Lenses

Andrew Reid

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, Glenn! I sent 4K from the G85 to the BMD Video Assist, ProRes 4:2:2 1080p. 

Interesting. Do you know if the camera downscaled it like the GH4 does, or does the BM downscale it... not that it matters, just curious.

Love that thick ProRes image. I've been thinking about getting my 2nd E-M5 Mark ii and in the future pairing it with a Ninja Star for ProRes.

Or maybe even my 3rd FZ2500 with a Ninja Star.

LOL. I test and return too many cameras... ugh. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@mercer I'm not really sure about that. I can say you could burn through cards with this, set at regular ProRes, it uses up about one GB/minute, but you probably think that's nothing. ? My iMac churns through the 1080 ProRes files like butter. The YT upload turned out better than I thought it would, the test I uploaded last night looked pretty awful. Not sure why...

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@mercer I'm not really sure about that. I can say you could burn through cards with this, set at regular ProRes, it uses up about one GB/minute, but you probably think that's nothing. ? My iMac churns through the 1080 ProRes files like butter. The YT upload turned out better than I thought it would, the test I uploaded last night looked pretty awful. Not sure why...

Haha yeah, now I think it's nothing, considering I get about 12 minutes on a 64GB card in ML Raw.

Herein lies the problem I am having. I absolutely love my 5D3 and will be keeping it for the plethora of short films I have planned for the next year, but for the times I want to grab and go and quickly edit, with less storage needed, I want a second camera, but everyone I have tested doesn't live up to 5D3 Raw, except for a BM camera, but they come with their own annoying drawbacks I don't feel like dealing with for a casual camera, so my choices have become extremely limited, and in some ways non existent.

How does the IBIS fare with the added weight of the screen?

Also have you ever used the Olympus 17mm 1.8 and/or the SLR Magic 17mm? If so, how do they compare?

@mercer The IBIS is amazing, if anything, I think it's even steadier with the cage and monitor. It is heavy though, and I shot many of the clips with the cage resting on my lap. I don't really own a lot of micro 43 glass, I've never used either of those two lenses. I've got the Nokton 17.5mm, but I've hardly shot with it at all, since it is so difficult to focus. That's the reason I picked up the monitor/recorder.

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@mercer The IBIS is amazing, if anything, I think it's even steadier with the cage and monitor. It is heavy though, and I shot many of the clips with the cage resting on my lap. I don't really own a lot of micro 43 glass, I've never used either of those two lenses. I've got the Nokton 17.5mm, but I've hardly shot with it at all, since it is so difficult to focus. That's the reason I picked up the monitor/recorder.

I'd love the Voigt 17.5mm, but a little too pricy for a casual camera lens.

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Olympus 17/1.8 and 45/1.8.

This is all I ever need on a m4/3 system. So great and so sharp. Affordable to.

The 17 is great and has something I (and others) call mojo, but I dont regret trading it for the Pana 15 for a fraction of a second.

I just spent the morning looking at some videos from the Olly 17mm and the SLR Magic 17mm. At first glance, the SLR Magic seems more cinematic, but that obviously could be due to the skill of the filmmaker. 

Does the Olly 17mm have the clutch design manual focus? And other than the hard stops, how does the focus ring feel in manual mode?

I am pretty certain that the E-M5ii will be my casual camera and I pretty much want a simple, street shooter set up. I may eventually get a Lens Turbo for some of my vintage glass, but for the most part, I don't want to fuss with adapters.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Does the Olly 17mm have the clutch design manual focus? And other than the hard stops, how does the focus ring feel in manual mode?

Yes it has the clutch. Its a bit loose, not voigtlander smooth. More like a Sigma or something. But usable. Its a great street lens since you can zone focus.

An old pic I took with the GX7 and Oly 17mm.

Caos

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:09 AM, mercer said:

I'm narrowing down my choices for a 2nd camera. Right now, it's between two cameras... e-m5 Mark ii or the A7ii. I have decided I definitely want some form of IBIS and I have really enjoyed the humble images coming from both of these cameras. The second cam will be used for casual, family videos and the occasional micro short film and these two cameras seem like capable underdogs and that intrigues me a lot.

So, although I already have too many lenses, I am thinking of different lens alternatives I've never considered. I've never owned an SLR Magic lens but I've seen some great stuff shot with them. 17mm on Micro 4/3 is a nice street shooter focal length, but BH has it listed for BMPCC and states it may not work with other Micro 4/3 cameras.

Last year I had the 25mm Voigtlander and it was one of the nicest lenses I've ever used, so I'd love to get the 17.5mm Voigtlander but I really cannot justify the $800 price tag.

