Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well... I thought it looked pretty good until you posted that...

I meant that it looks really good :)

That's an expression that my dad always used to use when something exceeded his standards or expectations - like if you hired a car but swapped your Toyota for a Lexus and asked if that would be ok.  I guess it doesn't translate well ?

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought you were talking about @Matt Kieley Video Glenn?

Haha, no I thought you may have thought that. 

@Matt Kieley ‘s video looks great! I was going to ask him if he was planning on getting the P4K, then after watching the video, I was going to ask him not to get it because what he’s doing with the Pocket and Micro is just too good to change. 

16 minutes ago, kye said:

I meant that it looks really good :)

That's an expression that my dad always used to use when something exceeded his standards or expectations - like if you hired a car but swapped your Toyota for a Lexus and asked if that would be ok.  I guess it doesn't translate well ?

Gotcha, my dad used to say that as well when I worked with him. Thanks, BTW... I’m trying a simpler workflow in FCPX with a camera LUT and just some curves. 

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

Gotcha, my dad used to say that as well when I worked with him. Thanks, BTW... I’m trying a simpler workflow in FCPX with a camera LUT and just some curves. 

When did you switch to the simpler workflow?

To me, the colours look basically the same as previous shots you've posted, so if you've changed workflows during that time I didn't notice any difference so you're matching relatively well :)

5 hours ago, mercer said:

So, I was able to get my lead actor to sit through another one of my lens tests. This is the Nikkor 24mm f/2...CFC43FFC-DEF4-46B2-A814-A7D6B0DCFB4B.thumb.jpeg.1080e5425d11ef43ddf560329cdbee98.jpeg

what did you shoot at ? f2 ?

it's a bit soft to me on the skin but if shot at f2 this is normal or maybe he is moving on this shot, some distorsion too on his face but hey this is a 24mm and it isn't bad at all. colors look good.

waiting to see the footage not just an image.

5 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Finally got my hands on a Canon V10X15 15-150 c-mount zoom lens for just $20. I shot this very quick test on the bmpcc (shot wide open) and I love it so far. The lens is pretty big so I'm using rails and the SmallRig lens support. I like the zoom range--10x is the same range as my beloved DVX100 (though the FOV is different). It has nice round bokeh at 2.8 that doesn't have those odd "dips" as the smaller range c-mount zooms I've had (V6X17 and similar Fuji lenses I've had).

B7F9814B-289F-4EC1-AB68-61E36BAF82D9.thumb.jpg.3fffdd1796c48d7dc83cf0057b6e4fc0.jpg

A4587933-1A62-443E-B182-071BCA0F7441.thumb.jpg.12848d5b137d4d4990c7a7cb87e87f4b.jpg

for 20 bucks this is a steal ;)

i like it, retro looks nice bokeh and finaly not perfect and that is why you are gonna love it.

Impulse bought a Pentax 28mm f2 that’s supposed to be a repackaged Contax Zeiss ‘Hollywood’. Not the best decision, since I hear you can get one for 60bucks a few years before but now it goes for a thousand since its rarer nowadays. Saw one for 500  on ebay and snatched it. Here’s the eoshd writeup: https://www.eoshd.com/2013/07/60-pentax-lens-thats-actually-a-800-zeiss-by-designer-of-stanley-kubricks-nasa-glass/

Kinda want to see how it shoots video on my GH and Sony a6500 cams since I dont see any video about it on youtube

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

Impulse bought a Pentax 28mm f2 that’s supposed to be a repackaged Contax Zeiss ‘Hollywood’. Not the best decision, since I hear you can get one for 60bucks a few years before but now it goes for a thousand since its rarer nowadays. Saw one for 500  on ebay and snatched it. Here’s the eoshd writeup: https://www.eoshd.com/2013/07/60-pentax-lens-thats-actually-a-800-zeiss-by-designer-of-stanley-kubricks-nasa-glass/

Kinda want to see how it shoots video on my GH and Sony a6500 cams since I dont see any video about it on youtube

Nice!!  Looking forward to hearing (and seeing?) your impressions when it arrives :)

I kind of like that feeling on eBay when you think you might end up with a bargain, but mostly I just pay too much and don't know what I'm doing! ???

2 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Sweet!!! Get yourself the SMC Pentax K 50mm 1.4 to go with it... a nice lens as well.

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

what did you shoot at ? f2 ?

it's a bit soft to me on the skin but if shot at f2 this is normal or maybe he is moving on this shot, some distorsion too on his face but hey this is a 24mm and it isn't bad at all. colors look good.

waiting to see the footage not just an image

Yeah, I shot that wide open at f/2.

I think you’re probably right on both accounts. He was moving and I added zero sharpening. ML Raw doesn’t have any Sharpening and I forgot to add some default. The one thing I do miss is the Midtone Detail function in Resolve which adds a little crunch to skin and takes away that smoothness but for a wide open, fast Nikkor ai-s lens, I was surprised by how sharp it is.

I’m in the process of putting together a teaser for my film. So stay tuned for a moving image.

9 hours ago, kye said:

When did you switch to the simpler workflow?

To me, the colours look basically the same as previous shots you've posted, so if you've changed workflows during that time I didn't notice any difference so you're matching relatively well :)

Yeah, I have like two tricks so I can make most footage look either way with any NLE... skillz. 

