Lenses

Andrew Reid

Hello,

I own the Tokina 11-16mm Nikon F mount lens.  I want to use it on my new Sony A7s.  I would love to follow Andrew's advice and use my Metabones Sony E Mount/NEX to Canon EF Mark IV adaptor along with a simple $10 adapter (link below), but I'm not sure its the correct adaptor as the description reads:  "AF Confirm Nikon AI AF Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Camera Adapter".  The ones that actually say Nikon F mount adapter to Sony Nex do not have AF confirm which won't work as the Tokina does not have its own aperture ring.  Any tips?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032771114

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Alright, as posted in another topic earlier today, I'm looking for a fast manual 50mm prime. 

I can pick up the Yashica 50mm f/1.7 very cheap. How does this lens compare to the Yashica 50mm f/1.4 when stopped down to the same aperture? 

A fast, manual 50mm lens that has stops between f/1.8 and f/2.8, is sharp when stopped down slightly and fairly usable wide open and has a nice feel to it would be fantastic, so any suggestions are welcome!

​There are different Yashica's, DS, DX, DSM, ML....and more. I have both 1.7 and 1.4, I think both are DS.....Perhaps I can put two shots for you tomorrow to compare....As for recommendations - I really like the Olympus OM 1.8 and 1.4 and I think the Pentacon Auto/Electric 50 1.8 of later versions are very good - and very comfortable to work with. I have all three of those too, he he. I had the aperture rings converted to step-less and it's a pleasure. Also - the pentacon focuses at about 0.3m, unlike the standard 0.45

• Super Members

Also since there is discussion about Yashica 50mm.

I shoot alot of medium format film with Yashica cameras. And on the fixed lens cameras from Yashica it's usually "Yashinon" that is the gems over the "Yashikor"

That's why I took the plunge and SSD spent $10 on the 50/1.9.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJVKLbcxuA

It works very well on the NX1 as well.

Hi, I am new here but I have been reading the posts on lenses and I think someone here may be able to help me. I have a Canon EOS-M, a NEX 3N and a Pentax Q7... And a t2i that I am going to sell soon since I stopped using it once I went mirrorless. I use all of my cameras for video only and I have a growing collection of lenses. One lens, in particular, a Canon FL 35mm 3.5 has my head scratching and I was hoping someone may have some history on this lens? It seems like it is a bridge lens between the FL lenses and FD lenses, since it has a rubber focus ring. I also have an older FL 50mm 1.8, with the older, metal, scalloped focus ring, but for some reason I am not getting a similar iq/look between the 2 lenses. Again, I assume the newer 35mm 3.5 has better coatings than the older 50mm 1.8, but I am not certain. The 35mm is stunning. I have a NOS sample and it is easily one of my favorite lenses. From wide open to closed down, the iq is beautiful, very filmic. Would I be better off going with an FD 50mm to match the look of these lenses, or is there also a bridge 50mm lens I am unaware of? Also how would this lens fare on some type of speed booster? Sorry about the long post, but thanks in advance for any insight you guys may have. 

Here is a test with the Jena 35/2.8 I posted earlier. 

Nice video. Amazing locations. To be honest, until recently I was not sold on 4k, but after digesting a bunch of videos, yours included, I can see the weight of the image, even when transcoded down... Maybe especially when downsampled. Really nice Jena lens too. How does the NX handle camera movement?

Damn this video is incredible. Love the ingenious adaptation of the long still lens with the rail adaptions. 

Yeah, that lens was sick. I was just telling a friend of mine that Kubrick's lens choices, and in some ways, creations, was the perfect marriage of craft and creativity. I loved how he used the nasa lens and then had zeiss make a wide angle attachment to go over it, I would imagine you would lose a stop of light, at least, so I guess that .7 f-stop lens was the perfect fit. 

• Super Members

Nice video. Amazing locations. To be honest, until recently I was not sold on 4k, but after digesting a bunch of videos, yours included, I can see the weight of the image, even when transcoded down... Maybe especially when downsampled. Really nice Jena lens too. How does the NX handle camera movement?

Thanks, yes 4k has alot of "kick".

The nx has a rolling shutter so there is alot of jello in 4K. Much less in HD.

IMO after almost a year with the production camera I say, A camera either have a global shutter or it doesn't. I don't compare jello to jello, it's all just plain old jello.

But other than that the NX is imo a great camera and I enjoy shooting with it. I will make a review during the upcoming weeks.

Thanks, yes 4k has alot of "kick".

The nx has a rolling shutter so there is alot of jello in 4K. Much less in HD.

IMO after almost a year with the production camera I say, A camera either have a global shutter or it doesn't. I don't compare jello to jello, it's all just plain old jello.

