Lenses

Andrew Reid

Your not so distagont future. :) Here too btw. I've tried just about everything, but so far nothing Zeiss branded yet. Though they have this sexiness to 'em. Mmm... and now with the cheaper C/Y focal reducers... who knows. My finger might slip and press some button on eBay by accident, you know. Which would be the one to go and try first?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your not so distagont future. :) Here too btw. I've tried just about everything, but so far nothing Zeiss branded yet. Though they have this sexiness to 'em. Mmm... and now with the cheaper C/Y focal reducers... who knows. My finger might slip and press some button on eBay by accident, you know. Which would be the one to go and try first?

By no means am I an expert in Zeiss lenses, but if you want to get your feet wet, for a modest price, then get the 50mm f/1.7 Planar. If you want to dive head first, and use a little of your kid's college fund, then go with the 28mm f/2 Distagon. 

I'm searching for a Voigtländer 90mm f/3.5 in Nikon mount. I own the 20mm 2.8  and 40mm f2 and absolutely adore them, low contrast that somehow "pops" . Searching for the 90mm in Nikon to round out the set and use them on an upcoming short. It's out of production and I haven't been able to find a used copy, If anyone here has one for sale I would be very interested in purchasing it.

By no means am I an expert in Zeiss lenses, but if you want to get your feet wet, for a modest price, then get the 50mm f/1.7 Planar. If you want to dive head first, and use a little of your kid's college fund, then go with the 28mm f/2 Distagon. 

Im going to start off with either the milvus 35mm f2 or the 21mm 2.8 & definitely the 50mm f1.4 !

I think it's important to keep in mind that you have a cohesive set of lenses, especially when you go for more exotic rendering. I'm sticking with all Sigma at the moment and used to do all Canon L in the past but then it's less an issue for photography  than for video. 

I love the rendering of Voigtländer and if I had a full frame mirrorless I'd probably get the 40 1.4 and 75 1.8 as a compact set to cover my go to focal lengths.  

I think it's important to keep in mind that you have a cohesive set of lenses, especially when you go for more exotic rendering. I'm sticking with all Sigma at the moment and used to do all Canon L in the past but then it's less an issue for photography  than for video. 

I love the rendering of Voigtländer and if I had a full frame mirrorless I'd probably get the 40 1.4 and 75 1.8 as a compact set to cover my go to focal lengths.  

the voigtlander's are great I had the leica m mount ones on my a7s. That is one set of lenses I regret letting go but they were only compatible my emount cam ! Hey if anyone wants a set of nikkors I am selling them on ebay for cheap !

and yeah dude I know what you mean by shooting with a cohesive set of lenses. I personally will never mix lenses from different brands on a shoot. The look becomes very inconsistent. Im hoping these zeiss milvus lenses are worth the hype & money cause they are bragging about an all new lens design optimized for high resolution sensors. My mouth watering just thinking about it

One of my early experiences that I was very glad didn't bite me in the ass:

Working on a TV show with a very inexperienced crew (including myself) DP saw my set of nikon lenses and asked if he could use my wide for a shot, they were shooting with Canon L glass. That turns into him and the Director using my glass on second camera. Then a huge mix of it on a certain section that they wanted to shoot low light and only my glass was faster than 2.8.

The look was so different they scrapped everything from 3 days shooting and we re-shot.  I was set photographer, and the fault was of the DP and Director. But still, I should have realized it the moment they asked to use my glass.

Ah. I kinda forgot that we had a whole friggin' topic on those recently.

Will probably follow Andý's advice and be abele to send junior to Harvard instead of community college after all by not going with the faster ones. :)

Zeiss C/Y lenses on speedboosters are a superb option I use alot , I made a full set of f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens - yes the f2.8 versions so on the speedbooster they are f2 when fully wide open - and thats how I use them wide open , the glass in these lenses is identical formula that is in the Zeiss Super Speed cinema lenses and Zeiss Ultra Primes - the guys on RED USER have done loads of A/B tests and its identical , so for me as I like to shoot f2 max  the f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens are amazing .

Cinema quility glass at affordable prices - I went for 25, 28 35, 45, 50 , 85 . 135mm

I might just try a 35 mil first since that's a focal length I have the least alternatives for. Would have to get me that focal reducer if commited, though. I'll sleep on it.

- Hum, I see that's actually what richg suggested there too:

Personally I'd always go for the contax versions.  Made in DE or Japan.  The ZE/ZF lenses suffer from modernisation of manufacturing processes - open one up and there aint brass mechanical parts in a ZE.  I expect the glass will also not be German / Japanese.

