Lenses

Andrew Reid

Yes they are amazing and very sharp too! I have 3 old Zeiss the Jena 35mm 2.4, Pancolar 50mm 1.8 and Biometar 80mm 2.8 medium format which they actually used in Hollywood I read!! All very sharp even fully open and yes they certainly give you that cinematic dimension and muted contrast, not that the colours are lower but they're just different, vintage and creamy esp the Pancolar. The Flektagon Jena 35mm 2.4f is the best though, probably the best lens ever made imo, honestly everything looks very special through that lens but that's no secret!

yeah, there really is something special about these lenses. i am really looking forward to getting that zebra pancolar. i had the 35mm 2.4 but recently sold it because i was short on funds. i am hoping to replace it with the 35mm 2.8 zebra version if a nice one pops up for the right price. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Oh wow, ZY Optics/Zhongyi is teasing something crazy for M43. A 25mm f/0.95 pancake!

Nb4969H.jpg

~ https://www.facebook.com/zyoptics/photos/a.1553583991526634.1073741829.1540141352870898/1646130092272023/?type=1

- edit:

Well, maybe not quite that pancake, but tiny & impressive nontheless! Price comes in at roughly 400 USD?

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.xitek.cn%2Fforum

Impressive! Something's got to give, though...you can't have a huge aperture, small size, and great performance. Pick 2. :d

Impressive! Something's got to give, though...you can't have a huge aperture, small size, and great performance. Pick 2. :d

Well, they're not known for their sharpness... but they are known for their interesting almost vintage character and bright lenses!

While the mentioned Mitakon is now up for pre-order at a 399 USD price point, there's some other news.

From no other than Zeiss! A new ZE / ZF.2 line-up under the name 'Milvus' covering full frame and come in either Canon EF or Nikon F mount.

Mention for video use:

Unique to the ZF.2 Nikon F mount lenses is the ability to de-click the apertures, enabling smooth control that is well suited to video shooting, a major growth area in DSLRs. Zeiss has also made other enhancements that will help streamline the videographer’s workflow, including color matching throughout the line and consistent performance throughout focusing distances. Benefitting both stills and video are an improved coating to further control ghosting and flare, and exceptional resolving power that ensures maximum quality, with high-resolution imaging sensors and 4K video cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/zeiss-milvus-lens

They're in the reach of 1100~1900 each. Want a f/1.4? There's a 50 & 85mm for that. The widest is a 21mm f/2.8. And the remaining f/2s come in at 35, 50 and 100mm.

Interesting... just not sure about the 'rubber focusing ring' for video...

- video:

Well, they're not known for their sharpness... but they are known for their interesting almost vintage character and bright lenses!

Since I can get the SLR Magic 25mm t/0.95 for the same money, I don't think it's for me. Those on a stricter weight budget? I'd be looking hard at this...and waiting to see how it performs stopped down. :) 

Here's a lens test I did with my Minolta MC 35mm f/1.8

Although I really like this lens, I got a good deal on the MD 28mm f2, which makes more sense with my NX500, so I decided to sell this one. I am going to list it on the gear page later and also on eBay, if there's any interest. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I finally got what I dreamed of having. It was quite a struggle but I managed to get it. I'd like to thank my father and grandparents for helping me with it. They did it all. I managed to get a good deal on this lens for $1,535. I'm going to keep it for the rest of my life.

19682_758017300985392_6595849758929537688_n.jpg

why this one?

What makes you think it will cover the sensor? Just curious.

That was actually an old assumption. I assumed he knew it was an original BNCR mount lens, but I think it's pretty safe to say the lens was remounted. So, I highly doubt it will cover the sensor and not a hundred percent sure he'll get infinity focus with the lens. 

The NASA quote above is cute, but also gave it away a bit too easily.

The mystery lens is almost certainly a 25-120mm K35 zoom with a 2.4x speedbooster to work on the Ikegami EC-35 2/3'' vacuum tube camera. (The Kubrick lens is a 70mm f1 with a 0.7x speedbooster adapting to 50mm f0.7–or close to it.) Coverage is unusually good for S35 on the original K35 zoom, but I would be VERY VERY surprised if this covered S35/APS-C. That's crazy to assume it would. If it does I'm SHOCKED.

That said, there are two possibilities:

After the speedbooster group is removed and the mount is modified, this becomes a 25-120mm K35 zoom with incorrect markings, making $1.5k an insane steal. That is IF the optical design is really that simple and it's possible to take it apart and retrofit with a PL mount for under $1k or whatever.

