Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi 

I'm having real problems trying to work out what follow focus system I should get for my pre/non AI Nikkor lenses. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

If you're looking for a good manual GH4 wide, I'd look at the SLR Magic 12mm. I've had mine for about a month, and so far I'm very, very pleased with it.

Yeah, that looks good but I was trying not to go wider than the 14mm. Thanks.

Well, if you want to stick around 14mm, there is that Panasonic/Leica Objektiv DG Summilux 15mm 1.7: http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-lenses/h-x015e.html ... the one DJI reworked as kitlens for their X5. Could be worth checking out.

Follow focus... did you take a look at Kamerar's FF-3 yet? Might just suit your needs: http://kamerar.com/products/kamerar-ff-1-follow-focus-w-15mm-quick-release-rods-clamp .

Well, if you want to stick around 14mm, there is that Panasonic/Leica Objektiv DG Summilux 15mm 1.7: http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-lenses/h-x015e.html ... the one DJI reworked as kitlens for their X5. Could be worth checking out.

Follow focus... did you take a look at Kamerar's FF-3 yet? Might just suit your needs: http://kamerar.com/products/kamerar-ff-1-follow-focus-w-15mm-quick-release-rods-clamp .

Hi

Re: follow focus, I think the problem is more to do with the focus on the pre ai nikkors are kind of narrow and no plastic tie type gear rings might fit on them

Two questions:

I have a question for people who own a copy of Mir-1 B russian lens. Does your copy have issues with infinity focus?

My Mir-1 B isn't reaching infinity focus and actually I feel it won't reach like 10m away. Is there anything to do with it or should I just use it as paper weight?

I use it on my GH4 with RJ lens turbo (FD to m43). Mir-1 B has m42 to FD adapter. Tried also m42 to m43 adapter straight to my camera, same problems...

But soon I will change my RJ lens turbo to Metabones Speedbooster XL (EF-m43). And then use my m42 lenses with m42-EF adapters. 

What m42 to EF adapter is best? Or does it even matter?

I don't need those focus confirmation chips on my adapters. Just want the one that is though and precise fit and reaches infinity focus.I will be using old russian m42 lenses with GH4+Metabones Speedbooster XL (EF to m43).

Two questions:

I have a question for people who own a copy of Mir-1 B russian lens. Does your copy have issues with infinity focus?

My Mir-1 B isn't reaching infinity focus and actually I feel it won't reach like 10m away. Is there anything to do with it or should I just use it as paper weight?

I use it on my GH4 with RJ lens turbo (FD to m43). Mir-1 B has m42 to FD adapter. Tried also m42 to m43 adapter straight to my camera, same problems...

But soon I will change my RJ lens turbo to Metabones Speedbooster XL (EF-m43). And then use my m42 lenses with m42-EF adapters. 

What m42 to EF adapter is best? Or does it even matter?

I don't need those focus confirmation chips on my adapters. Just want the one that is though and precise fit and reaches infinity focus.I will be using old russian m42 lenses with GH4+Metabones Speedbooster XL (EF to m43).

Normally the adaptors are quite generous & you need to dial back from Infinity to actually get infinity - could this be your problem?

But if you're not even getting infinity, then it might be the lens - Russain lenses didn't have the best quality control & sometimes you have to buy more than one copy to get a good one.

Try dialing back first - that's the usual thing that trips people up.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with your adapter set-up. I had a problem recently with Jupiters in M39 mount. The dedicated M39 to M43 mount didn't work, it wouldn't let me focus closer than 3m away or so. The M39 adapter was almost C-mount adapter-like thin. What I did to solve is put a M42 thread on the M39 lens mount and use the M42 to M43 adapter. So somewhere in your adapter arrangement something's going wrong.

Hi

Re: follow focus, I think the problem is more to do with the focus on the pre ai nikkors are kind of narrow and no plastic tie type gear rings might fit on them

I'd recommend 3D printing focus rings for your lenses. That way you can make the diameter of the focus ring much wider than the diameter of the lens itself. This will help extend the relative focus throw. For info on how to do that, I got all the info from this thread on another forum.

Second, re: follow focus, I can highly recommend the Fotga DP500 2S -- it's lighter weight than the Kamerar recommended earlier in the thread (which was copied from the Gini Rigs version that i once owned). The Fotga comes with 3 different sized gears that you can swap to help manage lenses with short focus throws. There are a lot of different model fotga FF's out there so make sure to get the 500 2S, which has all of the features I mentioned above and a quick-swap rail block. This follow focus by Lensse also looks interesting and they sell an optional larger gear which will help extend those focus throws.

fotgaFF.jpg

I want to grab one of the Samsung pancake lenses soon, They all seem to be great and I love what I'm seeing, but I'm not seeing a whole lot from these lenses and the nx-1.

nx-1 users, which pancakes have you used, and what did you think?

I'm debating picking up the 20mm or 30mm soon.

I had the 16mm, great lens.

Anyway the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 art is impossible to use on the nx1 with aperture control right? I see that it has no aperture lever on the back.

• Super Members

I had the 16mm, great lens.

Anyway the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 art is impossible to use on the nx1 with aperture control right? I see that it has no aperture lever on the back.

You can control the aperture if its a Nikon mounted lens. They all have the aperture leaver underneath that the adapter can acess.

Any who, speaking of Nikon and adapters, tonight is experiment night.... 

IMG_20151116_184353.md.jpg

Quick test, bit soft of course. But dreamy :)

a0000264.md.jpg

You can control the aperture if its a Nikon mounted lens. They all have the aperture leaver underneath that the adapter can acess.

Any who, speaking of Nikon and adapters, tonight is experiment night.... 

IMG_20151116_184353.md.jpg

Quick test, bit soft of course. But dreamy :)

a0000264.md.jpg

That is some Frankenrig you have there. I think the shots looks really organic. Good stuff! Look forward to seeing some exteriors. 

If you have the Nikon mount sigma, you should be fine.

Currently using a Nikon G adapter on my nx1 to use the tokina 11-16 2.8.

Mattias, can't wait to see the footage:)

I have a spinning 35mm adapter sitting at the bottom of my closet, let's bring em back!

which adapter are you using ?novoflex ?