Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's a wonderful beast, you can just tell from the shear amount of glass compared to some of the other Veydras.

ears65D.jpg

It's the same vibe you get when you see the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 in person and that one doesn't disappoint either.

@ Rinad Amir: nice trio... or well, quattro! How are you finding the 12-60mm? Haven't found any time to play around with it yet, want to see if it actually blows the Lumix one out of the water or if I should sell it off... definitely keeping my eyes open for a bargain 42.5mm f/1.2, I do love the new style primes!

11 hours ago, Cinegain said:

That's a wonderful beast, you can just tell from the shear amount of glass compared to some of the other Veydras.

ears65D.jpg

It's the same vibe you get when you see the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 in person and that one doesn't disappoint either.

@ Rinad Amir: nice trio... or well, quattro! How are you finding the 12-60mm? Haven't found any time to play around with it yet, want to see if it actually blows the Lumix one out of the water or if I should sell it off... definitely keeping my eyes open for a bargain 42.5mm f/1.2, I do love the new style primes!

Thanks @Cinegain you wont regret for sec i promisse you its razer sharp plus has ibis its light also and best lens for me! to run&gun (5axis) tho ND is a must ?In day time and in lowlight u u wont go above 800iso with it if thats makes sense? I also had 18-35(utra) and if had to choose between them two it would defiantly be Leica 12-60.

I've read that. Could well be. I'd rather have them bring 'em out themselves at 800 pops or less, rather than in the 1000+ segment. :grin: But oh well.

How do you find the character compared to the 'regular' Leica primes? Because the Leica prime-look kinda makes me think of painting-like, artsy, warm rendering... whereas both Sigma and Olympus PRO are more cold and precise tools with excellent sharpness, but otherwise not very lively.

@Cinegain I've said many times before, I wish Panasonic had partnered with Sigma rather than the esteemed German company - we'd have excellent optics at a much lower price. But now, it looks like they're having their cake and eating it, too. At least the 12mm is assembled in Japan, and not in China, Thailand or Vietnam! I have to agree, however, the look of the Leicas is extraordinary, and not only when compared to other m4/3 lenses... Then again, if Sigma really did design what is unquestionably one of the very finest lenses in the micro four thirds lineup... 

Readers might be interested in my brief email exchange with a shop in Singapore, where I'll be flying tomorrow to pick up the Veydra 85mm T2.2. I wrote them, and a fellow named Dennis emails me, saying they carry the Veydras, but he'll have to check stock to see if they've got the 85mm. It's taking too long, so I call the shop directly and speak with a guy named Gary, who informs me they've got the lens, so I go ahead and book a flight for Monday morning. The following day, I get an email from Dennis, telling me they've only got the 25mm, 35mm and 50mm. I just write him back, saying no worries, a salesman is holding the lens for me and I'll be picking it up the following week. What the heck!

On 9/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, darrellcraig said:

Companies buy lens designs all the time. I think Sigma designed the Olympus 8 Pro Fisheye, the 25/1.8 and 25/1.2 and 75/1.8, Tamron designed (and maybe even built, if I recall correctly) the Zeiss Batis 25 and 85... Leica licensed some Minolta designs (35-70 zoom) back in the day, etc.

But this is not exactly the same. Panasonic is passing off lenses like the 12mm as designed by Leica for Panasonic. That is, if the lens was in fact designed by Sigma. 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

But this is not exactly the same. Panasonic is passing off lenses like the 12mm as designed by Leica for Panasonic. That is, if the lens was in fact designed by Sigma. 

I think Panasonic has detailed the relationship in various interviews... If I recall correctly, the lenses are designed and built by Panasonic (or some licensor like Sigma), but they are reviewed by Leica through product development and approved by Leica before commercialization. It is basically a licensing agreement with some oversight by Leica to ensure their brand isn't diluted by Panasonic. Really just a marketing move by Panasonic to differentiate their premium brand requiring royalties to Leica and a dash of Leica engineering input to give it credibility and maybe some actual improvement in the lenses over what Panasonic engineering could do solo.

Goes both ways... the Leica Q feels like a Panasonic camera, so they probably had a bunch of input and further, I'd guess they designed and built much of it. It makes me wish Panasonic would build a FF camera... a FF GH5 with a short flange lens mount would be awesome.

All these Leica, Zeiss, Schneider, etc. branded mobile camera lens modules are probably the same kind of marketing / licensing arrangements.

The PanaLeica 15mm isn't too expensive considering it is an above average quality prime. The design is lovely. I haven't really appreciated a lens design before this, so I think whoever made it at least had Leica in mind. I love having the aperture ring. Lost the Leica cap yesterday in a taxi. Maybe I will look for a Sigma one to replace it  :blush:

59 minutes ago, Mat Mayer said:

The PanaLeica 15mm isn't too expensive considering it is an above average quality prime. The design is lovely. I haven't really appreciated a lens design before this, so I think whoever made it at least had Leica in mind. I love having the aperture ring. Lost the Leica cap yesterday in a taxi. Maybe I will look for a Sigma one to replace it  :blush:

Having that 1.7 apature is so nice i swear And its tiny light i cannot stress enough how this lens saved me from going above 800iso