Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

35 1.8, 45 2.8, 58 1.4. The 85 1.7, 21 2.8, 28 2.8, and 35-70 are next, and samples I've seen show relatively low breathing on those as well.

That's a nice set. I love the 35mm 1.8. I wish I never sold mine. I have the 24-35mm 3.5, 28mm f2, 35-70mm macro, and the 50mm 1.4. I want to pick up a cheap 45mm f2 and I may replace my 24-35 with the 24-50. I also have a couple Celtics... I have a mint copy of the MC 35mm f2.8 that I declicked. I want to find a speedbooster for them, but they're hard to come by. Do you use yours with your pocket cam? If so, do you have any clips? I'd really like to see how the Minoltas look on the BMPCC. 

8 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Zeiss milvus 50mm f1.4 w/ tiffen black satin filter // edited with VSCO cam 

image.jpeg

Stunning. 

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

That's a nice set. I love the 35mm 1.8. I wish I never sold mine. I have the 24-35mm 3.5, 28mm f2, 35-70mm macro, and the 50mm 1.4. I want to pick up a cheap 45mm f2 and I may replace my 24-35 with the 24-50. I also have a couple Celtics... I have a mint copy of the MC 35mm f2.8 that I declicked. I want to find a speedbooster for them, but they're hard to come by. Do you use yours with your pocket cam? If so, do you have any clips? I'd really like to see how the Minoltas look on the BMPCC. 

No clips with the pocket yet, but I'll let you know when I have something to share. I just got the 45mm f/2 last week. Small, light. Razor sharp at 2.8. F/2 is good, but has a bit of that vintage low-con glow going on. I like it. Plan to pick up another for matching close ups on 2-camera shoots.

I'm glad to hear about the 45mm. I have an old copy that has some fungus in it, so I never mounted it to my camera. But everything I have heard about it was conflicting. Some people love it and some say it's okay for a kit lens. Then I saw Volker's video with it and I just love that 3D quality. Does your copy show that 3D separation as well? And yeah, when you get something on the pocket, please share. 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

Question for lens experts.

Electronic lenses obviously can be controlled by a camera for auto-focus, aperture, and (sometimes) zoom. Would it be possible to create an electronic manual focus via a rocker zoom button? Instead of the rocker controlling zoom it would control the turn of the focus wheel.

There is a AF adapter that simply moves the lens back and fourth infront of the sensor. It gives old vintage glass AF.

4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

There is a AF adapter that simply moves the lens back and fourth infront of the sensor. It gives old vintage glass AF.

Is it autofocus though? It changes focus automatically? I'm just curious if they could program an electronic lens to accept focus controls through a camera as a slow turn (manually), instead of hunting. The Redrock Micro remote focus is really cool but it requires external battery, rails, and teeth for non cine lens. It would be awesome for instance on the FS700 to use the rocker switch for focus instead of zoom.

They have the Aputure DEC in E-mount: http://www.aputure.com/dec-compatible-lens-list . Something like that you mean, I suppose?

One of the first bridgecameras to sport 1080p was the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS. It used the navigational dial on the back in MF mode to turn and control focus. Totally OT, but just for nostalgic sake let me share this video where someone made a test to show how flexible the zoomrange is that sold me on the camera:

Neways, back to focus by buttons... I could imagine Magic Lantern coming up with a similar thing. Main thing: it has to be appointed in-camera and I don't think out-of-the-box it's switchable, so something like the DEC would be worth a try. Just... it's limited to Canon mount lenses. There's a bunch tested as well as the Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 that should work.

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Is it autofocus though? It changes focus automatically? I'm just curious if they could program an electronic lens to accept focus controls through a camera as a slow turn (manually), instead of hunting. The Redrock Micro remote focus is really cool but it requires external battery, rails, and teeth for non cine lens. It would be awesome for instance on the FS700 to use the rocker switch for focus instead of zoom.

It gives it the same AF as the camera has with its native glass. No extra function added.

Currently for Leica M.

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/07/this-adapter-gives-manual-focus-m-lenses-autofocus-on-sony-cameras/

10 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

They have the Aputure DEC in E-mount: http://www.aputure.com/dec-compatible-lens-list . Something like that you mean, I suppose?

One of the first bridgecameras to sport 1080p was the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS. It used the navigational dial on the back in MF mode to turn and control focus. Totally OT, but just for nostalgic sake let me share this video where someone made a test to show how flexible the zoomrange is that sold me on the camera:

Neways, back to focus by buttons... I could imagine Magic Lantern coming up with a similar thing. Main thing: it has to be appointed in-camera and I don't think out-of-the-box it's switchable, so something like the DEC would be worth a try. Just... it's limited to Canon mount lenses. There's a bunch tested as well as the Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 that should work.

Yeah that's along the same lines. It would be nice if a camera built that tech into the body. Seems like a very useful feature.

54 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

im 99% sure that you can focus by buttons on magic lantern, it works best with stm lenses.

5 minutes ago, sandro said:

I've been offered the following Pentax vintage lenses: 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 35-105 f3.5... anyone ever used these?

Are they the SMC Pentax-M? If so, then yes I have used the 28mm and the 50mm. They are both excellent lenses and probably some of the cheapest, high quality vintage lenses you will find. The focus rings on those lenses are just buttery smooth. You can literally adjust focus with one finger. I have not used the zoom, in fact I've never seen one. Go to Pentax Forums, they have a lens database with User Reviews, and often times, photo samples. 

Just remember they are a dime a dozen, so be sure you are paying next to nothing because mint copies are regularly available for ridiculously cheap prices.