Lenses

Andrew Reid

9 hours ago, mercer said:

That's right you shoot FF... hmm that's a tough one.

Yeah definitely limits my options.

8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Sets that are ~$1200, or just for the single wide angle?

Single wide but whole set would be nice :) , trying to build up a set to complement my voigtlanders. Currently I'm just running with them and a Tokina 28-70. I threw the Rokinon on for 5 minutes and am just not impressed, not enough to build up a set of them, as I would always turn to my voigts first.

Couple options for me next:
- Olympus OM /Minolta set
- Canon 28-70 2.8 & 80-200  Like the look, but so many people shoot with these.
- Nikon 20-35D and 80-200D  I've had both and they are built like tanks, the 20-35 actually has very nice "pop"
- Macro-Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm F/4.0 - Because it seems reasonable priced, well sized, with an incredible look.

Had some Canon FD primes, nice look but overall it wasn't for me. Also had Nikon Primes, but to me they were to similar to my voigtlanders.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah definitely limits my options.

Single wide but whole set would be nice :) , trying to build up a set to complement my voigtlanders. Currently I'm just running with them and a Tokina 28-70. I threw the Rokinon on for 5 minutes and am just not impressed, not enough to build up a set of them, as I would always turn to my voigts first.

Couple options for me next:
- Olympus OM /Minolta set
- Canon 28-70 2.8 & 80-200  Like the look, but so many people shoot with these.
- Nikon 20-35D and 80-200D  I've had both and they are built like tanks, the 20-35 actually has very nice "pop"
- Macro-Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm F/4.0 - Because it seems reasonable priced, well sized, with an incredible look.

Had some Canon FD primes, nice look but overall it wasn't for me. Also had Nikon Primes, but to me they were to similar to my voigtlanders.

I'm not at your level, and I only have 3 lenses, 100-300 pana, and 2 Minoltas, 28mm, and 50mm. I use the Minoltas mainly for stills because I find focusing with them very challenging with video, as they have such a short focus throw. They were about $50 each and I just love the look of them. 

On 7.1.2017 at 4:48 AM, mercer said:

Fredrik, that is perfect and it looks great! Thanks, man!!! I watched the handheld one first and thought... yeah that's perfectly usable and then the FCPX stabilized version is as if it was shot on a tripod. It looks like I'll definitely be able to go handheld. And yeah, it's my first camera of '17. Now I just need to pick up the Pocket cam next month and I'll be done!!! Hopefully. Lol. 

No problem, happy to do it. Be sure to watch it closely as there is definitely som small shakes without post stabilization. Looks much better after post though, similar the BIS on the GX85 I think. Looking forward to your test with the GH4!

I got the Rokinon 12mm cine lens for my bmpcc, and I love it so far. These were all shot wide open, and I was surprised by how sharp it is. Nice bokeh. And I love the perspective of this focal length on this sensor size. I usually prefer a wider lens, previously owned the Rokinon 10mm, but much prefer this lens now. Maybe my focal length tastes are changing. This might be my new favorite lens.

rok12mm5.jpg

rok12mm2.jpg

rok12mm3.jpg

rok12mm4.jpg

8 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I got the Rokinon 12mm cine lens for my bmpcc, and I love it so far. These were all shot wide open, and I was surprised by how sharp it is. Nice bokeh. And I love the perspective of this focal length on this sensor size. I usually prefer a wider lens, previously owned the Rokinon 10mm, but much prefer this lens now. Maybe my focal length tastes are changing. This might be my new favorite lens.

rok12mm5.jpg

rok12mm2.jpg

rok12mm3.jpg

rok12mm4.jpg

I have to agree ! I got a Samyang (same as rokinon)  12mm Cine lens too, and I have to say, I did not though I would use it that much, but it is very often monted on my camera. Great wide angle lens, sharp and fast for a very good price :)

11 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

rok12mm5.jpg

rok12mm2.jpg

rok12mm3.jpg

rok12mm4.jpg

That look from this lens is sooo dope ! I really slept on the Rokinon primes ??

Have that lens too - gives the equivalent field of view of a 35mm lens on a full frame sensor, i.e. moderate, non-distorting wide angle. This is the ideal focal length for documentary and run-and-gun. - Small remark: Your images look like they have infrared contamination. Did you use an IR cut filter on the lens? 

