Lenses

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Today I picked up the 35mm f1.4 and completed my trio for the M8 (also 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.5).

Got all of them in absolute mint condition for a good price used. Will work on any mirrorless camera for video as well.

The best part, besides the excellent image is the very nice build quality and smooth focus, with tabs on all but the 50mm.

IMG_20160521_132244.md.jpg

Very pancakish.

IMG_20160521_132418.md.jpg

IMG_20160521_132550.md.jpg

Is the m8 full frame?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just got the set of 3 Kiev16u lenses that are common on ebay. I love the 20mm and 50mm lenses, but the 12mm is horrible. I don't know if it's my copy or what, but it doesn't even begin to match the sharpness of the other lenses until like f/5.6. And the vignette is awful too. I wouldn't mind a little bit in each corner that I could just slightly crop out, but this is just one broad curve in the top left. But that Vega 20mm is great. I'm loving the look of it so far.

16 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

So glad to see they're working for you! I always suspected they'd pair well with the NX1 sensor. I plan to build an MM set once I clear out some space in the gear closet.

Haven't tried the MM but the resolution on my AEJ & AEG versions are surprisingly high. I shot a couple of stills for a client and it came out pretty dope 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Great stuff kidsrevil. Sorry to go against your name with this one, grab from a quick film parody I shot yesterday. Voigtlander 20mm 3.5. Color is right off the NX1, just added some grain.

Walking toward camera best take.00_01_04_02.Still004.jpg

LOL ! What pic profile is this ? Vivid ? Looks good ! How do you feel about shooting with slower lenses on the NX1 ?

Vivid -2 Saturation +6 Black Level. It really is a far superior image than shooting in a fake flat profile by lowering contrast. Love shooting with the lower apertures in decent light. Also wider lenses shine, and also help with RS.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Haven't tried the MM but the resolution on my AEJ & AEG versions are surprisingly high. I shot a couple of stills for a client and it came out pretty dope 

image.jpeg

It's less about resolution than a slightly different rendering. MMs are a bit cleaner, crisper, more modern. They flare much less and lack the distinctive AE "ninja stars." 

If I want something smother and more vintage, I'll throw on Minoltas/Leica Rs. For a more modern look and something I can use for commercial work, I'll reach for the Zeiss set.

2 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I really wanted those Leica R's after talking to you man...I was on ebay looking for a 35mm and literally laughed out loud. The prices were so high it was comical @TheRenaissanceMan

Yeah...really gotta stick with elmarits for the wides and summicrons for 50/90 if you want to keep things economical. They're doable. But the faster, rarer glass will break the bank.

My current plan is to forgo Leicas and pair my Zeiss set with fast Minolta MCs, which I can then convert to EF mount. It depends what camera I get next-- only the Leicas will work on Nikon, and I can avoid paying $150 per lens to convert the Minoltas if I stick with mirrorless mount cameras.

18 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yeah...really gotta stick with elarits for the wides and summicrons for 50/90 if you want to keep things economical. They're doable. But the faster, rarer glass will break the bank.

My current plan is to forgo Leicas and pair my Zeiss set with fast Minolta MCs, which I can then convert to EF mount. It depends what camera I get next-- only the Leicas will work on Nikon, and I can avoid paying $150 per lens to convert the Minoltas if I stick with mirrorless mount cameras.

Minolta developed a few of the Leica lenses, I believe. The Leica 35-70 costs £££'s but the Minolta 35-70 equivalent only costs ££'s. I think the Elmarit 28mm was also developed by Minolta.

I don't know if the Leica versions have different coatings to their Minolta equivalents though.

It would be interesting to see how close the Leica and Minolta lenses are in use.

Just now, DevonChris said:

Minolta developed a few of the Leica lenses, I believe. The Leica 35-70 costs £££'s but the Minolta 35-70 equivalent only costs ££'s. I think the Elmarit 28mm was also developed by Minolta.

I don't know if the Leica versions have different coatings to their Minolta equivalents though.

It would be interesting to see how close the Leica and Minolta lenses are in use.

It's the 35-70, 24mm 2.8, and 500mm mirror lens that were licensed by Leica. The coatings do differ between the two, and some claim a build quality advantage for the Leicas. I can't speak to the veracity of that. 

I'd love to see a comparison between the best Leica and Minolta glass. My guess is that the Minoltas would hold up rather well, but lose out a bit in resolving power/microcontrast. They do match perfectly for color and contrast though, which matters more for video shooters.

On 22.5.2016 at 2:26 PM, Geoff CB said:

Great stuff kidsrevil. Sorry to go against your name with this one, grab from a quick film parody I shot yesterday. Voigtlander 20mm 3.5. Color is right off the NX1, just added some grain.

Walking toward camera best take.00_01_04_02.Still004.jpg

Freaking great color! 20mm- beautiful FOV, if one knows how to use it! What Fstop did you shoot this with, 3.5? won an auction for the Canon 20mm nFD for 220 USD.

Kinda worried now, because manual focus on the 28mm FD is very tricky from 3m to infinity, focus throw tinely short between these two marks,

so focus can easily to be off.

37 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

does anyone know of any good contax yashica to Samsung nx mounts ? If anyone has the novoflex one I will buy it off of you

I use Fotasy for pretty much all my lens adapters, they're cheap and they've always worked great for  me, that's what I use my c/y lens with on my nx cameras. From what I hear, cheap, crappy adapters can sometimes screw up infinity focus but I've never had a problem with any of mine. Frankly I don't see the need to spend more than $10 or $20 on any adapter really.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfotasy+c%2Fy+to+nx.TRS0&_nkw=fotasy+c%2Fy+to+nx&_sacat=0