IMO the 28mm/2 is one of the most over rated lenses ever.  way too expensive for what it actually does.  28mm lenses I find boring in general, and paying premium for an f2 where dof is so deep anyway it'd a waste of big bucks - particularly since at f2 it looks like crap.  I'd sooner get a contax 25mm/2.8 and a 35mm/2.8 for the same price as the single 28mm.  Or plump for the 35/1.4 for the extra £100.  Now THAT IS A LENS 

On the flip side I think all of the faster zeiss dslr lenses should be avoided.  You pay a premium for the bigger apertures but when used wide open or even 2 stops closed they really fringe in a nasty way.

Man, there so many awesome folks around here with great angles on things. Good food for thought.

Ah. I kinda forgot that we had a whole friggin' topic on those recently.

Will probably follow Andý's advice and be abele to send junior to Harvard instead of community college after all by not going with the faster ones. :)

I might just try a 35 mil first since that's a focal length I have the least alternatives for. Would have to get me that focal reducer if commited, though. I'll sleep on it.

my kids will just have to tough it out with a high school degree LMAO ! Zeiss milvus here i come

Well, growing up with so much awesome gear around them, perhaps just pass down the knowledge and skills by homeschooling them in the art of photography/cinematography. Imagine The Kelly Family if you will, but instead of playing instruments and singing, they grow up taking pictures and video. That's a pretty mean production crew put together right there!

the voigtlander's are great I had the leica m mount ones on my a7s. That is one set of lenses I regret letting go but they were only compatible my emount cam ! Hey if anyone wants a set of nikkors I am selling them on ebay for cheap !

and yeah dude I know what you mean by shooting with a cohesive set of lenses. I personally will never mix lenses from different brands on a shoot. The look becomes very inconsistent. Im hoping these zeiss milvus lenses are worth the hype & money cause they are bragging about an all new lens design optimized for high resolution sensors. My mouth watering just thinking about it

Did you sell all your FD lenses? What will you have to shoot with in the mean time?

• Super Members

Played a little with the old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 today. For the price its more than ok.

It was a very warm and burning sunset tonight, this first one is a tiny bit graded to give it some blue. f4.0.

50mmSol.md.jpg

Next I think was at f2.0, its ungraded in Red Gamma 3.

50mmRegn.md.jpg

This is also ungraded at f2.0.

50mmKo.md.jpg

Lastly, ungraded at f1.4.

50mmKrut.md.jpg

Played a little with the old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 today. For the price its more than ok.

It was a very warm and burning sunset tonight, this first one is a tiny bit graded to give it some blue. f4.0.

50mmSol.md.jpg

Next I think was at f2.0, its ungraded in Red Gamma 3.

50mmRegn.md.jpg

This is also ungraded at f2.0.

50mmKo.md.jpg

Lastly, ungraded at f1.4.

50mmKrut.md.jpg

Looks great. IMO, it is some of the best stuff from your new set up. 

sold my FD lenses, they made me a small fortune ! After my nikkors go I will be shooting with a 50mm f1.4 super takumar. I use it as a backup.Love the rendering of that lens ! 

image.jpeg

Nice shot. Is that a grab or a still? I love those old Taks. I picked up a 35mm f2 yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. Actually, I bought 2 yesterday. The first one was a great price, the second one was just cheap... Stupid cheap. I'll keep one and sell the other. Cha ching. 

I've been obsessed with M42 lenses lately, which is ironic because when I first started shooting, all I could afford were M42 lenses. I've sold most of them since then and now I find myself buying them up again. 

Looks great. IMO, it is some of the best stuff from your new set up. 

Nice shot. Is that a grab or a still? I love those old Taks. I picked up a 35mm f2 yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. Actually, I bought 2 yesterday. The first one was a great price, the second one was just cheap... Stupid cheap. I'll keep one and sell the other. Cha ching. 

I've been obsessed with M42 lenses lately, which is ironic because when I first started shooting, all I could afford were M42 lenses. I've sold most of them since then and now I find myself buying them up again. 

its a still image but looks no diff than the frame grab !

Hi, I also give a shout out to the contax zeiss lens, I have a small set and all are great. One I like just for its versatility is the 35-70mm, it is super sharp if you are into stills and has a decent macro function. Not the fastest but great quality.... mine even survived a 6 foot fall onto the ground. Just one thing I am using the lenses on a GH4 with a regular c/y adaptor, I want to get a speedbooster but are there cheaper versions of the metabones c/y to m4/3? Or should I just get a c/y to eos adaptor and then the  eos to /43 speedboster and stack the adaptors?

Thanks