Lenses

Andrew Reid

@anonim
Actually i'm pretty new in film making (i guess the videos obviously indicated so:grimace:). I'm still learning and improving, comments and critique are welcomed :grin:  

The client requested canon standard profile alike picture, and i have to deliver it........ their in house videographer even shoot in canon standard profile with few settings bumped up...

----------------------------------------

Could it be Zhongyi apply different internal finishing between RJ and Zhongyi version of lens turbo? 

Pls refer to the attached images. The nasty flare and light leak is severe with Nikon 16-35mm f/4. And it's a whole lot better with 50mm 1.4G and 50mm 1.2 ai-s.

P1100627.MP4.00_00_11_08.Still001.jpg

P1100631.MP4.00_00_10_37.Still001.jpg

P1100632.MP4.00_00_08_10.Still001.jpg

P1100641.MP4.00_00_04_19.Still001.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, Terry Lee said:

@anonim
Actually i'm pretty new in film making (i guess the videos obviously indicated so:grimace:). I'm still learning and improving, comments and critique are welcomed :grin:  

The client requested canon standard profile alike picture, and i have to deliver it........ their in house videographer even shoot in canon standard profile with few settings bumped up...

----------------------------------------

Could it be Zhongyi apply different internal finishing between RJ and Zhongyi version of lens turbo? 

Pls refer to the attached images. The nasty flare and light leak is severe with Nikon 16-35mm f/4. And it's a whole lot better with 50mm 1.4G and 50mm 1.2 ai-s.

P1100627.MP4.00_00_11_08.Still001.jpg

P1100631.MP4.00_00_10_37.Still001.jpg

P1100632.MP4.00_00_08_10.Still001.jpg

P1100641.MP4.00_00_04_19.Still001.jpg

Your videos look nice. It’s interesting that the client wants that Canon look. Are they a big enough of a client to pick up a 5D4 or an 80D if 1080p is good enough?

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Your videos look nice. It’s interesting that the client wants that Canon look. Are they a big enough of a client to pick up a 5D4 or an 80D if 1080p is good enough?

@mercer

i actually doesn't deal directly with the couple. I shoot for the bridal shop, and it's the bridal shop requested contrasty and saturated colour.

btw, here in this small city I stay. there are still lot of people shooting on 5D2 60d & 550d...... yet to see any photographer/videographer shooting on 5D4...

videographer here are jumping ship to Sony, while almost all wedding photographer still sticking to their same old trustworthy canon/Nikon dslr.

Surprised that the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN for MFT is being released alongside the E mount version. I thought we’d be in for a long wait. Even more surprised to learn that they rely on optical correction firmware, something I thought only  the original manufacturers’ lenses did. Haven’t figured out yet whether I should be disappointed or not... Does anyone have any information about whether the 30mm f/1.4 DC DN does the same? Are you interested in either of the 16mm lenses? Will knowing that the lenses use firmware correction affect your buying decision?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Surprised that the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN for MFT is being released alongside the E mount version. I thought we’d be in for a long wait. Even more surprised to learn that they rely on optical correction firmware, something I thought only  the original manufacturers’ lenses did. Haven’t figured out yet whether I should be disappointed or not... Does anyone have any information about whether the 30mm f/1.4 DC DN does the same? Are you interested in either of the 16mm lenses? Will knowing that the lenses use firmware correction affect your buying decision?

The 30mm has a firmware update you should install to fix distortion. Information at following link, I cant find the actual download link at the moment (they dont make it easy to find). The 16 will certainly need help with distortion and won't affect my decision. Looks like there was also a 30 firmware update for focusing with Olympus camera/s. I will just wait for a review or two before buying the 16mm with the 2.8 19mm reviewing much lower than the longer lenses.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/notice-to-30mm-dc-dn-micro-fourthirds-users/

Well, I find there's already quite stunning value in both Leica 15mm f/1.7 (compact, option to use aperture ring for manual setting) and Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (tiny, MF de-clutch) already, which are both around that €449 price point as well. Personally I'm not sure if I'd be willing to give up those advantages for the bigger Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN for that slight advantage in light gathering capability... and I'm sure the Sigma will be optically ahead of these two, also because it was meant with APS-C in mind as well, so you're cropping out the 'bad' corners, if there even would be any to speak of, but the Leica renders beautifully and with character and the Olympus is just so damn small and does just fine. So, it's tough. In this range I'd be inclined to pick the Leica. But it will depend on how the Sigma performs. The 30mm f/1.4 DC DN is a bit more of an obvious choice, as there is few 30mm but that are f/2.8-3.5 and otherwise ones that are off that focal length quite a bit and/or can't quite keep up in performance/value.

Regarding lens firmware for Sigma MFT. I knew it exists, but I figured it was for like autofocus drive and stuff. Is the first time too for me to hear that a manufacturer would correct for third party lenses, I think it's usually because they don't want to map every lens to ensure proper behaviour themselves... maybe Sigma has agreed to provide that for them and they're okay with it, whereas Olympus doesn't want to unveil their secret sauce so people are more inclined to use their lenses on their native camera bodies? Not sure. I don't mind anyways. All manufacturers rely on this for jpeg with their own lenses, why should you suddenly be disappointed having that for a 3rd party lens?

