Lenses

Andrew Reid

14 hours ago, noone said:

Personally, the 55 1.8 is the lens for me.       It can be found a LOT less than its list price (I paid a lot less even fairly early on) but to me it is worth every cent and has spoilt my lust for older 50-58mm normal lenses (I have had a lot and still have a few that no longer get a look in unless used on my M43 camera).

What about the Samyang 50 1.4 AF FE mount lens if price is an issue?

Also, the 28-70 FE kit lens is a nice enough handy lens (at least on the lower pixel count cameras) and for me, my native E mount lenses are the 55 and 28-70 and will soon add the 85 1.8 and that will do until I add another next year (maybe) with adapted lenses for the rest.

Actually, thanks to a decent job recently, money isn't too much of an issue and I wanted to take the opportunity to invest in some gear for the long term. Nice to hear some good feedback on the 55 1.8, I'm going to have a look into that. As a start, and only really because it was too much of a deal to pass up on, I bought the 28mm f2 from Amazon Prime Day for 319€. Bargain. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I made a quick comparison between the Fuji XF 50mm f2.0 WR and the 56mm f1.2.
The AF is faster on the 50 but surprisingly the 56mm is better for video AF. At least in my test.
But since I never used the AF for video before that, nor since, I don't know for other situations.

Any who, both lenses are great.

On 9.7.2017 at 0:10 PM, jase said:

Guys, I need your advice for yet another "guess the focal length" session:

For sure the first 30sec are GoPro or equiv. But after that...? I really like this immersive feeling and would like to adopt such a thing.

I managed to contact the people who did this video and they were kindly enough to tell me they used a Zeiss Loxia 21mm 2.8 - in case anyone is interested, too :)

33 minutes ago, jase said:

I managed to contact the people who did this video and they were kindly enough to tell me they used a Zeiss Loxia 21mm 2.8 - in case anyone is interested, too :)

Is that mounted on an APS-C camera? If so, it's essentially the same FOV and DOF as your 15mm, isn't it?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Is that mounted on an APS-C camera? If so, it's essentially the same FOV and DOF as your 15mm, isn't it?

Exactly my thought, so I asked them again and they shot it on an A7S II - e.g. i would need a 10,5mm to get this look on my Pana.

Could be APS-C mode, but I doubt that. I honestly dont think that it is too wide. I mean the whole video is shot from a first person perspective with the subjects direct in front of it. I could really imagine the video being shot in fullframe mode.

18 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The AF is faster on the 50 but surprisingly the 56mm is better for video AF. At least in my test.
But since I never used the AF for video before that, nor since, I don't know for other situations.

The 50mm f/2 rocks.

21 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Mattias, I've been thinking of getting the 16mm f/1.4 for a long time now. Do you have any experience with it?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Mattias, I've been thinking of getting the 16mm f/1.4 for a long time now. Do you have any experience with it?

Not first hand, but after discussing it with a friend who has it and who's opinion I trust, I seriously have to fight the urge.

Wouldn't mind that focus scale either. Hopefully it doesn't drift like the 23/2 WR does on the xpro.

I can't seem to find any SLR Magic 10mm videos online that don't look like crap. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'll be posting another video showcasing one of my favorite micro four thirds lenses, the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, in just a couple of weeks.

screen-shot-2017-07-20-at-2-38-16-pm.png