Of course I tend to watch a lot of videos and muse over different cameras on Sunday afternoons, so my choices may change completely in a few days or weeks... or even a few hours. Lol. 

While I think the Oly would be better for video, for stills the A7ii would be better.       The A7ii also gives you dual use with your lenses with both FF and APSC modes.

Native lenses can be more expensive though there are some very good lenses that are no dearer than the better M43 lenses and of course you don't need as fast a lens for subject isolation.      While it is also around $800, the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 is a wonderful lens (and gives you 55 FF and aprox 85mm APSC).       I just got the FE 85 1.8 and it is also an extremely nice lens for the price (a bit less than the 55 1.8).      5.6 lenses FF can still give quite decent subject isolation in some cases.

7 hours ago, noone said:

While I think the Oly would be better for video, for stills the A7ii would be better.       The A7ii also gives you dual use with your lenses with both FF and APSC modes.

Native lenses can be more expensive though there are some very good lenses that are no dearer than the better M43 lenses and of course you don't need as fast a lens for subject isolation.      While it is also around $800, the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 is a wonderful lens (and gives you 55 FF and aprox 85mm APSC).       I just got the FE 85 1.8 and it is also an extremely nice lens for the price (a bit less than the 55 1.8).      5.6 lenses FF can still give quite decent subject isolation in some cases.

Thanks for the reply. I have really liked what I have seen from the A7ii, even though I may be the only one that thinks this is a video underdog. I guess compared to the fantastic a7s, it seems a silly choice, but I already own the 5D3 and started investing in Canon glass, so the point of the second camera is to get a pick up and go camera... so IBIS is vital.

The Olympus definitely wins on that front with the superior IBIS, but I am fond of the floaty variant on the A7ii as well. And I must say that after shooting full frame for the first time, I finally get the appeal of it.

The big problem with the A7ii is that I can get an a6500 for the same price and have 4K and better IBIS. If I could get one for a6300 money, it would be a no brainer and I'd go the a6500 route.

Since IBIS is at the top of my feature list, I only have 5 options...

• GX85

• E-M5 Mark II

• G85

• a6500

• A7ii

Honestly, even with the 4K, I just don't want another Panasonic right now. Every other camera I bought over the past two years was a Panasonic and I eventually either sold it or returned it. 

So that leaves me with either the E-M5ii, the a6500 or the A7ii. Since this is supposed to be a casual camera, I don't see the point in spending close to $1500 for one of the Sony's and to be honest, I don't want to get something that is too good either. I am actually a big fan of the a6500 4K... it blows my mind how sharp it is, but the Raw on the 5D3 blows my mind how cinematic it is, but knowing me, I would start reaching for the simpler, 4K camera more than I will the 5D3, and I think that will hurt my work in the long run.

If only I had all the money and time in the world, I'd own a 5D3, an e-m1mk2, a GH5, an a7s, an X-T1, a C100, a C200 and an Alexa Mini... I bet the Alexa Mini would take great cat videos and rack focus shots of dead leaves...

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes it has the clutch. Its a bit loose, not voigtlander smooth. More like a Sigma or something. But usable. Its a great street lens since you can zone focus.

An old pic I took with the GX7 and Oly 17mm.

Caos

Cool shot, you pulled some nice detail out of that considering the high contrast scenario. Do you have any videos taken with the 17mm?

16 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

That legendary "mercers 12.5mm Fujinon"! No need for me to hunt for it anymore, since I bought the SLRMagic 12mm. Or am I at the beginning of a 12mm GAS now?:)

I found different lenses of a Fujinon 12.5mm lens on ebay, some made in China, some in Bangladesh, looking pretty different from one another.

Could you post a link to the right version? I remember you wrote that optical quality is very good. Do you still have it? If so, I would definately support your

choice of a MFT camera as your second cam. :)

This video gives a good idea regarding Tevidon lenses and their coverage of m43 image circle. The 25mm looking pretty good, the 16mm not fully covering:

Thanks Marty, I saw that video but he doesn't have any samples with the 16mm, so I was unsure if there is coverage. I letterbox everything anyway, so even some dark corners will usually work for my tastes. The Fujinon 12.5mm f/1.4 does indeed fully cover the 4K frame with the G7, GX85, so I assume it works with the GH4 and G85 as well, but I doubt it will with the GH5. With the GX85, due to the IBIS, you can see some sensor blackout, on the sides of the frame, if you pan too fast. Here's a link to the one I have...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/510474480/fujinon-f-14-125mm-tv-lens-i-c-mount-i?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-imaging_and_lighting-cameras_and_imaging-camera_lenses&utm_custom1=29a8702b-e63f-43dc-aa44-47a9f3db3b71&gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMXVjH3DHuQwEYTIjDo7cgupybk7Kr4OowTVP_ZL5wlXs2wkBwNY7oxoC3ugQAvD_BwE