@Cinegain I suppose since Sigma's already designing Panasonic's Leica branded lenses, it was only a matter of time before they came to an agreement about optical firmware correction. :) I think the only lens I've got in that focal length ( for MFT) is the Veydra, and it's the sharpest lens I've tested by them so far. Still got a few days to think it over, it should be on shelves here no later than Wednesday, unless they're behind on the MFT mount. E mount is one hundred times more popular around here. Then again, I really don't think I want to invest in any more AF lenses for video, I rarely use it any more.

Lol, true that, I guess so. Anyways, it's good to know for sure.

Well, there are a bunch of 25 and 35mm lenses with AF in f/1.2-1.8, but 5mm is quite a bit, might make it someone's favourite focal lenght or 'just not quite it'.

-- ah wait, you mean the 16mm, don't you. In that case, yeah, this will have electronic control, is quite a bit brighter and perhaps optically ahead. Of course you'd lose the 'cine primes' advantages (matching with the other Veydras in both optical 'vibe'/color as well as dimensions, having the gears, being all metal and such). But then again, it's also about half price of a Veydra, so... yeah, definitely something to test out, if you're not pursuaded instead by the Leica or Olympus ones mentioned.

• Super Members

I got a review unit of the 7artisan 50mm f1.1 lens.
As a Leica-M mount its of course usable on Sony, Fuji, m4/3 and it covers full frame.

LRM_EXPORT_20171117_143310.thumb.jpg.e2c52a6f6b2c617edd06c72f9cb12d0b.jpg

Is it the sharpest lens out there? Nope. Is it as expensive as f1.2-0.95 usually are? Definitely no.

For video users it might be interesting to know that the aperture has no clicks or steps (personally I would have wanted that).
The focus is super smooth. But also, has a nice throw. A lot of lenses these days have a 2m mark and then infinity. This has a 3, a 5 and an 8m mark. Which is very handy for zone focus as well as making video focus pulls easier.

I have only used it really quickly while I was picking up my lunch. So the the samples leaves a bit to be desired.
They are all from the X-t20 at f1.1 because.. you know.. why not :)

Remember to click the image twice to see how it really looks.

mamiyaf8stor-2.thumb.jpg.cbb816241dcc936f6f36e3b2efed1bf9.jpg

mamiyaf8stor-8.thumb.jpg.919949020e0ef4d76e009cabad6e33c8.jpg

mamiyaf8stor-10.thumb.jpg.572b2e391f9d7d67102e9465c3060526.jpg

15 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Well, I find there's already quite stunning value in both Leica 15mm f/1.7 (compact, option to use aperture ring for manual setting) and Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (tiny, MF de-clutch) already, which are both around that €449 price point as well. Personally I'm not sure if I'd be willing to give up those advantages for the bigger Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN for that slight advantage in light gathering capability... and I'm sure the Sigma will be optically ahead of these two, also because it was meant with APS-C in mind as well, so you're cropping out the 'bad' corners, if there even would be any to speak of, but the Leica renders beautifully and with character and the Olympus is just so damn small and does just fine. So, it's tough. In this range I'd be inclined to pick the Leica. But it will depend on how the Sigma performs. The 30mm f/1.4 DC DN is a bit more of an obvious choice, as there is few 30mm but that are f/2.8-3.5 and otherwise ones that are off that focal length quite a bit and/or can't quite keep up in performance/value.

Been trying to sell my PL15mm since I heard the 16mm will be released. If it is as good as the 30 it will be miles ahead. The 15 is only a bit ahead of the Panny 20mm imo. The build quality and design, aperture ring and size make it a lovely lens to use, but the Sigma should be way ahead for IQ. Just like the 30 is way ahead of the Oly 25mm 1.8, Panny 20mm and PanaLeica 15mm. There is no special rendering that I can see in the 15mm, just a touch more contrast and sharpness. The Sigma 30 is so sharp it "shines".

Those 50mm f1.1 samples look pretty terrible to me (lack of sharpness wide open, ghosting, CA, messy bokeh), like all the lenses from that corner of the world (Meike, plus the no name ones that get rebranded by the likes of Zonlai/ Discover), except the super cheap CCTV toy lenses which are cool. If it had autofocus it would be a diferent matter but trying to manually focus with a 100mm equivalent lens at f1.1 must be a constant struggle and lot of work.

That 50 1.1 actually looks pretty sharp to me at the point of focus (which is not all that deep) but the background looks terrible.

Some 50 1.2/.095 50mm lens are not THAT dear but I am not sure I would want any of the cheaper ones (again).

I loved the Canon FD 50 1.2 L and at some point would not mind another if I could get a cheapish one that was still good.        I think I would only get one with an aspherical element now except for maybe another Pentax 50 1.2 K though the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 has pretty much cured me from wanting any more normal lenses.

The background just looks terrible to me (struggling to put in writing why) I dunno, but it is not smooth.       I have used canon L glass (EF and FD) on APSC and it doesn't like that often to me though depends on the lens.

As to sharpness, well you would be a better judge of the full size shots than me but it does look like I would expect from most fast lenses with a very tiny area that is in focus and sharp and the depth of field in some of those shots looks like it might be around an inch with not much of the image within that inch?

In any case, thanks for posting.

We often hear that this or that lens is too clinical or that lens looks organic; and maybe Sigma's got a reputation for being more in the former camp; but this video demonstrates to me at least that it's about the light, the camera work and the grading; and yeah, I'm kinda liking the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN. But I will say that teal and orange look is sort of wearing thin, and if I wanted to be really picky, I wouldn't have added so much sharpening to a few of the shots. Anyhow, thanks to @mercer for pointing this fellow out.