Lenses

Andrew Reid

29 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

is the canon 85mm 1.2 pointless then also? so many wedding photographers rely on that lens at f1.2, its a specific style.

Hey bror, I like the idea of a 105 1.4 lens, but let's face it, imho most 35mm lenses faster than 1.8 are sort of pointless because they aren't good enough to resolve fine detail on medium distances, and on close distances anything faster than 1.8 is total overkill. And yes, for wedding photographers the fuzzines/softness of 1.2 35mm lenses can be a plus.

My very personal view on the whole fast expensive 35mm lens thing is that for the money you need to buy a good 35mm setup ( 105 1.4 is 2000$ plus another 1500$ for the camera body) I can buy a used mediumformat backand it's going to look way better.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Hey bror, I like the idea of a 105 1.4 lens, but let's face it, imho most 35mm lenses faster than 1.8 are sort of pointless because they aren't good enough to resolve fine detail on medium distances, and on close distances anything faster than 1.8 is total overkill. And yes, for wedding photographers the fuzzines/softness of 1.2 35mm lenses can be a plus.

My very personal view on the whole fast expensive 35mm lens thing is that for the money you need to buy a good 35mm setup ( 105 1.4 is 2000$ plus another 1500$ for the camera body) I can buy a used mediumformat backand it's going to look way better.

Yeah not everyone will needs/wants such a lens, the price indicates that its a speciality lens for a niche group of people. But im sure those people who can see its potential will love it.

After seeing this...

...I really wonder whether you need any more than two lenses - the Sigma Art 18-35mm/1.8 + Sigma Art 50-100/1.8 - when shooting video on S35/APS-C sensor or speedboosted MFT and S16 sensors. 

The 18-35 already obsoleted my 24mm, 28mm and 35mm Ai-s Nikkors + DX zooms. It's optically much better than any of those. Now it seems that the 50-100 will also obsolete my 50mm, 85mm and 105mm Nikkors. Get two bodies of whatever camera you use, mount the 18-35 on the first body and the 50-100 on the second, and you should be able to cover almost any shooting situation. And get peace of mind because you'll no longer need to hunt lenses.

2 hours ago, cantsin said:

After seeing this...

...I really wonder whether you need any more than two lenses - the Sigma Art 18-35mm/1.8 + Sigma Art 50-100/1.8 - when shooting video on S35/APS-C sensor or speedboosted MFT and S16 sensors. 

If you want something small, light, and inconspicuous, or if (like me) you find the look a little sterile.

Otherwise, yeah...it's stunning to think how much these two lenses replace in the average shooter's bag. Mind-blowing value and versatility.

Yeah. They're great if you work them into a more elaborate set-up (locked down on a tripod or rigged up in a cage w/ rods). They're not really the run-n-gun handheld shooter-type lenses. The size, weight (1K pricetag) and lack of IS on the 50-100 makes it a tough sell for me personally. I find the 18-35mm to be more acceptable in that regard. Especially on like a GH4-boosted crop it has a useful standard range. The price VS optical quality makes the 18-35mm f/1.8 trully killer and in turn a no-brainer, really. I won't personally be getting the 50-100mm anytime soon, but if you can lock it down/rig it up, together with the 18-35mm it makes a fine team with consistent results, so I can see the charm in that.

I do mostly street photography and occasional portraiture, and I find the color and sharpness of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 to be outstanding, and even without IS, it's quite usable with some sort of shoulder mount. The Sigma 50mm f/1.4, on the other hand, is next to impossible for me to keep steady, and I refuse to use it anymore except on a tripod or slider, unless the GH5 can perform miracles. I can't imagine the Sigma 50-100mm delivering clear images either unless mounted on sticks, and it's going to be heavy as all hell. Apparently the focus throw on the 50-100mm is quite a bit longer than on the 50mm, though, which is an important consideration for video shooters (however, there is a considerable amount of breathing, so not so sure about that either). The short focus throw on the 50mm makes it a poor choice for filmmakers who intend to do any focus pulling. I have to agree with some of the posters that a super fast moderate telephoto zoom is almost redundant, at least for the kind of work I do. Since purchasing a pistol grip stabilizer, I've been re-discovering just how good the relatively slow f/2.8 Panasonic zooms I got when I still owned the GH3 are. Even the Vario 12-35 f/2.8 yields very pleasing bokeh when doing tight close-ups wide open. I was tempted by the soon-to-be released Pan-Leica DG Summilux 12mm f/1.4, but the price is astronomical, and I think I'll wait for Sigma to unveil a fast wide u43, which I think can't be far away, as they just released a 30mm f/1.4. At Lenstip, they bemoan the fact that Panasonic has a partnership with Leica instead of Sigma, and I couldn't agree more. Anyhow, after watching the TCSTV review, I'd have to agree that although Sigma is offering an optically stunning lens at a reasonable price, without any weather sealing or OIS, the Sigma 50-100mm zoom doesn't offer anything I'd be remotely interested in.

t2iML1.jpgt2iML2.jpg

I got a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Ai in the mail today, and I love it. I tried it out on my T2i along with Magic Lantern and Visioncolor CineLook, and I'm loving this combination (graded with FilmConvert). I'm sure everyone already knows this/has posted about it, but this lens really is sharp at f/1.4 (which is the aperture of these grabs). I'm liking the 28mm 2.8 Ai as well:visiontech1.jpg

Wonderful lenses.

Awesome! I guess I'd prefer small primes coupled with sensor stabilization. But man, if you want to work with a nice allround zoomset, there hardly is anything more suitable. The 28-70mm and 80-200mm f/2.8 D still make an awesome pair! Been keeping my eyes open for a 17-35mm to hit a nice price for quite a while now to add to the two. Nice coverage speedboosted on M43. Like the 18-35mm and 50-100mm f/1.8 from Sigma would too I suppose (depends on the look you're after). Same goes for both too that they're rather clunky and would require a little bit more rigging up. But hey, then you're shooting Bourne-style baby! :glasses:

Angenieux zoom time! I just got myself an angenieux 15-150 zoom (which is the zoom on the left in the photo) It is optically very simmilar to the 12-120 on the right however it is designed to cover super 16 film. I've done a lot of shooting with the 12-120 on the gh4 and will be using the 15-150 soon! Just have to get the current projects done and out the door.

image.jpeg

On 08/08/2016 at 3:37 PM, freeman said:

Angenieux zoom time! I just got myself an angenieux 15-150 zoom (which is the zoom on the left in the photo) It is optically very simmilar to the 12-120 on the right however it is designed to cover super 16 film. I've done a lot of shooting with the 12-120 on the gh4 and will be using the 15-150 soon! Just have to get the current projects done and out the door.

image.jpeg

Don't suppose you're interested in a 1970s 35mm one are you?

Complete with EF adapter!

IMG_5351_zps29opeul4.jpg

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Is the t2i your primary camera now? Am definitely looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. 

It's my only camera, aside from my iPhone. I had to sell the bmpcc to pay for the T2i and lenses. I am hoping later down the line to add a GH4 and/or DJI Osmo to my bag, whenever I can afford them.