Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For anyone who's got $900.00 burning a hole in their pocket :) I've got another, more in-depth field test of the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, my very favorite u4/3 lens, coming this evening.

Edit: Looks like I've got to do some more shooting. Hopefully, tomorrow evening.

Did some more testing of the Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.9 on the bmpcc. Daytime is f/2.8, Nighttime is f/1.9. I'm really impressed with this lens. You can see the video in the shooting section.

cosmicar12.5f1.9_11.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_12.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_14.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_15.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_16.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_17.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_18.jpg

I love this lens. I don't even really see a point in keeping my Rokinon 12mm, though it's still a fantastic lens, probably slightly sharper, but this has more character. Not bad for an old lens bought for $55. I got excited about c-mount lenses again so I ordered a couple of Kern-Paillard Bolex lenses. I can't wait to do more testing and see how the Cosmicar performs from f/4-8.

I got a Kern-Paillard Pizar 26mm f/1.9 c-mount lens today (and a Kern-Paillard Yvar 16mm f/2.8 on the way):

pizar2.jpg

Closest focus. f/1.9

pizar3.jpg

f/1.9

pizar4.jpg

f/2.8

pizar5.jpg

f/1.9

pizar6.jpg

f/1.9

pizar7.jpg

f/1.9

It's nice and sharp (at least to my personal taste of sharpness). I love it. I probably won't use this focal length that much (I prefer wide angle lenses) but it was only $40.

And here's some bonus Cosmicar 12.5mm. I think this thing really is my new favorite lens:

cosmicar12.5f1.9_19.jpg

Closest focus. I think this was f/2.8

hoyasplitdiopter49mmcosmicar.jpg

Some split diopter fun.

cosmicar12.5f1.9_20.jpg

I believe this was f/2.8 as well.

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

Voigtländer has announced three lenses with Sony E mount at CP+.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cosina-voigtlander-announces-three-new-e-mount-lenses/

I think both the 40mm f/1.2 as well as the 60mm Macro sound very interesting.

Indeed, very very nice - especially the 40mm one. A bit bigger than the ultron 40mm for canon/nikon but without the need of an adapter. Yet, I am still having a wet dream about using Voigtländer M Mount lenses with this Tecchart Autofocus Adapter... But then I would need a A7Rii and i went down the Sony path twice and came back punished by flawed color.

So many in the comments over at 43rumors complaining about the weight, the design, or the fact that the Voigtlanders aren't AF. They just don't get it, do they? it's a miracle that they even make lenses of this craftsmanship in this day and age. But maybe they prefer their plastic Canikons...

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

So many in the comments over at 43rumors complaining about the weight, the design, or the fact that the Voigtlanders aren't AF. They just don't get it, do they? it's a miracle that they even make lenses of this craftsmanship in this day and age. But maybe they prefer their plastic Canikons...

It's a question of perspectives. When I was into photography I wanted great AF (which is easier with fly-by-wire because it's not directly coupled) and how lenses manually focus was of no importance, when you do video it's kinda 50/50. The same thing with image. 90% of people who lust over camera gear want perfectly clinical, tack sharp, 0 distortion / flaring lenses, the amount of people who look for lenses with character is way, way smaller.

Also I think people who are into videography have a higher tolerance towards weight, because if you shoot with a hybrid you usually rig it out or shoot from a monopod/tripod anyway. For photography, all you really need is a camera, lenses and MAYBE a tripod. With current DR on sensors, you don't even need graduated ND filters anymore for landscapes (I actually like to use them though).

19 minutes ago, Phil A said:

It's a question of perspectives. When I was into photography I wanted great AF (which is easier with fly-by-wire because it's not directly coupled) and how lenses manually focus was of no importance, when you do video it's kinda 50/50. The same thing with image. 90% of people who lust over camera gear want perfectly clinical, tack sharp, 0 distortion / flaring lenses, the amount of people who look for lenses with character is way, way smaller.

Also I think people who are into videography have a higher tolerance towards weight, because if you shoot with a hybrid you usually rig it out or shoot from a monopod/tripod anyway. For photography, all you really need is a camera, lenses and MAYBE a tripod. With current DR on sensors, you don't even need graduated ND filters anymore for landscapes (I actually like to use them though).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they want that quality for free!

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Although a Voigtländer with AF would be.. nuts.

Incidentally, when purchasing the Fuji 35mm f/2 a while back, the shop didn't have any 43mm Hoya Pro1 UV filters, which I usually get, so I took one of Hoya's new-ish Fusion filters instead. I have to clean my filters at least once a day after or while shooting, it's so filthy here in Ho Chi Minh City; it usually takes several minutes to do, and it often seems like I'm just smearing the grease and dirt around. Fingerprints and grease clean off immediately with the Fusion, so I'm actually considering replacing all of my filters with the Fusion ones.

13 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I am stuck on the tiffen satin and black satin filters. The diffusion looks perfect with my panasonic body

I used to use a set of Tiffen ND filters, they accumulated some kind of sludge or something even while being stored away in my dry cabinet, and they were a bitch to clean. Are the satin filters any better?

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

I used to use a set of Tiffen ND filters, they accumulated some kind of sludge or something even while being stored away in my dry cabinet, and they were a bitch to clean. Are the satin filters any better?

the glass on the satin feels better maybe because its a newer model. It works wonders to alleviate the in camera sharpening you hate