... I wouldn't easily be swayed by the price and specs on paper. My 2 satoshis.

I'm looking for the best 85mm out there to use with speedbooster xl. Anybody has experience or know if the manual focus is usable on the Canon 85mm F1.2 l mark ii? The new Sigma 85mm is great, but the picture quality is a bit too clinical for my taste. Is the manual focus any better than the mark I version. Honestly i would rather get the FD version, but that won't fit on the EF mount without a conversion.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

@cantsin I think it's pretty fair to think of those along the lines of them APS-C covering C-mount lenses we've been seeing before (a post about emerging Chinese brands earlier last year here). 

Where can I find these cheap full frame covering Zeiss Sonnar lenses with an f1.1 aperture that they have rebranded?

'Along the lines' = not the exact very same in that case (although e.g. the 25mm f/1.8 is actually 1:1 OEM). So along the lines of a scaled up Kamlan 50mm f/1.1.

fIxY4DH.png

Probably from the same factory and chances are one existed already (perhaps in some other mount, by an undiscovered brand; weird to out of the blue go for one M-mount lens anyways). Neways, same kind of vibe. Quirky and character for cheap Chinese prices, which is fine if you're into it. Kind of what the Russians have been doing/are doing as well. This is on the opposite spectrum side compared to OTUS and Art stuff.

1 hour ago, Fatalfury said:

I'm looking for the best 85mm out there to use with speedbooster xl. Anybody has experience or know if the manual focus is usable on the Canon 85mm F1.2 l mark ii? The new Sigma 85mm is great, but the picture quality is a bit too clinical for my taste. Is the manual focus any better than the mark I version. Honestly i would rather get the FD version, but that won't fit on the EF mount without a conversion.

What about the Mitakon 85 1.2 in EF mount?

I do love my old 85 1.2 FD but it has the dissolving bearings problem some FD lenses have so focus is very loose.      You could always get a FD to M43 focal reducer to go with the FD 85 1.2.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

@cantsin I don't have any experience with the 35mm but if the 50mm is any indication of the brand I would say its worth a try.
I use my 50mm f1.1 all the time. Its great on APS-H and APS-C. Needs some correction on FF E-Mount but the its worth it when you get the level of detail that it can render.

That recent photo you posted on IG of gunpowder shot with the 7artisans is absolutely stunning!!!

On 1/15/2018 at 9:06 PM, noone said:

What about the Mitakon 85 1.2 in EF mount?

I do love my old 85 1.2 FD but it has the dissolving bearings problem some FD lenses have so focus is very loose.      You could always get a FD to M43 focal reducer to go with the FD 85 1.2.

Hmmn, Mitakon looks interesting. Never realized they made lenses for the EF mount, iq looks decent as well. Altough for that money i'd rather get a Canon FD 85L. Just loaned a Helios 44-2 85mm F1.4, will so how that pans out.