Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
16 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I'm really damn impressed with the Switar 16mm wide open (f/1.8).

switar 16-2.jpgswitar 16-1.jpg

Kern Paillards are sweet for sure. And one can by a set of three for peanuts.

Used the 16mm switar as well as the 25mm and 75mm for this.

I'm looking to buying a new set. Found all three plus the 10mm for $100.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Damn, I paid $200 for my 16mm on ebay. :/ I'd definitely like that 25mm and 10mm too. All are pretty expensive on ebay.

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Damn, I paid $200 for my 16mm on ebay. :/ I'd definitely like that 25mm and 10mm too. All are pretty expensive on ebay.

I buy my from ebay as well. As always one needs to look around and not just at the top of the list. I'm making a "how to buy cheap on eBay" after I've bought the once I have my eyes on :)

On June 16, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I just discovered your Vimeo page the other day. It's cool to see all of your BMPCC and D16 footage on there.

Btw, that's a great price on those Kern lenses. I can only assume you got a Bolex with it?

I just picked up a couple Angenieux lenses... The 10mm and the 15mm. Not a bad price, but nowhere near the deals you are finding.

Does the D16 need an IR cut filter? I love shooting on my BMMCC with these old lenses but I do need to get some step up rings because the IR pollution is out of control on some of them.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, mercer said:

I just discovered your Vimeo page the other day. It's cool to see all of your BMPCC and D16 footage on there.

Btw, that's a great price on those Kern lenses. I can only assume you got a Bolex with it?

I just picked up a couple Angenieux lenses... The 10mm and the 15mm. Not a bad price, but nowhere near the deals you are finding.

Does the D16 need an IR cut filter? I love shooting on my BMMCC with these old lenses but I do need to get some step up rings because the IR pollution is out of control on some of them.

Yes it included a Bolex, that I used the other day for my next D16 review :)

IMG_20160614_070108.md.jpg

No there is no need for IR Cut on the D16. 

Just got the Meopta 20mm c-mount lens in the mail, so I used it in a scene on a short I'm working on. 

image.jpeg

I was actually out scouting locations when I found this old, abandoned cabin in the woods. For handheld and wide open... I am digging this lens. I think stopped down a notch or two and she will really shine. 

Anyone ever used the Canon EF 28 1.8? I know it gets kinda bad reviews and there is the sigma 30 1.4, but the canon has the much shorter MFD. I was wondering whether the softness of this lens might not work in favor for us video guys.

3 hours ago, jase said:

Anyone ever used the Canon EF 28 1.8? I know it gets kinda bad reviews and there is the sigma 30 1.4, but the canon has the much shorter MFD. I was wondering whether the softness of this lens might not work in favor for us video guys.

If you're shooting canon 1080p it wont be a problem.

A little test of vintage lens KORREKTAR 150mm on BMMCC camera. The lens was made for some kind of reproduction machines and covers huge 12x18 cm frame. Probably another bad copy of industrial Zeiss or Nikon (as all things done in USSR). Although the specs calmed huge resolution for 12x18 cm frame, its not very sharp on tiny s16 sensor in regular (not macro) mode.  The good thing about this lens is that in macro mode you can be very far from object. It has perfect round bokeh at any F-stop and very flat and even image area.

The test chart is DIY printed A3 paper so don't expect it to be very precise at high resolutions. The camera was located about 5 meters from the chart. For lighting i use two 100W incandescent bulbs. The images were shoot in RAW and processed in Davinci Resolve in ACES workflow. All images shoot at same camera settings and Gain (In ACES its same as Exposure) was boosted in post to keep them the same as F6.3. I also attached image shoot at F22 without Exposure boost so you can see how many shadow details this camera can recover in post.

IMG_2528-.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0746_C0002_671879.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0747_C0003_673923.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0748_C0004_675226.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0750_C0005_677068.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0751_C0006_679120.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0752_C0007_680654.jpg

CAM1_2016-06-19_0751_C0006_679120-NO-GAIN.jpg

2 lenses_wp_b.jpg

Mikroplanar 1954_wp_b.jpg

5452076394_d849536299_o.jpg

5458794939_733fd39d25_z.jpg

Screen-shot-2016-06-21-at-9.11.32-PM.jpg

• Super Members

Good finds today.

A 100% mint 15mm f4.5 that covers most full frames. Viewfinder and awesome rearcap included. Total cost $250.

IMG_20160621_083015.md.jpg

Sample using T-Max 100.

2016-06-21_10-51-34.md.jpg

Also a Fujinon 12.5mm f1.4. Very solid and good price. No sample so far, will use it on the Bolex.

IMG_20160623_202238.md.jpg

The M6 will also use the 15mm.

^Nice haul, Mattias,

I'm still getting all of them sorted out for use on the pocket cam, but I recently got a haul of C-mount lenses including that same Fujinon 12.5 f/1.4

Also came with:

Fujinon 25mm 1.4, Cosmicar 8.5mm 1.8, Cosmicar 12.5mm 1.8

Excited to see how they all do.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, homestar_kevin said:

^Nice haul, Mattias,

I'm still getting all of them sorted out for use on the pocket cam, but I recently got a haul of C-mount lenses including that same Fujinon 12.5 f/1.4

Also came with:

Fujinon 25mm 1.4, Cosmicar 8.5mm 1.8, Cosmicar 12.5mm 1.8

Excited to see how they all do.

Those are all fun lenses, good steal. Might vignette a tad on the pocket but not to bad.

Thats one of the perks with the Bolex. Almost all C-mounts cover.

57 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Those are all fun lenses, good steal. Might vignette a tad on the pocket but not to bad.

Thats one of the perks with the Bolex. Almost all C-mounts cover.

Im still dying to know if these cmount lenses will cover a gh4 or g7 sensor. The samples you guys are posting look beautiful

25 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Im still dying to know if these cmount lenses will cover a gh4 or g7 sensor. The samples you guys are posting look beautiful

The 25mm f/1.4 Fujinon will cover the GH4. And I think the 12.5mm will as well... In 4K mode. 

What is the crop factor of an average c-mount lens? I've considered buying some before because I'm pretty sure they would work for 4k on the NX500 given the camera's extreme 2.4x crop and all, some of them look like they'd be pretty sweet to play around with. Has anyone tried this? 

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Parker said:

What is the crop factor of an average c-mount lens? I've considered buying some before because I'm pretty sure they would work for 4k on the NX500 given the camera's extreme 2.4x crop and all, some of them look like they'd be pretty sweet to play around with. Has anyone tried this? 

The $20 fujian 35mm f1.7 covers APS-C so that might be a good and cheap start.

41 minutes ago, mercer said:

The 25mm f/1.4 Fujinon will cover the GH4. And I think the 12.5mm will as well... In 4K mode. 

Is there a thread on here that shows all the c-mount lenses that can cover a m4/3 sensor ? I like the look of these lenses but I shoot stills as well so it would be dope if there was a list setup somewhere