Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lens did not fill the sensor even though it fitted... Yeah.... I really feel like crap.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I put ML onto my eos-m today and it has the 3X crop like the t3i. I am able to use 6mm c-mount lenses with it. Maybe that could be an option for you. 

same as gh4, almost s16.

I have been googling the crop factor for use with c-mount lenses but I haven't been able to find much. Have you tested any c-mounts in the G7... I am interested in how wide you can go before it vignettes. I bought a c to nx adapter for my nx500 for some macro shots and they look great in 4K. 

• Super Members

I have been googling the crop factor for use with c-mount lenses but I haven't been able to find much. Have you tested any c-mounts in the G7... I am interested in how wide you can go before it vignettes. I bought a c to nx adapter for my nx500 for some macro shots and they look great in 4K. 

No I havent tested any personaly. But I can do that after the weekend.

In the meantime there are plenty of gh4 c-Mount examples on youtube.

I would like to hear some suggestions/opinnions about m42 russian lenses.

So I am looking to build up characterful russian lens set. My "normal" lens set is full set of Canon FD primes. But I really like lenses with a lot of character. I am planing to use them as a "special look" set and also with anamorphic lenses (iscomorphot 8/1.5x and Kowa 8z 2x) as a taking lens.

I already have Helios 44-2 58mm/2.0 but here is list which I have been thinking to add to the set:

Mir 1-B 37mm/2.8

Volna-9 50mm/2.8 (because macro and special starshape bokeh in mid apertures)

Jupiter-9 85mm/2.0

---

What other lenses would you recommend for this kind of set?

Things I am looking from these "special" lenses are:

-milky look

-flares!

-colorful

-bokeh character

-just lovely vintage look

Tair-11(A), Jupter-11, Jupiter-8, Jupiter-3, Industar-61L/Z, Industar-50-2 and perhaps Helios 40-2 (newly produced). Pretty sure I'm missing a few. But yeah, the Mir-1 and Jupiter-9 for sure! Maybe look into Meyer-Optik Görlitz, like their soapbubble Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 (which is a cheaper way into it than the Trioplans), they have some interesting character as well.

Tair-11(A), Jupter-11, Jupiter-8, Jupiter-3, Industar-61L/Z, Industar-50-2 and perhaps Helios 40-2 (newly produced). Pretty sure I'm missing a few. But yeah, the Mir-1 and Jupiter-9 for sure! Maybe look into Meyer-Optik Görlitz, like their soapbubble Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 (which is a cheaper way into it than the Trioplans), they have some interesting character as well.

tair-11 a or jupiter-11 could be one to consider. Those would fill the place for tele lenses. Helios 40-2 is definetly one I would like to have some day. But the Jupiter-9 can be that focal length for now... Industar-61 L/Z is almost same as Volna-9 but the Volna-9 can focus a bit closer so it wins for me. Jupiter-8 and 3 are quite unfamiliar for me, maybe... Industar 50-2 is quite small, bit slow and not so much character in the footage I have seen from it.

Domiplan 50 2.8 sounds interesting if it has the famous "soapbubble" effect. 

Thanks for the tips! :)

I got an idea I'm going to try exploring too. I got some FD lenses that are easily replaceable. I got an ultra wide F/3.5 FD 17mm and a 50mm F/1.4 and I may just want to switch the flanges and some of the parts of that lens and use it on the back of the expensive lens. I'm going to mess with this lens to get the most out of it. I've seen people dig deep into lenses and fix them. I'm announcing this to say I think I may still have a chance.

Zach, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the mount has nothing to do with the lens not working, it doesn't work because the lens was designed for a 2/3rds inch camera. That lens will only project an image of that size. Your only options are to return the lens and get your money back, crop the image in post, or change cameras that have a crop mode... The t3i, the eos-m with ML, the G7 in crop, etc... For that money you spent, you really should just return it and get a BMPCC. That camera has everything you want out of the box. You then will have plenty of money to pick up some vintage c-mount lenses, or the SLR Magic, to give you the look you're after. 

Cinematographers are the worse... Optical engineering is where it's at.

So he's going to add a teleconverter to it and charge you another grand...

Have you ever heard the phrase... A fool and his money will soon be parted?

Don't be a fool.

You don't need an optical engineer... You need a camera that will utilize that useless chunk of glass you just spent a small fortune on.