Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, jonpais said:

First sample footage, Veydra Mini Prime 85mm T2.2. Image quality has been compromised as no matte box was used.

Music by Eric Matyas.

www.soundimage.org

Looking nice Jon... unsure if a matte box would have made that much of a difference. If you get a few minutes can you do a side by side between the G85 and the GH5 with a Veydra lens? And if you’re feeling really generous, I would love to see a side by side of the external ProRes on the G85 vs the internal GH5 video.

Thanks, @mercer. At Alan Photo in Singapore, where I shot my first clips with the Veydra, a matte box and flags would have helped increase contrast and color. For the rest, the difference might have been smaller. For the shots at the post office, I used the new IS Lock, which was a mistake on my part as well. Live and learn. According to what I've heard, it's just supposed to work with IS lenses, but it still definitely behaved differently (ie, badly) with the Veydra. BMD VA ProRes vs GH5 1080p?

16 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, @mercer. At Alan Photo in Singapore, where I shot my first clips with the Veydra, a matte box and flags would have helped increase contrast and color. For the rest, the difference might have been smaller. For the shots at the post office, I used the new IS Lock, which was a mistake on my part as well. Live and learn. According to what I've heard, it's just supposed to work with IS lenses, but it still definitely behaved differently (ie, badly) with the Veydra. BMD VA ProRes vs GH5 1080p?

Gotcha. If you’re worried about the contrast, I’m sure a simple hood would be plenty good enough. 

I did notice some sway in the shots, good to know that was due to the IS lock setting. 

And yeah, external ProRes vs internal 200mbps 10bit 1080 would be awesome. As hard as I’ve been on the GH5, obviously I have a brain, so I am intrigued.

I also think with your pairing of the Video Assist with the GH5 for Focus reasons, it may really behoove you to export to ProRes anyway. I guess the next question would be... export 4K to ProRes, or just the good old fashioned 1080p? I wonder how much of a quality difference there would be?

9 hours ago, cantsin said:

You might be confused by the expression "Leica glass". In the world of cinematographers, "glass" is metaphorical-colloquial jargon for lenses.

Yeah, I understand glass is jargon for lenses but I guess my confusion lies with phrases like the “Leica Look” and since their lenses are revered like Zeiss lenses are and since Zeiss makes their own glass, or made their own glass, I assumed that the Leica look was attributed to their own glass. It seems some of the higher end manufacturers use Schott Glass now and Schott may use some of the recipes that the client, in this case Leica, used to use.

Interesting.