Lenses

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Behind the scenes footage I put together for my latest client. Shot w/ Nikkor Auto 50mm f2 , metabones speedbooster xl & tiffen satin filter

Hey Kidz, nice looking footage as always! You wrote that you prefer black satin over black pro mist because it flares a lot. What would be the "equivalent" black satin of the black pro mist 1/8? Satin 1?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Bizz said:

Hey Kidz, nice looking footage as always! You wrote that you prefer black satin over black pro mist because it flares a lot. What would be the "equivalent" black satin of the black pro mist 1/8? Satin 1?

The black satins don't increase in flare as you go up in grades the resolution reducing element just gets more intense. A good neutral look like the bpm 1/8 would roughly be around the 1 & 2 grades of black satin. Good luck getting your hands on one though tiffen is always out of stock

3 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I might have to get one of those satin filters.

I love them. They help eliminate some of the artifacts that come with the in camera sharpening algorithim

13 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

The black satins don't increase in flare as you go up in grades the resolution reducing element just gets more intense. A good neutral look like the bpm 1/8 would roughly be around the 1 & 2 grades of black satin. Good luck getting your hands on one though tiffen is always out of stock

I love them. They help eliminate some of the artifacts that come with the in camera sharpening algorithim

Yeah, i know. Its impossible to find it here in Portugal! On amazon is out of stock. I found a store on the UK but they dont send it to Portugal and another one that wants 40£ for shipping :dizzy: I found Warm Pro Mist 1/4 on ebay (30€) but i dont know if thats what im looking for (i base my opinion on the example video from tiffen). I guess that one is very different from the BPM 1/8. :confused:

And the second one is a simple Rec709 conversion and some basic exposure/saturation adjustments...

Canon 35mm f:2 Test - Footage App - Rec709 Two.jpg

Does anyone know why EOS HD's file upload system sometimes darkens the image? With the above screengrabs, the images are similar to how they look in FCPX, but there is definitely some darker hues when uploaded here. 

19 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Bizz 1/8 & 1/4 warm black pro mist are amazing for skin tones. It even fixes the skin tones on sony & panasonic cameras. Throw them on a contrasty lens and the look is incredible ! I honestly wouldn't wait up on the black satins if I had the opportunity to use the wbpm

But its not wbpm...its just Warm Pro Mist 1/4 :confused:

53 minutes ago, mercer said:

And the second one is a simple Rec709 conversion and some basic exposure/saturation adjustments...

Canon 35mm f:2 Test - Footage App - Rec709 Two.jpg

Does anyone know why EOS HD's file upload system sometimes darkens the image? With the above screengrabs, the images are similar to how they look in FCPX, but there is definitely some darker hues when uploaded here. 

Not sure, sure does somewhat dark though. I'd always host at http://imgur.com . Got your albums etc managed and you're not putting load on Andrew's hosting server.

6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Not sure, sure does somewhat dark though. I'd always host at http://imgur.com . Got your albums etc managed and you're not putting load on Andrew's hosting server.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. The first one is "pretty" accurate to what I exported to my desktop, but the Rec709 is at least a whole stop darker. I'll look into Imgur... thanks. 

@Matt Kieley I never ever stack filters ! I would recommend you avoid mixing diffusion by stacking filters. I prefer the warm black pro mist in lighter grades (1/4 & 1/8) for my personal work because I don't mind the highlight blooming. I only use the satin and black satin filters when I want a more "invisible" unobtrusive look to the diffusion. 

Hey everyone, new here but I've read through several posts and I'm learning a lot!  I just got my GH5 and want to pick up a few lenses.  I am just so indecisive and would love some advice from the great community here.  I plan on using the GH5 99% for video, in a combination of travel videos (both cinematic and sometimes vlogging), real estate films, weddings, and short films.  I like the idea of starting out with 3 lenses and would love one of them to be an UWA for real estate and establishing shots like the PL 8-18, Tokina 11-16, Laowa 7.5, or Voigtlander 10.5. The next lens I'd love to have would be the main work-horse, the one that I'd use most of the time and preferably a zoom even if small like the 12-35, PL 12-60, or Sigma 18-35.  And lastly, I'm open to either a portrait-type prime like the PL 42.5 1.2 or more of a zoom like the 35-100 or even higher.  That last category is wide open for options, just looking for lenses you guys think are must haves for yourselves and would love to hear why!

Having such a tough time deciding between a lens like the 12-35 or 12-60... and the Sigma 18-35.  Dual IS and smaller that could fit on my Zhiyun Crane... or 1.2 constant aperture in the Sigma with metabones but just bigger.  Would it make any sense even to get both?

Pretend price isn't an option, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks.

So after all the discussions here and always seeing Kidzrevil's stuff on social media, I'll give the diffusion filters a try. Got a Warm Black Pro Mist 1/8 off eBay for 28€ incl shipping. Should arrive today and I'll give it a spin on the weekend. Wish I had thought of getting a step-up adapter already to use it on the Voigtländer, for now I'll try with the Olympus 12-40 2.8.

In unrelated note, we have now bought way more native m4/3 lenses than I wanted. My girlfriend hogs all the lenses I like but the 17.5mm 0.95 (she doesn't dig the manual focus). We now have the Panasonic 14mm 2.5, 25mm 1.4 and 42.5mm 1.7 and especially with the GX80 the size of the system is really neat.