Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Great thread everyone, really wonderful stuff.

I recently got a Nikon 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 AF-D. Not an expensive lens it cost 150 euros.

If you are looking for an affordable full frame zoom, this thing is astonishingly good. Really surprised with it.

It's sharp, very little distortion considering the range. Less distortion than most £600 modern Canon or Nikon zooms.

It's parfocal, so focus doesn't shift when you zoom out. Very rare trait in such a cheap lens and great for video shooters.

It's macro abilities are INSSSSAAANE!! 2:1 macro at 105mm at the flick of a switch. Macro range goes from 50-105mm. What modern zoom does this? The only downside is that it doesn't focus as closely at the wide end, 28mm.

F3.5-F4.5 becomes a much more attractive aperture on a Speed Booster. On a full frame sensor it's fine because you're still getting a very shallow DOF and these sensors tend to have very good higher ISO performance as well - in that respect F4-ish isn't too far off F2.8 if compensated by raising the ISO a bit.

It has a manual aperture ring so you can use it via a cheap passive adapter on pretty much anything, even my Samsung NX1 likes it.

I use it on my Nikon D750 the most, often for stills where the AF isn't too shabby for an older lens. It dates back to 1999.

Highly recommended.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, everyone. My first post, been a long time reader of course. I have used your guys recommendations before and won't hesitate to again! Andrew, that 28-105 looks nice and inexpensive. Might try it speedboosted on my gh4. 

Has anyone used the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 before? (pentax k or nikon mount with aperture ring) You can get them used for fairly cheap and I was thinking of trying it speedboosted. Should make for a super fast wide on m43. http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Aspherical-Pentax-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B00005RKSN 

• Administrators

Yeah the Sigma 20mm F1.8 is good for the price. Not quite as good as the Samyang 24mm F1.4 especially in the corners and it distorts more than the Zeiss Jena 20mm F2.8 (which is around the same price) though. If you don't need the faster aperture get the Zeiss, it's superb. Sharp as hell!

I like having both the Nikon and the Tokina even though they are the same focal lengths they both have very good looks that are uniquely different .

The Nikon I like to think has a look like an Arri Zeiss Master Prime - a very modern clean strong blacks v sharp wide open modern cinema glass look like Fincher uses

(they did use this lens on Bourne) 

where as the Tokina has a certain Mojo about it that is probabally more filmic than the Nikon , it just makes everything looks great!! - I always shoot both lenses at f2.8

inside , outside day or night!!    get the Tiffen NDs on it !!

​The 28-70mm is ****ing incredible. Just picked up a second copy. I can't believe how cheap people are willing to sell them for.

iGeYSMm.jpg

Great thread and fascinating to hear all the opinions, insights etc.

Andrew/Andy - I'm currently building myself a set of C/Y Zeiss and to date have the 21mm, 28 (2.8), 35 (2.8), 50 (1.4) and the 28-85mm zoom. I may get the the 85mm (1.4) then I think I'm probably done.

I currently have a GH2 and have a Metabones C/Y-M4/3 Speedbooster but want to use the lenses with other cameras (i.e. an A7S in future). I'm considering getting them modded to Canon EF mount: not so much because I'm planning to buy a Canon camera, but more because C/Y is a dead mount now (unless Kyocera resurrect it!) and EF mount would allow them to be mounted natively on a number of cameras, plus adapted to others. Good move, or no?

I think I read somewhere that Leitax-modded Contax Zeiss lenses aren't compatible with Speedboosters: is this true?

you dont need to have them modified to canon ef mount - just stick a C/Y to canon ef mount adapter on the end of each lens - these cost $15 each on ebay

I do this so I can then then use my Zeiss C/Y mount lenses on my Canon EF- micro 4/3 speedbooster

​I dare say that's certainly a lot cheaper! Are the C/Y-EF adapters really solid though?

