Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That 50mm f/2 tho! :grin:

Did you every try the Summicron-R 50mm f/2 or are you afraid to fall in love with the more expensive Leica lenses?

Im loving the nikkor 50mm f2 out of all the nikkor 50s ! Especially since I hear it mirrors the design of the leica 50mm f2 summicron. I have never tried a leica lens but I am seriously tempted. Leica lenses will make you go bankrupt just looking at them im terrified to try one out ??

Although the Summicron-R 50mm f/2 is a nice actually quite affordable starter. But it's the rest of a matching set that's going to get you in trouble. :P Think the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s is the only somewhat older Nikon prime I have. It's dang good. Those older classics look pretty solid there too!

@Cinegain they 28mm f2.8 is a beast ! I got its older & slower brother the nikkor auto 28mm f3.5. Both of these lenses create great images and I love how the speedbooster sharpens them up. Im probably gonna invest in some fujinon or zeiss tevidon primes. Im still very curious about the rendering of c-mount lenses

Agreed! :grin:

C-mount is interesting, you'll find some budget options here for example: https://rocksphoto.aliexpress.com/store/group/Camera-Lenses/701997_500545195.html . They sure do have quirky character... but more in a sort of toy lens kinda way, not really super interesting bokeh or anything.

Am sure the Fujinon and Zeiss have some stellar ones tho, never really looked into that much. What are the benefits over other regular 35mm covering vintage primes? Smaller & quirkier? Am always scared for the vignetting 'n stuff and throwing away precious sensor info cropping in hurts my soul, lol. For me the Russian Zenits are the best for some weird character at fair prices.

Bioskop.Inc

"The only other consideration might be to go the Medium Format lens route & I've been really impressed by some of these lenses recently - anyone have experience with MF lenses? (Looking for budget conscious lenses btw)"

I have been having a look at the same prospect as Pentacon six to Canon or Nikon adaptors are easy to find

Zeiss Jena Pentacon six medium format for video

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/vintage-zeiss-glass-on-modern-cameras/

Mamiya 67 lenses on a Nikon D810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFh2-rwqeg

• Super Members
4 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Mattias Burling I had to take another look at your kipon medium format speedbooster overview and I am amazed at the look of those shots. Its beyond full frame, the rendering looks like a painting !

They are very fun for sure. I love to zoom in on the picture above and see how she has a long hair stuck in the side of her mounth. It drifts in and out of focus on its way down since its such a SDOF and it is tack sharp. I mean its a hair. Thats resolution and detail imo :)

I got the Tokina RMC 17mm 3.5 lens, as well as a cheap-ass Pixco Focal Reducer:

Tokina_17mm_1.thumb.jpg.cce3449289104d406135bf1e3e4ee336.jpg

f/3.5

Tokina_17mm_2.thumb.jpg.0bb7a949f2d632834fb5c745c92ac8b3.jpg

f/5.6

I love the look and feel of this lens, even wide open. It has crazy lens flares that I kinda love:

Tokina_17mm_3.thumb.jpg.4aac4a150946b302743570f568c963bb.jpg

I usually see this lens going for like +/-$200-ish on ebay, this one was in pristine condition, listed "buy it now" for $115, and I had been thinking of getting a vintage wide prime to go with my other FD lenses, so I jumped on it. NO REGRETS!

2 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I got the Tokina RMC 17mm 3.5 lens, as well as a cheap-ass Pixco Focal Reducer:

Tokina_17mm_1.thumb.jpg.cce3449289104d406135bf1e3e4ee336.jpg

f/3.5

Tokina_17mm_2.thumb.jpg.0bb7a949f2d632834fb5c745c92ac8b3.jpg

f/5.6

I love the look and feel of this lens, even wide open. It has crazy lens flares that I kinda love:

Tokina_17mm_3.thumb.jpg.4aac4a150946b302743570f568c963bb.jpg

I usually see this lens going for like +/-$200-ish on ebay, this one was in pristine condition, listed "buy it now" for $115, and I had been thinking of getting a vintage wide prime to go with my other FD lenses, so I jumped on it. NO REGRETS!

I also have that lens and love it. It mixes well with the newer AT-X zooms as well. If you can find a good price on one, the 24-40mm f2.8 is one of my favorites.

Watch with that Pixco outdoors though... you may get the blue blob flare. 

41 minutes ago, mercer said:

Watch with that Pixco outdoors though... you may get the blue blob flare. 

I just did a test for the blue spot. It seemed to only happen with the aperture stopped down to f/16. When I used an ND and shot wide open it didn't seem to be there. The spot only seemed to appear the more I stopped down.

F/16, no ND:

pixco_blue_spot_no_ND.thumb.jpg.b087ca9de6d84b0dc2c4a3d4d6807692.jpg

f/2.8 w/ Hoya ProND 4-stop:

pixco_blue_spot_ND.thumb.jpg.fded7c82e724316198890d8e6240020f.jpg

I'm sure the better speed boosters won't require you to shoot wide open, but for the price, this is a good enough solution for me.

5 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

I just did a test for the blue spot. It seemed to only happen with the aperture stopped down to f/16. When I used an ND and shot wide open it didn't seem to be there. The spot only seemed to appear the more I stopped down.

F/16, no ND:

pixco_blue_spot_no_ND.thumb.jpg.b087ca9de6d84b0dc2c4a3d4d6807692.jpg

f/2.8 w/ Hoya ProND 4-stop:

pixco_blue_spot_ND.thumb.jpg.fded7c82e724316198890d8e6240020f.jpg

I'm sure the better speed boosters won't require you to shoot wide open, but for the price, this is a good enough solution for me.

Nice, I had a cheap one and it not only caused a blue spot, but also a blue veiling flare wide open. And I am a lazy operator, I only shoot wide open with a fader ND.