If it's not simply as a 25-120mm K35 with a condenser and is actually an entirely different lens, it's still a pretty awesome lens on the t3i with 3x crop mode, giving the genuine K35 look. It might even cover the BMPCC. But the cost of adapting the mount for infinity focus is still there.

The NASA quote above is cute, but also gave it away a bit too easily.

The mystery lens is almost certainly a 25-120mm K35 zoom with a 2.4x speedbooster to work on the Ikegami EC-35 2/3'' vacuum tube camera. (The Kubrick lens is a 70mm f1 with a 0.7x speedbooster adapting to 50mm f0.7–or close to it.) Coverage is unusually good for S35 on the original K35 zoom, but I would be VERY VERY surprised if this covered S35/APS-C. That's crazy to assume it would. If it does I'm SHOCKED.

That said, there are two possibilities:

After the speedbooster group is removed and the mount is modified, this becomes a 25-120mm K35 zoom with incorrect markings, making $1.5k an insane steal. That is IF the optical design is really that simple and it's possible to take it apart and retrofit with a PL mount for under $1k or whatever.

If it's not simply as a 25-120mm K35 with a condenser and is actually an entirely different lens, it's still a pretty awesome lens on the t3i with 3x crop mode, giving the genuine K35 look. It might even cover the BMPCC. But the cost of adapting the mount for infinity focus is still there.

I don't know a lot about these old lenses, but I have a feeling it was originally a c-mount TV lens. I have a couple old Canon TV lenses and they aren't marked TV lenses, but that's exactly what they are. I believe it to be a 2/3rds or 1 inch. The key is in the "J5x" marking on the lens. There is a site that lists what these numbers refer to on old, Canon TV lenses... I just can't find it right now.

The other concern is the seller has been attempting to sell this lens for years and the drop in price has been pretty steady. I would assume if it was a viable option, someone over at Red User would have bought it by now. 

The funny thing is, my interest in the usability of this, for his sake, is irrelevant right now. He's a big boy and he was given information by a lot of people. My interest lies in the mystery of the lens, unfortunately we may never know. I doubt he will come on here and post everybody was right and supply a bunch of pics so we can get a better look at it. 

With all that being said, I really do hope it works for him, I just have my doubts. 

I don't know a lot about these old lenses, but I have a feeling it was originally a c-mount TV lens. I have a couple old Canon TV lenses and they aren't marked TV lenses, but that's exactly what they are. I believe it to be a 2/3rds or 1 inch. The key is in the "J5x" marking on the lens. There is a site that lists what these numbers refer to on old, Canon TV lenses... I just can't find it right now.

The other concern is the seller has been attempting to sell this lens for years and the drop in price has been pretty steady. I would assume if it was a viable option, someone over at Red User would have bought it by now. 

The funny thing is, my interest in the usability of this, for his sake, is irrelevant right now. He's a big boy and he was given information by a lot of people. My interest lies in the mystery of the lens, unfortunately we may never know. I doubt he will come on here and post everybody was right and supply a bunch of pics so we can get a better look at it. 

With all that being said, I really do hope it works for him, I just have my doubts. 

The mystery lens has the same housing as a 25-120mm t2.8 K35 zoom (EXACTLY) and is made for the Ikegami EC-35, the first "film look" video camera, which has a 2/3" sensor and had lenses specially made by Canon to match film lenses. Makes sense then that it's a 25-120mm t2.8 K35 zoom with a focal reducer bringing it to a 10.5-50mm t1.6.

If the focal reducer can be removed and a PL mount retrofitted (and markings repainted), it's a K35 zoom.

But it might not simply be a focal reducer....

But the lens was definitely made for 2/3" cameras, the Ikegami EC-35 in particular.

The mystery lens has the same housing as a 25-120mm t2.8 K35 zoom (EXACTLY) and is made for the Ikegami EC-35, the first "film look" video camera, which has a 2/3" sensor and had lenses specially made by Canon to match film lenses. Makes sense then that it's a 25-120mm t2.8 K35 zoom with a focal reducer bringing it to a 10.5-50mm t1.6.

If the focal reducer can be removed and a PL mount retrofitted (and markings repainted), it's a K35 zoom.

But it might not simply be a focal reducer....

But the lens was definitely made for 2/3" cameras, the Ikegami EC-35 in particular.

Sounds solid. I found the link to the site I was referring to and yes the J prefix does indicate the lens is for a 2/3 sensor. 

http://www.c-mountlens.com/lenses/c-mount-lens-brands-a-e/canon/