11 hours ago, cantsin said:

Have that lens too - gives the equivalent field of view of a 35mm lens on a full frame sensor, i.e. moderate, non-distorting wide angle. This is the ideal focal length for documentary and run-and-gun. - Small remark: Your images look like they have infrared contamination. Did you use an IR cut filter on the lens? 

Are you sure? "FF equivalence is not used in cinematography..."

3 hours ago, bamigoreng said:

For the love of god, can we not get into this argument again?

Used my Rokinon 24mm a bit more, found out that I do like it from 2.8 where the microcontrast and detail comes back, just won't use it at 1.4-2. I guess I became spoiled by my Voigts and their high-contrast from wide open.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

For the love of god, can we not get into this argument again?

Used my Rokinon 24mm a bit more, found out that I do like it from 2.8 where the microcontrast and detail comes back, just won't use it at 1.4-2. I guess I became spoiled by my Voigts and their high-contrast from wide open.

The contrast doesn't dial back in nicely in post?

9 hours ago, bamigoreng said:

FF equivalency is sometimes useful if you have a FF camera and other formats as well.     Even for video (at least it is for me).    Geez my A7s has both APSC and FF video and my GX7 is M4/3 and I often use the same lenses on all of them BECAUSE they are different and it means I don't have to buy more lenses than I already have.

Yes a 27mm lens IS a 27mm lens no matter what the format but the angle of view isn't the same.

Didn't Fincher use other formats besides S35?      So you think he would have used the 27mm equally on S16?

Dead horse flogged once more just in case it was just playing dead!

1 hour ago, noone said:

FF equivalency is sometimes useful if you have a FF camera and other formats as well.     Even for video (at least it is for me).    Geez my A7s has both APSC and FF video and my GX7 is M4/3 and I often use the same lenses on all of them BECAUSE they are different and it means I don't have to buy more lenses than I already have.

Yes a 27mm lens IS a 27mm lens no matter what the format but the angle of view isn't the same.

Didn't Fincher use other formats besides S35?      So you think he would have used the 27mm equally on S16?

Dead horse flogged once more just in case it was just playing dead!

Yep, FF equivalency is useful.

The Game: NF - 16mm and 35mm http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119174/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

XMcNykS.jpg

~ http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/renderings-amazin-aps-c-e-mount-lens-range-narek-avetisyan/

I've been giving Sony a bit of a hard time. I always say 'the thing that makes a system compact, is the lenses'. It's not so much about a small camera body. And they've been neglecting APS-C for far too long. This would be a hell of a comeback from that. Geepers creepers. Now they just need a body to deserve that kind of lens investment, because I bet they ain't going to go cheaply. But Panasonic and Olympus have started doing this. Just... with the 4/3" sensor, you really need that kind of extra squeeze performance. Sony has kinda been messy with their APS-C cameras. If they could bring a reliable camera, with no overheating, negligible rolling shutter, much like an Olympus E-M1 Mark II. Then man... I have something to consider here. Just when I thought they were out of moves.

-- oh, lol, it's not a move, it's a feature request by a creative user. Well. :sweat_smile:

21 hours ago, cantsin said:

Get one to avoid the brownish color cast on your footage.

Oh, I've been made well aware of this. In fact, I think you were the one who told me the first time I bought the pocket a year ago. I have one on the way in the mail right now. I regraded my recent video to fix it. It seemed to work, unless my monitors are way off.

https://vimeo.com/199116555

16 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I got my Rokinon 24mm cine lens the day after the 12mm. I definitely won't use it wide open either, but T2-4 looks good to me. I don't know about micro contrast, I'll be looking into that, but it's acceptable to me at T2. I did a quick and dirty test of the lens on my dumb face last night. Nothing exact or well-matched, I was mostly just testing sharpness.

T/1.5

rok24mmT1.5.jpg

T/2

rok24mmT2.jpg

T/2.8

rok24mmT2.8.jpg

T/4

rok24mmT4.jpg

I'm enjoying these lenses.

I lied. I decided to upload a sharpness comparison of the Rokinon 24mm and 12mm from wide open to T4. Only the 24mm at T1.5 has sharpening (I kinda take back what I said about the 24mm, it's usable wide open with sharpening.I probably wouldn't do this much, but if I had to, I could live with it):