But seriously, I am just trying some different things. I prefer coloring in FCPX, I think the curves are smoother but I think I prefer processing the footage through Resolve better than MLV App. MLV App is just too slow. I wish I could get the LogC curve in Resolve. My next test is to use the CST that Juan Melara uses in Resolve. I tested it once a while back and with just a simple LogC to Rec709 LUT and an S-Curve I came up with this...8927DD13-68EF-4392-8BAB-DFE0EC211595.thumb.jpeg.6b35c07aee84fceb7c7089ee76ea82ca.jpeg

That was shot with either the Canon 24-70mm f/4 or the 35mm f/2... I forget. 

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I have like two tricks so I can make most footage look either way with any NLE... skillz. 

But seriously, I am just trying some different things. I prefer coloring in FCPX, I think the curves are smoother but I think I prefer processing the footage through Resolve better than MLV App. MLV App is just too slow. I wish I could get the LogC curve in Resolve. My next test is to use the CST that Juan Melara uses in Resolve. I tested it once a while back and with just a simple LogC to Rec709 LUT and an S-Curve I came up with this...8927DD13-68EF-4392-8BAB-DFE0EC211595.thumb.jpeg.6b35c07aee84fceb7c7089ee76ea82ca.jpeg

That is a really nice shot..  even working in the landscape photographers S-curve from the waterline into it :)  and of course, ML makes the image quality look effortless!

Maybe you can process the footage in Resolve and get a LogC output..  Do they give you the Colour Space Transform OFX plugin in the free version?  If so, you could pull everything into the timeline, set whatever RAW settings on each shot you wanted, then in the Colour page, go to the Timeline node editor (instead of the Clip one) and using the transform plugin convert the shots to LogC before exporting all the shots as separate files?  If you output as a 12-bit codec (I don't think there are 14-bit codec options but maybe there are?) then you shouldn't lose too much colour info in the conversion.  I know that LogC can be quite flat as it's designed to hold a lot of stops of DR, so higher bit depths are preferred.

The only question in that workflow is what colour space to transform it from, because Canon RAW isn't a colour space in that list.  You seem to be pretty locked-on to the look you're going for, so maybe just cycle through the list and see what gets you closest?  I've graded ML RAW footage in Resolve and couldn't find any definitive answer on what to use, but there were a few options that looked about right.

In terms of having 'skillz', if someone can get the look they're after from any NLE with only a couple of changes, those are skills indeed!

Edit: just worked out CST means Colour Space Transform lol.   Sounds like you're on the path already :)

Thanks @kye !!! I am going for this “look” due to the film I’m working on. Great tips for Resolve... of course some of it was Greek to me, but I will look into this. The JM method required a lot of nodes and transfers from Linear to Log. Since ML Raw is linear, IDK if that method helped with that shot or not. Prepare yourself for a PM, if you don’t mind?

48 minutes ago, mercer said:

Looks amazing!

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks @kye !!! I am going for this “look” due to the film I’m working on. Great tips for Resolve... of course some of it was Greek to me, but I will look into this. The JM method required a lot of nodes and transfers from Linear to Log. Since ML Raw is linear, IDK if that method helped with that shot or not. Prepare yourself for a PM, if you don’t mind?

Ah, Linear - of course.

PM away, happy to help.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Nice!!  Looking forward to hearing (and seeing?) your impressions when it arrives :)

I kind of like that feeling on eBay when you think you might end up with a bargain, but mostly I just pay too much and don't know what I'm doing! ???

Yeah will post some pics and try to create a vid using it. Just beating around the bush which cheap adaptor should I buy for m43 & sony. Or maybe just buy a pentax to Canon one since I also have a Viltrox speedbooster and a Sigma MC-11 adapter.

Most of the time when I see bargains, I try to overthink coz the item might be too good to be true. Then I rationalize that what Im buying is a bargain and buy it. Then after a few days, a cheaper version will pop up and then regret my decisions :lol:

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Sweet!!! Get yourself the SMC Pentax K 50mm 1.4 to go with it... a nice lens as well.

Actually already have the Takumar 50mm 1.4. Are they the same? But still can't test it coz I'm thinking if I can just buy a Pentax to Canon adaptor, since I already have a Viltrox speedbooster for m43 and Sigma mc-11 for Sony, or separate M42 adaptors for M43 and Sony

13 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Yeah will post some pics and try to create a vid using it. Just beating around the bush which cheap adaptor should I buy for m43 & sony. Or maybe just buy a pentax to Canon one since I also have a Viltrox speedbooster and a Sigma MC-11 adapter.

Most of the time when I see bargains, I try to overthink coz the item might be too good to be true. Then I rationalize that what Im buying is a bargain and buy it. Then after a few days, a cheaper version will pop up and then regret my decisions :lol:

Actually already have the Takumar 50mm 1.4. Are they the same? But still can't test it coz I'm thinking if I can just buy a Pentax to Canon adaptor, since I already have a Viltrox speedbooster for m43 and Sigma mc-11 for Sony, or separate M42 adaptors for M43 and Sony

Yeah that’s actually what’s interesting about the SMC “K” versions... they’re the same lenses as the Takumars but in a K mount and they didn’t use Thorium glass, so the glass won’t yellow. The 28mm f/2 and your Takumar should match nicely. Two legendary lenses. If you pick up the Tak 85mm 1.8 or 1.9 or the 105mm... you’ll have a nice little set. The Fotodiox Pro M42 to EF adapters are really solid. So you can stack on your Viltrox.