Lenses

Andrew Reid

Oh, no - not so pricey :) Zeiss Contax Distagon 35mm 2.8 (and its Voigtlander Scoparex clone), Zeiss Contax Distagon 25mm 2.8 and Leica Summicron 35mm f2.

Actually, I like small and precise constructed manual lenses on m43 body. For me it is so lovely to rotate smooth focus ring and be more envolved in shooting process. IMO, autofocusing is so boring and cocacola styled :) (Being VIP-importantly in hurry and get some fast sugar emulsion for keep condition for our choef-d-oeuvre's shots!)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Terry Lee why dont you just keep the speedbooster and buy some old nikkor primes since you already like the 50mm f1.2 ? I find nikkor to have very similar rendering in their lens lineup so I guess you cant lose if you already like the 50. The voigtlanders are good but not sure if they are worth giving up the speedbooster for.

sidenote**

zeiss milvus is overrated unless you want a super clinical look imo. Those lenses are just about the sharpness and contrast

@kidzrevil to @Terry Lee

I'm tending to agree. Nikon ais was my first choice but lately found preAi more interesting.

I think that Voigts are just perfect balance in ratio of rendering/controling imperfections - a bit or two better in that regard than speedboosted glourious classic manual lenses (Contax and Leica R, than Nikon or Takumar).

As a first choice I've choose Leica R's. Very very same as Contaxes, but slightly noble-softer (less modern-punch) in rendering - although result can be easy achieved in grading. And yes, classic Zeisses really could have minuscule 3D effect, but not so obvious. Modern Zeisses are, in fact, similar in picture ideology to Sigma Art's.

@anonim
Ever since i started using nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s last week, i'm no longer happy with the sigma 18-35mm.....
it really bother me. 18-35mm yields very high quality images, but it just doesn't pleases me anymore........  

I thought  i'm gonna settle down with sigma art, but it appear that the quest of finding lenses just begun.

I didn't have any experience with Leica's and Zeiss's, and 50mm 1.2 is my 1st vintage lens.......

@kidzrevil
love the 50mm 1.2. But the speed booster xl i have is in EF mount. i plan to use adapter to adapt the 50mm 1.2 to ef mount.
(the 50mm 1.2 is adapted using zhongyi lens turbo ii now, which is ok....... but could be better with metabones speed booster)

I probably gonna use native mft mount voigtlander 17.5mm/25mm on the other g85. 

@jonpais
1)
CAM A: G85 + Speed Booster XL EF + Sigma 18-35mm & Tokina 11-16mm
CAM B: G85 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo II Nikon Mount + Nikon 50mm 1.2 (Love the 50mm 1.2, plan to use Nikon-EF adapter, and adapt to the Speed Booster XL)

2)
Wedding.
kinda different here in Singapore/Malaysia. Very fast paced, run n gun style. usually have to start at around 4-6am in the morning, and deliver same day edit at 2pm (lunch) or 9pm (dinner)

3)
No monitor. We need to keep the setup as light as possible, but the smallhd focus seems to be portable. wanted to try it out.

@Terry Lee

Frankly, I didn't notice any picture-wise difference between Metabones and RJ mk2 speedbooster - had them both, actually I had just Metabones NikonG-M43 and NikonG-BMPCC with BMPCC,

Actually, RJ Lens Turbo mk2 to me seems even 0.0011 % sharper.

Also, I've omitted Voigt 25mm once I got 17.5. For me it seems better to buy 42.5 as a pair, regarding ETC possibilities of Panasonic cameras.

@anonim yeah I had a set of nikkor ais glass and I sold them for an all pre-ai set. The rendering and 3D separation are far superior to modern goass because of the lack of optical & no digital correction built into them. A lot of the pre ai lenses are low element count and SHARP stopped down they clean up nice. They are even sharper & contrastier on a speedbooster ultra. I prefer the look & feel to all the other lenses I’ve own and I’ve used everything from zeiss,contax zeiss,canon fd,sigma & voigtlander. Voigtlander is a close second imo

@kidzrevil

I think I know that nice feeling of testing artistically flagrance of lenses :)  So damn close to magic scent of women.

Just one add to your marvelous Don Juan list - I thought: how I will hate and despise these snobish Leica dolly-ladies once I vivisect them... but, but... they really could go deep under the skin, into the blood and mind, these soft as silk, but devilish hypnotic Leica-sort girls!

Not so much expensive for once-to-a-life unforgettable pleasure-grief dating, I dare to state... Of course, just R (i. e. fire-ones, censured-ones :) version are accounted: I got 35mm and 50mm Summicron for 250e and 200e respectively, even 28mm 2.8 could be find for about 400e. Even 28-70 zooms are just of the same silksexy touch for about 300e.

I have been picking up some Leica R primes over this past year too, and have been impressed how cheap you can snag them if you're patient.

I have ended up with the 35/2.8, 50/2, 90/2.8, and 135/2.8 and haven't paid more than $260 for any one of them.

