Lenses

Andrew Reid

yeah dude I have no clue when FD lenses got so popular but I keep seeing the prices for em going up and up on ebay.Those Xeen lenses look sexy !

Yeah the Xeen, the Tokinas and the Veydras all look great. Still a little out of my price range, but reasonable nonetheless. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Veydras are great. They don't have any funky stuff going with them which does make 'em consistent and have great resolving power. You can now user swap the mount to E-mount too. If you were to go up from that, without the need of fullframe, remember the Sony CineAlta set that has come down in price tremendously (as seen on: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906631-REG/sony_scl_pk6_f_cinealta_4k_six_lens.html ). So you'd get a S35 covering set of 6 lenses, 20, 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm T2s for 2150 USD/each new. That's some proper glass! Still fairly pricey though, but I've seen 'em go up 2nd hand for 4850 GBP in the UK and 8500 EUR in France. And for that kind of money... that's pretty interesting for proper cinema primes.

Personally I'd like to mess around with some C/Y Zeiss next... see what all that's about for myself. I like vintage vibe, but usually I go for the extreme ones which tend to flare and create crazy bokeh, yet aren't really solid go-to lenses to just use for everything. Another interesting idea would be to shoot stuff exclusively on the BMPCC and get the Zenit Optars... http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/kinoob-ektivy . :)

Concerning Nikon Ai-s. The 28mm f/2.8 is a legendary one. Such a beaut.

Veydras are great. They don't have any funky stuff going with them which does make 'em consistent and have great resolving power. You can now user swap the mount to E-mount too. If you were to go up from that, without the need of fullframe, remember the Sony CineAlta set that has come down in price tremendously (as seen on: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906631-REG/sony_scl_pk6_f_cinealta_4k_six_lens.html ). So you'd get a S35 covering set of 6 lenses, 20, 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm T2s for 2150 USD/each new. That's some proper glass! Still fairly pricey though, but I've seen 'em go up 2nd hand for 4850 GBP in the UK and 8500 EUR in France. And for that kind of money... that's pretty interesting for proper cinema primes.

Personally I'd like to mess around with some C/Y Zeiss next... see what all that's about for myself. I like vintage vibe, but usually I go for the extreme ones which tend to flare and create crazy bokeh, yet aren't really solid go-to lenses to just use for everything. Another interesting idea would be to shoot stuff exclusively on the BMPCC and get the Zenit Optars... http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/kinoob-ektivy . :)

Yeah the Veydras look great. I read the write up on Noam Kroll's site and they seemed proper. The Contax Zeiss look great, obviously the planar is a beautiful lens. I saw a near mint 50mm 1.8 going for $175 on eBay, but I guess the 1.4 is the one to get. I read that a few of the Yashical ML lenses were made in the same plant using Zeiss glass, so that could be a good, inexpensive alternative. Also Rollei has a Planar, which I assume is a Zeiss lens? And that can be found fairly inexpensive. I actually just bought the Nikkor 28mm f2 and it is absolutely stunning wide open. I paired it with a Fotodiox ND Throttle adapter and the images I have been getting with my G7 are amazing. 

I own the 28mm f2.8 and it's been such a great balance between a modern and vintage look that I just had to buy a nikkor ais set. I hear the contax lens design is similar to the zeiss superspeeds which sounds VERY promising

I just picked one up for $800. I've rented it before, it's an excellent piece of glass, sharp from wide open at f2. 

Is it really that great of a lens? I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but for that kind of money you can get a mint Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2 "Hollywood" lens. 

Which is a single focal length without electronic stabilization and autofocus... to add some perspective.

Can't really fault photographers for picking a Canon 24-105mm L and 70-200mm f/2.8 L over (or to go with) a couple of fully manual primes either.

That's why I wrote, "apples to oranges," and I am not faulting him at all... His money... His equipment. I was just curious if it is that great of a lens. With the recent suspicions of Samsung leaving the camera business, it seems like a lot of money, for a lens that will be entirely obsolete in a couple years. But again, that's why I asked how good of a lens it is.

Well, everyone has been saying how great these S lenses are and from what I've seen they seem almost unfaultable. I think they make sense if you for the NX1. Obsolete system or not. ;) Price... that differs from person to person. I'd say 800 USD is not the craziest I've seen, seems kinda fair for a lens regarded o be of premium quality.

Well, everyone has been saying how great these S lenses are and from what I've seen they seem almost unfaultable. I think they make sense if you for the NX1. Obsolete system or not. ;) Price... that differs from person to person. I'd say 800 USD is not the craziest I've seen, seems kinda fair for a lens regarded o be of premium quality.

True. I picked up a Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 yesterday on the cheap, so I was looking around for a 28mm and realized I can't afford the "Hollywood," which is a beautiful effin lens. I guess I let my bitterness get the best of me...

My bad Geoff. 

True. I picked up a Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 yesterday on the cheap, so I was looking around for a 28mm and realized I can't afford the "Hollywood," which is a beautiful effin lens. I guess I let my bitterness get the best of me...

My bad Geoff. 

You know what they say... 'it's always nice to get yourself a Zeiss!'.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's not what anybody says, but I guess you can add 'for a very good price' and there must still be some truth to it. :) I told somebody the other day that I really need to explore Zeiss for myself sometime. I'm quite interested to literally see for my own eyes how great these are to have. I always see people's footage with a certain soul and smoothness to it. Without having like that super vintagey flawed character. I don't know. There's definitely something unique to Zeiss lenses! But I haven't really convinced myself to get even more lenses when I have so many already. A Planar 50mm on the cheap doesn't sound too bad to get a little taste for it though. :p