3 hours ago, mercer said:

So that leaves me with either the E-M5ii, the a6500 or the A7ii. Since this is supposed to be a casual camera, I don't see the point in spending close to $1500 for one of the Sony's

I hear you. Yesterday I was checking out the A7s II for the Xth time again, but I dont think I could justify the money. For me it will be short term a G85, because I need that mic-in by end of september. Longer-term (e.g. Q1/2018) I will either get the E-M1 mkII or GH5 (if there is no G85 sucessor with 4k60p until then). I am tempted by the even better IBIS of the oly as well as by the fact that it has the same size as a G85! I yet have to find some convincing stuff shot with the oly though...

20 minutes ago, jase said:

I hear you. Yesterday I was checking out the A7s II for the Xth time again, but I dont think I could justify the money. For me it will be short term a G85, because I need that mic-in by end of september. Longer-term (e.g. Q1/2018) I will either get the E-M1 mkII or GH5 (if there is no G85 sucessor with 4k60p until then). I am tempted by the even better IBIS of the oly as well as by the fact that it has the same size as a G85! I yet have to find some convincing stuff shot with the oly though...

Yup, this is the problem with a lot of these cams. Once you get to a certain price point, you may as well spend a little more, or even double to get the better model. With my rationale, if I spend even a dollar over a thousand, I may as well spend $750 more to get the GH5.

As a narrative filmmaker, the GH5 really is a no brainer with its 10bit. With that being said, I really like the organic look of the e-m1mk2 better. Here's a video I saw from the Olly that I think looks great...

• Super Members
3 hours ago, mercer said:

Cool shot, you pulled some nice detail out of that considering the high contrast scenario. Do you have any videos taken with the 17mm?

I posted a screenshot from the LS300 and the Oly 17mm somewhere and it might be somewhere in one of my videos as well. Just cant remember.

This is shot in full auto with the Pen-F and "graded" in camera with a bunch of presets and toy filters :)
Maybe not showing the best of the lens.. but still.

BTW, regarding the A7ii. I really think you should try it first. Because the video on it if using slog is actually worse than the video from the original A7.
There is so low detail that I think it might start to bother you.

And how much where you planning on buying it for?
Here the A7ii goes pretty close to the X-T20 with the stabilized zoom.
Imo, between A7ii and the X-T20 the later is a no brainer for both video and stills.

39 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I posted a screenshot from the LS300 and the Oly 17mm somewhere and it might be somewhere in one of my videos as well. Just cant remember.

This is shot in full auto with the Pen-F and "graded" in camera with a bunch of presets and toy filters :)
Maybe not showing the best of the lens.. but still.

BTW, regarding the A7ii. I really think you should try it first. Because the video on it if using slog is actually worse than the video from the original A7.
There is so low detail that I think it might start to bother you.

And how much where you planning on buying it for?
Here the A7ii goes pretty close to the X-T20 with the stabilized zoom.
Imo, between A7ii and the X-T20 the later is a no brainer for both video and stills.

Cool video. You are a natural talent with a great eye. Man, I wish you would make a feature narrative. That cool house of yours would be an awesome location for a dark, Swedish thriller.

Yeah, I pretty much talked myself out of the A7ii earlier today... of course I may have talked myself into waiting a couple months and buying a GH5... Ugh... Haha, I'll probably just use only my 5D3... but I do want a camera with IBIS. But like I said to Jase, once I start investing over a thousand into the e-m5mk2, I may as well throw in the extra for the extra features of the GH5. It never ends. 

Have you ever used the SLR Magic 17mm? As of now it seems like I can't go wrong with either the Olly or the SLR Magic. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Cool video. You are a natural talent with a great eye. Man, I wish you would make a feature narrative. That cool house of yours would be an awesome location for a dark, Swedish thriller.

Have you ever used the SLR Magic 17mm? As of now it seems like I can't go wrong with either the Olly or the SLR Magic. 

Actually me and two friends thats won a couple of short film competitions together have wrote a black comedy thriller that takes place in that house during a dark Swedish winter. 

We where gonna shoot it two years ago but Gunpowder needed knee surgery at the time (she is in the movie of course). Last winter we just never got around to it.

Yes ive used the slr 17mm, on the bmpcc. Its nice but the Oly would cover me for stills as well.