Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, sandro said:

I'm trying to find the different look the other lenses give compared to Nikkor. I'm curious.

If you want the best lens with that look, spend the money and get the Nikon. Other 2.8 lenses will probably be fine for whatever you're doing, but I feel like you keep asking the same question and hoping you get a different answer. If you want to know what the Tokina or Sigma 2.8 lenses look like, Google them... Surely there are videos online using those lenses. 

5 hours ago, andy lee said:

The Nikon ai and ais zooms in this range are great too all f3.5 or f4 and when on a speed booster are supertb  they ate a alot cheaper than the 2.8 Nikon zooms

35-70 ai f3.5 or 35-70D af f2.8? I can get a good 3.5 for around $90 and a decent 2.8 for around $175.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

If you want the best lens with that look, spend the money and get the Nikon. Other 2.8 lenses will probably be fine for whatever you're doing, but I feel like you keep asking the same question and hoping you get a different answer. If you want to know what the Tokina or Sigma 2.8 lenses look like, Google them... Surely there are videos online using those lenses. 

I got that Nikon is better... I wanted to see a side by side comparison.

On February 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM, andy lee said:

M Carter

Im using the same Nikon  28-70mm on a similar rig but I have a lens support that also has the lens cable tied to it so you get no movement when using the follow focus

thjis locks the lens front right down onto the lens support on the 15mm rods and no movement  see pic below

DSC_0064.jpg

That's pretty cool - does it release quickly? I swap lenses a lot during some shoots. 

On February 6, 2016 at 10:44 AM, mercer said:

Hondo Garage makes a rig with an anti-twist design that looks brilliant. I cannot say first hand, because I don't use a follow focus. I find I can get a pretty good focus pull with a simple follow focus lever. Of course, Hondo Garage's 50 dollar follow focus looks like a great low budget design that I'm tempted to try. 

It's not a twisting issue - still lens mounts don't seem to be designed for rock-solid connection, and adding an adapter gives you more points where motion can occur. What I've found is that the first twist of the FF will make the lens bump upwards (or down depending on focus direction). Using an adjustable lens support, if I'm going to do a focus move, I'll add a bit of tension, lifting the lens maybe a millimeter or less, but that takes up the range the lens would move and I get a good pull. I usually add a whip if I'm seeing any motion, the whip removes any vibration from your hand on the knob. This strategy (taking the upward play from the lens and mounts and adapters as a group) could be worrisome if overdone - you're adding some upward pressure to those points. In practice, I've found you're just taking out any available up-down play - just don't crank it up so far that it could warp something! And I usually dial it back off for static focus shots. 

By the way, get the Fotga DP focus is you're on a budget - really well made FF for the $$, very solid, with 2-point focus stops, main gear can flip to either side in seconds, and spares kits are on amazon (main gear, gear attach screw, and stop screws) for like ten bucks - handy to have just in case.

6 hours ago, M Carter said:

That's pretty cool - does it release quickly? I swap lenses a lot during some shoots. 

yes it does the cable ties are quick release ties that unlock and the camera is on a manfrotto quick release plate so the whole system coems off the rig easily

The f/2.6-2.8 is a licensed design. It originates from the Angenieux 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 which itself is out there as well, but in rare numbers and probably jacked up prices should you be able to spot one. If you care about the Tokina 28-70mm I think it's fair to say you only want to care about the AT-X PRO f/2.6-2.8. One's on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tokina-AT-X-PRO-28-70mm-f2-6-2-8-Angenieux-Legendar-/151977467394 .

Yes. But you were looking at it, because it was mentioned somewhere. But the AT-X PRO (II) f/2.6-2.8 got mentioned because, like you're showing it's the only lens licenced to use the Angenieux optical formula (which the video you posted proves exactly). That's why if you're looking for that Angenieux magic and it's too tricky to get the original one, you can find the Tokina version with the same optical mojo more easily and much cheaper!

The standard f/2.8 version has nothing to do with the Angenieux f/2.6 version though... it's like gold bars and oranges, you're looking at something else now. So of course the orange will be cheaper as well. :grin: It's like looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8 when someone told you about the Canon 50mm f/1.2.

58 minutes ago, sandro said:

I read that it has same optics as the pro version (it's identical from the outside, it "just" has 2.6). I saw this comparison and to me they're the same and not worth the extra price 

I was asking for the non pro because I could get it for less than the pro.

It's a completely different optical design with different coating. It's a worse lens that is not worth the savings. That test is comparing the Tokina to the Angenieux zoom, it's not a comparison between the two Tokina lenses.

the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70 2.6-2.8 VERSION 1 is the Angenieux design it has a screw on lens hood not a boyonet lens hood the Version 2 has , I have a couple of the Verion 1 lenses and they are great , fully wide open at 2.6 they have a unique look to them , very very cinematic

So let me get this straight: this 2.6-2.8 DSC_5115-e1320540087572.jpg 

and this ATX pro 2.8 127699d1336626834-sale-sold-tokina-x-pro

which are identical are two completely different systems?

The ATX PRO is not as sharp, cinematic looking, parfocal and with virtually no focus breathing as the old 2.6-2.8? :(
I read on here the latest ATX (non pro) http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/28-70mm-f28.htm has the same optics as the 2.6-2.8 so assumed even the ATX pro which is in between had the same since it's has also the same body.

If I'm completely wrong then I might just get the Tamron 28-70 f2 for less that has all the issue like heavy focus breathing, plastic build quality etc...

1 hour ago, sandro said:
1 hour ago, sandro said:

DSC_5115-e1320540087572.jpg this is the Version 2 it has bayonet lips on the front for the lens hood -

this version was tweeked slightly by Tokina from the original angenieux design - different coatings etc - I also have this lens and I cannot tell and differance optically from the version 1 with is 100% ANGENIEUX DESIGN

127699d1336626834-sale-sold-tokina-x-pro

THIS IS THE LATER VERSION TWEEKED BY TOKINA  , also to confuse the issue there are some Japanese home market lenses that are just marked 2.8 that are the Angenieux design ......good luck !  and one that looks like this but as SV on the front that  has no aspheric elements in it

ps your link to the Ken Rockwell site is a link to a totally different lens it was designed by Tokina BEFORE they aquired the Angenieux design and is best avoided