Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Mattias Burling  Hi Matthias, I wonder whether you've tried the Olympus 17mm on your LS300? Does it cover the entire sensor? I've been looking for a native wide for this odd ball camera. I suspect the image circle of my Voigtlander 17.5 is not big enough. Tkx. 

@cindy6 have you considered the Rokinon/Samyang 16mm in M4/3rds?

If you want to go really wide, the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm will probably cover the S35mm sensor as well since the same lens is made for Sony, Fuji and EOS-M.

I just checked and according to BH, the Rokinon 12mm Cine Lens will cover aps-c sensors.

• Super Members
11 hours ago, cindy6 said:

@Mattias Burling  Hi Matthias, I wonder whether you've tried the Olympus 17mm on your LS300? Does it cover the entire sensor? I've been looking for a native wide for this odd ball camera. I suspect the image circle of my Voigtlander 17.5 is not big enough. Tkx. 

It covers APS-C. But with some barrel distortion. There is a frame grab of that somewhere in the ls300 thread.

On 4.12.2017 at 7:55 PM, PannySVHS said:

Would love to have that lens in a housing of a mechanical lens. Like inazuma said, focussing is no fun at all.

This.

I found myself multiple times watching disassembly videos just to see, whether one could rehouse it. I mean even if it is fly-by-wire, in the end the stepping motor has to turn some gearwheel that change the position of the lenses... but yeah, this would require major mechanical engineering skills.

17 hours ago, cindy6 said:

@mercer Tkx! But the Samyang 16/2.0 is mf and heavy at 610g. will check up the screen grab @Mattias Burling mentioned. if nothing else works, prob. will end up w/ the new Sigma 16/1.4 dn. sigh... I guess you just can't have everything.

Actually, you can have it all (minus mf)! The Sigma 16mm is easily one of the best lenses in the micro four thirds lineup and is ridiculously inexpensive. There's little to moan about a fast, wide, incredibly sharp lens that costs under $450. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Actually, you can have it all (minus mf)! The Sigma 16mm is easily one of the best lenses in the micro four thirds lineup and is ridiculously inexpensive. There's little to moan about a fast, wide, incredibly sharp lens that costs under $450. 

I still can't believe it how cheap that M43 lens is for what it gives.

@jonpais When you have some time can you focus in your videos or here in the forum a little on ND filters and lenses ? Thanks

@jonpais It's a workhorse for sure and that's why I have the Sigma 30/1.4 dn in the same series. But the latter is quite bulky and the perspective too flat to my eyes. IQ, while great, cannot really be compared to the Voigt or the Sigma 35mm Art. The perfect lenses for apsc sensor IMO should be the Fuji series. They have release an e mount lens, so, maybe, one day they will release for m43 as well:) 

16 minutes ago, cindy6 said:

@jonpais It's a workhorse for sure and that's why I have the Sigma 30/1.4 dn in the same series. But the latter is quite bulky and the perspective too flat to my eyes. IQ, while great, cannot really be compared to the Voigt or the Sigma 35mm Art. The perfect lenses for apsc sensor IMO should be the Fuji series. They have release an e mount lens, so, maybe, one day they will release for m43 as well:) 

I had the 35mm and the 50mm 1.4 art Sigma Nikon Mount and from what I see the only difference is the sensor not the quality of both lenses which is simply great.

If the 30mm 1.4 is bulky the 35 and 50mm for FF are huge.

The 16mm Sigma 1.4 at that price is a game changer for both M43 and for Sony A6xxx.

If Sigma could offer a 14-30mm F/1.4 zoom lens for m43 ... (the 18-35 1.8 and metabones speed booster is too bulky for my tastes) 

A 24mm and a 45mm (field of view equivalent) F/1.4 of that quality on a Sony it's simply great.

@cindy6 It is a touch difficult to follow when you begin by talking about a 16mm m4/3 lens, then a 30mm lens, then a 35mm full frame lens, then APSC. Comparing so many different focal lengths with different sensor coverage hurts my poor brain. :) 

Perspective is a function of focal length; it does not change according to the manufacturer.

The $900.00 fully manual Voigtlander 17.5mm is an excellent lens. The 10.5mm is a poor construction. The Nokton 17.5mm will be good for certain applications, while the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN will be better for others. I covered this in my review.

I would be delighted if Fuji decided to produce lenses for m4/3, but I think that's a pipe dream.