They are solid, I just bought a couple of them, but they were a little bit tight when I had to screw them to my Canon EF- micro 4/3 focal reducer, so i just I had to sand them a little bit and then it was good. I also had to put a small piece of paper between the lens and the adapter for it to be tight. I don't know if this has something to do with it but the lens seems to have a problem with focusing to infinity, this has maybe something to do with the adapter I don't really know :/

I do have another problem though, I am using a Mitakon focal reducer and the image is a bit soft when shooting a f/16 and other apertures I don't know if this is normal. The lens I am shooting with is the Contax Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.7

Sorry for chiming in, but I also need some advice of you guys :) Currently i am running arround with my GM1 and the Voigtländer 25mm - awesome combo. In 2015, i want to upgrade to the A7S eventually. Unfortunately, I cant use my Voigtländer on the A7s (although some sites mentioned, that in APS-C mode it could work with only smallest corner coverage issues).

Anyway, since I want to use the A7s in APS-C mode, i am looking for something in the 35mm range (50mm FF equivalent), which should match my style of shooting with the Voigtländer. Quite important to me is the compactness of my setup since i am using it for a 100% for run&gun. I know that i cant beat the GM1 (and i wills till continue using it), but i would love to come close.

Anyone who can recommend me something arround:

- 35mm

- f1.4 - 2.0

- minimum focus distance around 30cm

- focus throw arround 90 degrees

- as short as possible including the adapter (voigtländer is arround 7cm)

At first i thought to go with Leica M glas, but it is super expensive and has a mfd of arround 70cm, which can only be shortened by using a helicoid...

I love Zuiko OM glas, but the adapter is quite long.. FD glas has a smaller adapter, but is bigger.

Ideas anyone? Help is greatly appreciated.

This is my test with the GH4 + Tokina 28-70 + Kowa 2x.  I think the GH4 has the most potential, and it works even better with 4K photo mode recording.  The video was shot 3:2 aspect ratio.  I also had a hacked GH2 then a GH3.  The GH4 by far is the best of all them.

Thank you very much nahua! The video looks very good to my eyes and also heart warming as it is so grey and rainy and cold in Hamburg/Germany :)

This helped me to make up my mind and I will stick to Panasonic and go for the GH4 (instead of A7S or NX1). I also think low light capabilty is ok (if needed I use some

lights anyway).

I had some strange experiences with Zeiss lenses: As they are very popular in C/Y mount I thought it would be an improvment to my old Canons and bought a Zeiss 50mm F 1.4 and a 35 F 2.8 and astonishngly the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and 35mm 2.0 were sharper. So I sold the Zeiss. But what is really strange about Zeiss is that my Zeiss 50mm F 1.4 for Rolleiflex had a totally different rendition/color and was sharper as the C/Y. All togehter simply much better.

I read somewhere that the Zeiss C/Y is different in quality maybe becaus of their producing factory (MMG, AEG, MMJ AEJ)...???

I am just wondering if somebody else was dissapointed with Contax Zeiss lenses?

Thanks Rudolf!  You really can't go wrong with the GH4, or A7S too.  They are all good cameras now.

I used to have Contax Zeiss, sold all of them.  They are very "clinical" in rendering and contrast.  I wanted something warmer so I have moved to Russian lenses and now the Tokina 28-70mm.  The only way you can find out about lenses is to use them unfortunately.

@Andy Lee - I'm looking for another zoom to work with Isco Ultrastars.  The 28-70 is only usable from 50-70mm.  So I'm thinking of a 50-150mm lens, like the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8.  What do you think?  I could use the extra length, but I want the constant aperture.  I know there are Canon FD lenses too, but those are F4.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

That is exactly what I experienced and even worse I did not find them very sharp or mine were not. It is really funny that my (Made in West Germany) Rollei Zeiss also with T* coating has such a different lovely image. A pity that there is no focalrecuder for the Rollei mount. Unfortunately this lens needs to be serviced so I can't post anything. I also own the usual Russian suspects and love their image and the built quality. They also match the aforementione Tokina quite well. If I need something more neutral I use the Canon FD.

@nahua & @Rudolf quite surprised to hear your comments re the C/Y mount Zeiss lenses as I've only ever heard glowing comments about them. Indeed, there's a 259 page (and growing) thread all about them on the Red User's forum in which there's nothing but love for them.

Still, it's all personal preference at the end of the day!

​I do really like Zeiss C/Y lenses they are superb and one of the best ways of getting a modern Zeiss look without breaking the bank .

great colours and superb contrast and blacks and sharp !!

Ive never had any issues with them ......