Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Edit: To those wondering whether I'll be reviewing the Olympus 17.5mm f/1.2 - no way am I going to spend $1,200.00 on a fourth medium wide angle. :=)

Couple questions for you Jon. That Oly is actually a 17mm correct? I have no experience with their "clutch" focus mechanism. How does it compare to fly by wire or a traditional focus ring?

On an unrelated note, I was looking at the metadata from my GH5 and Lumix 12-35. The camera would correctly label the focal that I was at, say 17mm. However, the 35mm equivalent was different than a simple 2x crop. Should have said 34mm, but said 39mm. It did this with every focal length. So is the GH5 crop like 2.3x instead of 2x? @jonpais do you know anything about this?

Lastly, does anyone here have experience with the Voigtlander 17.5? Thoughts? Particularly regarding the focus throw? I hate how some of these still lenses can move 10 feet with a 32nd of an inch turn on the focus ring. I assume since it's purely a manual lens it is probably pretty good. Just hoping someone here can give me their hands on experience. 

Yes, @Jonesy Jones, the Oly’s actually going to be 17mm..

I must be the only one here who finds manual clutches annoying, because I’m always forgetting about them and wondering why my AF isn’t working when I hit tap to focus. =) I haven’t used it enough to comment on it, but nothing can replace a MF lens.

The GH5 has a 2X crop, just ignore what the LCD screen says. hehe

15 minutes ago, anonim said:

Yes, go for it. Maybe just put on sale some of the rest your lenses. At least here everyone know they are mint!

Yeah sure, there's not better way to spend his lifetime pension for a middle class retired american in Vietnam than buying an overweight 7000$ single focal anamorphic lens. Way to go dude. I mean... Guys. Come on. Overkill is the word coming to my mind... 

1 hour ago, Julien416 said:

Yeah sure, there's not better way to spend his lifetime pension for a middle class retired american in Vietnam than buying an overweight 7000$ single focal anamorphic lens. Way to go dude. I mean... Guys. Come on. Overkill is the word coming to my mind... 

Why not? Passion moving us, and I'm sure that passion has to be praised for keeping Jon so youngish and sympa to various Vietnamese beauties.

At least Jon would be the only one "retired american", not just in Vietnam, with Atlas lens, in the world.

Who knows what his story may resulted... some of us could make some spectacular indie movie about Jon's life road - including, of course, himself, or Neumans: GROWING TO THE ATLAS.

Besides, what I've learned playing with matters about this topic is - the more you instruments are distinguished and pricey, bigger are chances to resell them if they are really precious for work - although, of course, with some lose.

2 hours ago, Julien416 said:

It depends. If pension, it´s regular income, if middleclass, it might be of pleasing amount, if in Vietnam, maginficient place for filming. Overkill is all the technology we are using our natural resources on, TVs, smarphones with the calculating power of workstations just a few years ago, everything is overkill. So, taking the essence, I get out of your comment regarding 7000USd for one lens: No, I wouldnt buy it, rather have the Veydra and other fun lenses for shooting, stayin light and sharp.

I would love to see more of that 16mm Veydra and that 8mm 2.0 wonder. But it also takes a lot of work to do these videos Jon does. So I am happy for the insights you gave us, Jon. Thank you for that!

On 30/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, jonpais said:

Edit: To those wondering whether I'll be reviewing the Olympus 17.5mm f/1.2 - no way am I going to spend $1,200.00 on a fourth medium wide angle. :=)

400 euros for a Sigma 16mm F/1.4 and 1200 for the 17.5mm F/1.2

I still think that if I want to invest some money in a wide-angle it is the Panasonic Leica 12mm to be the next one.

There is something in the colors of that lens that makes me want to try it again and to buy it ...

I think I'm finished shooting sample footage with the Sigma 16mm for the time being, I'm planning to shoot with the Veydra 16mm and 85mm on Thursday. This was shot this afternoon 4K, 400Mbps, ALL-Intra, HLG, ISO 400, ETC Mode, Leeming LUT, quick color correction.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 5.03.05 PM.png

@jonpais holy shit that looks great ? so much dynamic range yet still contrasty

On 11/30/2017 at 2:46 PM, Jonesy Jones said:

Lastly, does anyone here have experience with the Voigtlander 17.5? Thoughts? Particularly regarding the focus throw? I hate how some of these still lenses can move 10 feet with a 32nd of an inch turn on the focus ring. I assume since it's purely a manual lens it is probably pretty good. Just hoping someone here can give me their hands on experience. 

The voigtlander is one of the best lenses I’ve owned. I miss it. The mf feels very precise 

48 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

How's the focus throw? Is it at least longer than all these af lenses?

Good old video sample review from one of the indie genius Seb Farges

So I'm holding 17.5mm at the moment :)

infinity to 1m is about 1-1.5cm of focus ring throw, so it's easy to quickly focus within that distance. From 1m and closer, the focus throw becomes progressively loooonger... until you forget that once upon a time you started to rotate it,... giving you the ability to make very fine adjustments down to about 1.5cm from end of lens.

Smoothness and dump-quality is second to none in m43 and aps-c world, on pair - or a tine bit stiffer - with (original) leicas, little bit better than zeisses.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/06/03/review-voigtlander-17-5mm-f0-95-lens-micro-four-thirds/

https://lepidi-photo.blogspot.rs/2012/07/test-du-voigtlander-nokton-175-mm-f095.html

https://lepidi-photo.blogspot.rs/2012/07/test-du-voigtlander-nokton-175-mm-f095_28.html

https://lepidi-photo.blogspot.rs/2012/08/test-du-voigtlander-nokton-175-mm-f095.html

https://lepidi-photo.blogspot.rs/2012/08/test-du-voigtlander-nokton-175-mm-f095_13.html

@Inazuma Both good reads. All else being equal, I much prefer the 90mm focal length to the 85mm. Olympus seems to have hit another home run, but present owners of the Leica need not panic and put their Nocticrons on eBay. I bought mine new for $1,200, and don’t regret it one bit.

If you’re on a budget; want something that is both razor sharp and has more beautiful bokeh than either of the two tested lenses; if you already own the PL 12-60 and are looking for something with longer reach; or if you dislike the form factor of the “Pro” designated lenses as much as I do: save yourself $700 and get the wonderfully compact Olympus 75mm f/1.8.

edit: the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 is selling for just $750 now at B&H, which is a steal.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@Inazuma Both good reads. All else being equal, I much prefer the 90mm focal length to the 85mm. Olympus seems to have hit another home run, but present owners of the Leica need not panic and put their Nocticrons on eBay. I bought mine new for $1,200, and don’t regret it one bit.

If you’re on a budget; want something that is both razor sharp and has more beautiful bokeh than either of the two tested lenses; if you already own the PL 12-60 and are looking for something with longer reach; or if you dislike the form factor of the “Pro” designated lenses as much as I do: save yourself $700 and get the wonderfully compact Olympus 75mm f/1.8.

edit: the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 is selling for just $750 now at B&H, which is a steal.

My friend just bought the 17mm 1.8 and I had a chance to mess around with it the other day. Beautiful lens, love the clutch. So can only imagine how the Pro models are. After seeing how nice the Olympus lenses are, I’m looking for a reason to buy back into m4/3... I may have to buy another Pocket or Micro.