Still not exactly cheap, but not terribly above where contax zeiss prices these days either.

yeah man! Just looked up my order receipts.

The most I paid was $268 for the 90/2.8

I got them on KEH, which the prices are normally good, but if you wait, every month or two they'll do a 15% off or so sale, which really helps on the leicas.

I've also bought they cheapest ones you can really get, which means they have odd filter thread sizes because they're mainly series 6 and 7 filters.

I was able to find step up rings for all of them though, and have gotten out of it pretty cheap and really really like them so far.

They're built like tanks, they're hefty and heavy as hell and all metal, but god damn they're smooth and look great.

I'll get some footage together this weekend and post it early next week

On 10/11/2017 at 9:40 AM, Terry Lee said:

I'm in a dilemma and need opinions here........ I'm thinking of replacing my Sigma 18-35mm + speed booster XL with Voigtlander 17.5mm & 25mm.....

I find the Sigma 18-35mm very "digital", cold and lifeless........... While my nikkor 50mm 1.2 produces pleasing and organic images to me......

BTW, I first found @jonpais video on youtube, which lead me to this forum. And also got introduced to leeming lut through his youtube video. 

i will buy the sigma and speedbooster off you...

I am having the same issue...I have the lumix 12-35 f2.8, lumix 42.5 1.7 and lumix 25. 1.7 Obviously all great lenses, autofocus, stabilisation blah blah blah and pretty much all focal ranges covered but the image is very clinical...

I was actually looking at going towards the sigma 18-35 1.8 speedbooster route to get a more organic image, and as importantly get more light into that gh5!

looking to sell all three lenses...what would peoples recommendations be to replace? Run and gun shooter, also does weddings..need at least coverage from 12 - 35 and at least 1.4 aperture throughout..

On 11/10/2017 at 10:42 PM, anonim said:

@Terry Lee

Frankly, I didn't notice any picture-wise difference between Metabones and RJ mk2 speedbooster - had them both, actually I had just Metabones NikonG-M43 and NikonG-BMPCC with BMPCC,

Actually, RJ Lens Turbo mk2 to me seems even 0.0011 % sharper.

Also, I've omitted Voigt 25mm once I got 17.5. For me it seems better to buy 42.5 as a pair, regarding ETC possibilities of Panasonic cameras.

@anonim
Lens Turbo II suffers from light leaks & flares, especially in back-lighting scene. The images will become washed out.

I've ordered some self-adhesive flock fabric, to stick it in the lens turbo II. Hope it will solve the light leak and flare issue.

I notice my Sigma MC-11 have flock fabric internal, so decided to mod the lens turbo to have such flock fabric.

-----------
The following 2 videos are taken with [ Lens Turbo II + Nikon 16-35mm f/4, Nikon 50mm 1.4G ] and Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7

Thank GOD that the washed out image is still sharp after bring the contrast back in post. But still the panny 42.5mm f/1.7 images have noticeably better contrast and sharpness 

My speed booster wasn't with me back then, as i shipped it back to metabones to replace the mounting parts.......................... After service, the metabones speed booster still have loose fit issues, still have some free play.....

TB2ojekdMRkpuFjy1zeXXc.6FXa_!!1814009761.jpg

On 11/13/2017 at 5:34 PM, lmackreath said:

i will buy the sigma and speedbooster off you...

I am having the same issue...I have the lumix 12-35 f2.8, lumix 42.5 1.7 and lumix 25. 1.7 Obviously all great lenses, autofocus, stabilisation blah blah blah and pretty much all focal ranges covered but the image is very clinical...

I was actually looking at going towards the sigma 18-35 1.8 speedbooster route to get a more organic image, and as importantly get more light into that gh5!

looking to sell all three lenses...what would peoples recommendations be to replace? Run and gun shooter, also does weddings..need at least coverage from 12 - 35 and at least 1.4 aperture throughout..

Getting used 17.5mm and 25mm mk1 on this coming Saturday. Going to try out the lenses, then only decide whether to ditch 18-35 or not.

Panny 42.5mm 1.7 is surprisingly good. I got a used one cheap, and didn't expect that i would use it that much...... but the focus by wire really driving me nut

@Terry Lee

Don't know - at the moment I use Lens Turbo with two Zeiss Distagons. Even at largest aperture I have to use some sort of lowering contrast intervention in post - these lenses are so punchy, but no at digital way. Also, any special flare issue I didn't see in compare with Metabones.

Panny 42.5 1.7 is really very capable lens for the price and size - I've already suggest to imacreath not to sell that one, neither 15mm 1.7.

But all native autofocusing lenses for me have too obvious videoish effect - what we simply call sharpness, is in fact panasonic intensive internal software base work. For wedding it may just work. So I'm very interested for kidzerecil usage of Tiffen Mist and Sattin fillters...

BTW your samples are indeed very (over)contrasted and (over)saturated for my humble taste. But perhaps it has to be such for accentuating special purpose as wedding is... or is supposed to be.