But other than that the NX is imo a great camera and I enjoy shooting with it. I will make a review during the upcoming weeks.

I am currently toying with the idea of selling off some equipment, a barely used t2i, a couple point and shoots, and some lenses to fund a gh4 or something equivalent. I really like the idea of transcoding the footage down to 1080p 444 prores. Supposedly you can get a 10 bit color depth from the gh4. What is your workflow with the 4k? And to keep this reply relevant to the post, what sized sensor is the Samsung and what are your favorite lenses to use with that camera?

• Super Members

I am currently toying with the idea of selling off some equipment, a barely used t2i, a couple point and shoots, and some lenses to fund a gh4 or something equivalent. I really like the idea of transcoding the footage down to 1080p 444 prores. Supposedly you can get a 10 bit color depth from the gh4. What is your workflow with the 4k? And to keep this reply relevant to the post, what sized sensor is the Samsung and what are your favorite lenses to use with that camera?

I shoot, edit and upload in 4K. On youtube even HD Upscaled to 4K will look better than 4K Downscaled. It's because youtube allows three times as high bitrate to videos flagged as 4K. I have examples on my channel. Before editing I convert the h.265 to Prores LT.

The sensor is aps-c, same as your t2i. Favorite lens so far is the very cheap Yashinon 50/1.9 and the little more expensive ($70) Zeiss Jena. I also have the affordable 30/2 pancake from Samsung. 

I shoot, edit and upload in 4K. On youtube even HD Upscaled to 4K will look better than 4K Downscaled. It's because youtube allows three times as high bitrate to videos flagged as 4K. I have examples on my channel. Before editing I convert the h.265 to Prores LT.

The sensor is aps-c, same as your t2i. Favorite lens so far is the very cheap Yashinon 50/1.9 and the little more expensive ($70) Zeiss Jena. I also have the affordable 30/2 pancake from Samsung. 

I didn't know prores lt could handle 4k. Interesting. You must be using a pretty powerful computer to edit 4k? Are you planning any narrative filmmaking with Samsung in 4k? 

BTW, those are some nice lenses you have. I had a dirty copy of that DS lens I ended up selling once I got an ML variant. I have been using Pentax and Minolta lenses lately with my EOS-M and I really love them. The old Takumars are real nice too, I have a Takumar 20mm 4.5, that you can pretty much walk around handheld with very little camera shake. 

I am sure this lens has been discussed here, but if anyone is looking for a nice little lens, which has a little bit of a cult following, due to it's unique iq, then you should check out the Konica AR 40mm 1.8 

It's tack sharp, with an almost indescribable character to the imagery. Like many, I am looking for lens sets to keep consistency with my footage, but I can't seem to find another Konica lens, in a different focal length that has similar iq characteristics.

But to be honest, at 40mm 1.8, you could probably make an entire movie with just that lens. You'd be moving back and forth a lot, but it's doable, especially on a full frame and possibly an aps-c. Of course, I've only used this lens on a crop sensor and I have no idea how this lens would fare on a full frame?

• Super Members

No I use an old Mac Mini for 4k and it's fine imo.

I agree mercer, the Konica is nice. I bough my second copy yesterday. First time it was $10 and this time $12. Both of course included a nice slr as rear cap.

Here is a test from last time.

BMPCC With $10 Lens - 40mm f1.8: https://youtu.be/r4ESf-DHJFw

No I use an old Mac Mini for 4k and it's fine imo.

I agree mercer, the Konica is nice. I bough my second copy yesterday. First time it was $10 and this time $12. Both of course included a nice slr as rear cap.

Here is a test from last time.

BMPCC With $10 Lens - 40mm f1.8: https://youtu.be/r4ESf-DHJFw

That's good to know. I have a Mac mini from 2011, but I have a brand new MacBook air that trumps the power and speed of my mini. 

Nice BMPCC video. The Konica looks awesome on it. I wanted in on that fire sale, but I hesitated, thinking they were just dumping inventory cause a new model was going to be out soon. I wish I just ordered it on the first day of the sale like I almost did. I already had a set of Cosmicar C Mounts that would have been perfect for it, for now they make great clips on my Pentax Q7. Do you like the 1080 prores image from the BMPCC better or worse than the Samsung 4K? And what's your favorite lens on the BMPCC?

• Super Members

It's different.  The look of the bmpcc is very nice but it goes in waves and right now I'm getting a little tired of the "Alexa look". Therefor the nice colors and inky blacks of the NX1 feels fresh. Same reason I think the bmpc has the nicest image of all the BMDs,  both in HD and 4K.

Favorite lens on the bmpcc is the Panasonic 20/1.7. Small, fast and sharp.

Yeah I jumped on the fire sale within an hour. Had the extra camera the day after.