Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

That looks pretty darn epic @kidzrevil!

Me on the other hand is at home celebrating midsummer instead of shooting the streets.
But I did adjust one of my Minolta lenses that had trouble reaching infinity, and thought it could be nice to document incase others get the same issue in the future.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

That looks pretty darn epic @kidzrevil!

Me on the other hand is at home celebrating midsummer instead of shooting the streets.
But I did adjust one of my Minolta lenses that had trouble reaching infinity, and thought it could be nice to document incase others get the same issue in the future.

Just spent the last 30 min (or more) in your channel, Mattias! Just really really great videos! Thank you!!

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Does anyone have any experience with the nikon/canon mount voigtlanders ? Namely the 28mm f2.8 color skopar, 40mm f2 ultron and 58mm f1.4 nokton ? Im really considering picking them up over my nikkors because they are tiny and manual focus

Ahem.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT17maSgc0E

Love them. I've had other posts in this thread with them as well.

Shot with 20mm, 28mm, 40mm, 90mm

20mm 3.5 only:

58mm: 

40mm:

7 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Does anyone have any experience with the nikon/canon mount voigtlanders ? Namely the 28mm f2.8 color skopar, 40mm f2 ultron and 58mm f1.4 nokton ? Im really considering picking them up over my nikkors because they are tiny and manual focus

Gorgeous rendering. Razor sharp, too. The 58 can come across a little harsher on detail than the rest of the set, and has edgier bokeh, but it's still solid and an important focal length to have.

15 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@TheRenaissanceMan I love the rendering of them judging from @Geoff CB videos. The 40mm f2 caught my eye the most out of the set

The 40mm is my favorite of the lot, 28mm a close second. Others come close, but the 58mm renders differently. Don't underestimate the 90 3.5 and 20mm 3.5, don't have a large aperture, but they have a ton of separation and great rendering. Best thing about these is you can get all of them for around $500 or less each.

On 27/06/2017 at 3:43 PM, kidzrevil said:

I have the 58 and 28. They are really nice. The MFT Voigtlanders are even better.

17 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

I have the 58 and 28. They are really nice. The MFT Voigtlanders are even better.

I've bought the 17.5mm after considering getting a Metabones SpeedBooster and some fast adapted lens and can only say I'm happy I decided this way. It's a great lens, both from a mechanical as well as an imaging standpoint. The downside? I now really lust to have the others!

Guys, I need your advice for yet another "guess the focal length" session:

For sure the first 30sec are GoPro or equiv. But after that...? I really like this immersive feeling and would like to adopt such a thing.

23 hours ago, jase said:

Guys, I need your advice for yet another "guess the focal length" session:

For sure the first 30sec are GoPro or equiv. But after that...? I really like this immersive feeling and would like to adopt such a thing.

I would wager that it's a 50mm. Doesn't look wide enough to be 35mm, doubt they would handhold/rig anything over 50mm. Could be a 40mm pancake also...?

While I'm here, are there any native Sony lens users out there?

I'm looking for some full frame options and would really appreciate feedback from folks on here if they had a favourite native lens. I love the character of vintage, but after doing event coverage last week, I'd really like the option of using some versatile zooms or solid, easy to use native primes. I have my eye on the 28mm because it's cheap, but I can't help but think that's an awkward focal length on full frame. The 35mm Sony is, from what I can see, way overpriced for an f2.8. As is the 55mm Zeiss, while the cheap Sony 50mm got awful reviews for it's AF. The only lens that might tempt me is the Sony 85mm f1.8, but I rarely do portraits.

I wish Sigma would hurry up with their native E-Mount ART lenses.

15 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I would wager that it's a 50mm. Doesn't look wide enough to be 35mm, doubt they would handhold/rig anything over 50mm. Could be a 40mm pancake also...?

Really? I would doubt that. take this shot for example:

59635320c6b5a_Bildschirmfoto2017-07-10um12_09_54.thumb.png.212f867ba78e49a8c300c827c357e5d8.png

I tried to to that with my GX80 and the Pana 15mm and put the camera close to my chest and I did not get a similar FOV. My guess is that this is more sth like a 24mm (FF equiv), but I am not sure...

Just now, jase said:

Really? I would doubt that. take this shot for example:

59635320c6b5a_Bildschirmfoto2017-07-10um12_09_54.thumb.png.212f867ba78e49a8c300c827c357e5d8.png

I tried to to that with my GX80 and the Pana 15mm and put the camera close to my chest and I did not get a similar FOV. My guess is that this is more sth like a 24mm (FF equiv), but I am not sure...

I'm used to full frame, and I'd have guessed 50mm. Maybe I'm wrong, but certainly not as wide as a 24mm. I'll give it a go later when I have my camera and 24-105 at hand.

7 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

While I'm here, are there any native Sony lens users out there?

I'm looking for some full frame options and would really appreciate feedback from folks on here if they had a favourite native lens. I love the character of vintage, but after doing event coverage last week, I'd really like the option of using some versatile zooms or solid, easy to use native primes. I have my eye on the 28mm because it's cheap, but I can't help but think that's an awkward focal length on full frame. The 35mm Sony is, from what I can see, way overpriced for an f2.8. As is the 55mm Zeiss, while the cheap Sony 50mm got awful reviews for it's AF. The only lens that might tempt me is the Sony 85mm f1.8, but I rarely do portraits.

I wish Sigma would hurry up with their native E-Mount ART lenses.

Personally, the 55 1.8 is the lens for me.       It can be found a LOT less than its list price (I paid a lot less even fairly early on) but to me it is worth every cent and has spoilt my lust for older 50-58mm normal lenses (I have had a lot and still have a few that no longer get a look in unless used on my M43 camera).

What about the Samyang 50 1.4 AF FE mount lens if price is an issue?

Also, the 28-70 FE kit lens is a nice enough handy lens (at least on the lower pixel count cameras) and for me, my native E mount lenses are the 55 and 28-70 and will soon add the 85 1.8 and that will do until I add another next year (maybe) with adapted lenses for the rest.