Lenses

Andrew Reid

I mean, the Leica does have the more close-up shots, whereas the Sigma is shot quite a bit more wide, so the Leica automagically renders a bit more shallow depth of field. But even then... it's like warm VS cold. Personal VS impersonal. Emotion VS apathetic. The only scene from the Sigma that really worked quite well for it, was at 0:29 . The way the Leica layers the gentleman at 0:59 out from the background is superb.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I mean, the Leica does have the more close-up shots, whereas the Sigma is shot quite a bit more wide, so the Leica automagically renders a bit more shallow depth of field. But even then... it's like warm VS cold. Personal VS impersonal. Emotion VS apathetic.

Yeah, the Leica does allow you to get a little tighter as well, which suits the way I shoot. Kind of a strange project I set myself - this whole week leading up to the Tet holiday, thousands of beautiful women all dressed up in ao dai converge on this street, thousands of photographers are shoulder-to-shoulder grabbing beauty shots, and here I am, walking up and down the road shooting motorists. I need to get my head examined!

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Yeah, the Leica does allow you to get a little tighter as well, which suits the way I shoot. Kind of a strange project I set myself - this whole week leading up to the Tet holiday, thousands of beautiful women all dressed up in ao dai flood this street, thousands of photographers are shoulder-to-shoulder grabbing beauty shots, and here I am, walking up and down the road shooting motorists. I need to get my head examined!

Like you said, everyone's doing beauty shoots already. :grin: Less beautiful doesn't mean less interesting, au contraire even perhaps. It's what separates the artist from the obvious. So good on you!

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Well, here's round 2 of the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 vs Leica Nocticron comparison. I think it's a hands-down for one of them. What do you think?

Music by Eric Matyas

www.soundimage.org

Too close to call it ! I personally HATE focus by wire lenses so I would go with the sigma.  I just bought a lumix pancake and the focus by wire mechanisms are just ugh..

9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I mean, the Leica does have the more close-up shots, whereas the Sigma is shot quite a bit more wide, so the Leica automagically renders a bit more shallow depth of field. But even then... it's like warm VS cold. Personal VS impersonal. Emotion VS apathetic. The only scene from the Sigma that really worked quite well for it, was at 0:29 . The way the Leica layers the gentleman at 0:59 out from the background is superb.

This brings up another question:  it is widely accepted that focal reducers magically impart a cinematic look to otherwise mundane looking u4/3 footage, '4K Super 35!' I'm beginning to seriously doubt that, along with the gospel that it's always preferable to shoot log. 

On 1/14/2017 at 9:34 AM, mercer said:

Looks cool. Those Holga lenses always intrigued me. How does it look in 16:9 or 2:35?

On 1/14/2017 at 1:37 PM, kidzrevil said:

@Matt Kieley that looks hella cool man, love this look

Thanks guys. I haven't tried scope, but it basically covers the sensor of the pocket. The corners are maybe dark, I'd have to check the footage again, but that's supposed to be part of the charm of the lens.

This week I received a Fujinon TV Z C6X18 18-108mm f/2.5 c-mount zoom lens, and I love it. It covers the bmpcc sensor, looks good at /4 (it's soft, with purple fringing wide open), it's super smooth, parfocal, and a lot of fun. I've always loved the zoom-in/out as a stylistic/emotional effect (think The Graduate and The Shining) so I'm excited to put it to use. Last year I had a Canon V6X17, but I prefer the Fujinon aesthetically (particularly the bokeh). It feels well-built too. It's made of metal yet still light (lighter than the Canon). It's about the length of my Rokinon 24mm, but smaller around than my Panasonic 14-42mm 3.5-5.6. I got a pristine copy from ebay for $50. I'll post footage soon.

On 1/21/2017 at 8:45 AM, jonpais said:

hmmm... another test perhaps? ?

After trying the Nokton out several times, first on the GH4, and now on the G85, I've concluded a) that I prefer long focal lengths to short; and b) that it really is difficult to get crisp images at between f/2 and f/2.8, no matter how hard I try. If I were back in the States, I'd be selling this lens. As it is, I'm stuck in a third world country where Westerners have plenty of money for alcohol and drugs, and nothing for camera gear. So I guess I'll be holding onto it for a while.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, jonpais said:

After trying the Nokton out several times, first on the GH4, and now on the G85, I've concluded a) that I prefer long focal lengths to short; and b) that it really is difficult to get crisp images at between f/2 and f/2.8, no matter how hard I try. If I were back in the States, I'd be selling this lens. As it is, I'm stuck in a third world country where Westerners have plenty of money for alcohol and drugs, and nothing for camera gear. So I guess I'll be holding onto it for a while.

Thanks!

One reason I am not fond of cameras that are bad at low light. Have to shoot wide open a lot ,and good luck with keeping things in focus. Now snap focus on a tripod well maybe, but that is a small part of a movie overall.

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

One reason I am not fond of cameras that are bad at low light. Have to shoot wide open a lot ,and good luck with keeping things in focus. Now snap focus on a tripod well maybe, but that is a small part of a movie overall.

The thing is, I've shot up close with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 wide open with the GH4; I've shot a bit with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Nocticron at from between f/2 and f/2.8, in fact, I've done it a lot; and those lenses have shallower depth of field than the Nokton 17.5; I always focus manually, using focus assist (magnification 3X) along with focus peaking: and I've hardly ever missed a shot. The Nokton should be more forgiving, as it's a wide angle lens, with considerably more depth of field. Others have had more success than I have, maybe it's just not for me. As a matter of fact, when stopped down to around f/2.8 or so, the Noktons can achieve record-breaking resolution, so not sure what's going on here really.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Looks so cool, man! Do you edit with Premiere and color with the Lumetri Panel?

thanks dude ! I edited it with premiere and lumetri, I used the visioncolor cined luts ! 

On 1/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, jonpais said:

@kidzrevil I've often heard people recommending the Nikkor AIS lenses and cheap Chinese adapters on MFT. They're full frame film lenses, correct?

the nikkor ais are full frame lenses and look beautiful with the speedbooster xl. In stills its the sweet spot between super 35 and full frame I love it