Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Error on my part. It happens. Perhaps the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 is? Regardless, the general question still stands though. Push-pull compared with twist for use with rails rig and matte box. Is there a reason to preference either?

​Push-pull lenses won't work well with a matte box and rails for a few reasons: 

1. The length of the lens extends and retracts causing a shift in the matte box relative position and requiring a reset each time you change lengths. Also accidental fast zooming can break glass filters as the lens' forward extension can put significant pressure on them.

2. The lenses typically cannot be used with a follow focus because the twisting action of the focus can cause the zoom ring to slide and thus change shot framing. Also you can't put a follow on the zoom if you would want to. 

3. Most push pull zooms will if swung around slightly or significantly change the zoom position over time. This is unsuitable for anything but dead level static shots. 

4. The finger position required to control zoom is more difficult with rails in the way than with a ring and adding a follow focus to the mix only makes changing your focal length even more of a pain. 

These apply even if you treat the zoom as a series of primes "all-in-one" so to speak. In short, it can be done but in practice they are usually such a bundle of frustration for a cinematographer that it's not worth it. 

very nicely said!

as they rotate as you focus you have no chance of using a mattebox

I do have some push pull lens I only use handheld - run n gun.... no mattebox

like the excellent Nikon 35-70mm f2.8  this is a killer lens alot smaller than the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 that I love

optically the galss is the same quility its just as sharp just alot smaller ....BUT its push pull so you have to work round that where you can .

I'm looking for a cheap Nikon mount 35mm lens. Nikkor seems to have a few versions. Pre-AI, AI, AI-S and D. Which one is recommended?

Nikon AI-S is very good the glass is the same in the D version its just a more modern styling to the body

​My first picks for primes in those ranges would be 35mm f/2 AF-D, or to go a bit wider and get the excellent 28mm f/2.8 AI-S.

The 35mm f/2.8 AI might be worthy to have a look at.

And as you said earlier - the 35mm f/1.8G DX lens is a nice lens for Nikon APS-C bodies. Due to lack of aperture ring it's pretty useless for other cameras.

​Push-pull lenses won't work well with a matte box and rails for a few reasons: 

1. The length of the lens extends and retracts causing a shift in the matte box relative position and requiring a reset each time you change lengths. Also accidental fast zooming can break glass filters as the lens' forward extension can put significant pressure on them.

Wait a minute. Is this what you mean by a push-pull lens?

Panasonic Lumix 14-42 kit lens:IMG_1671.thumb.JPG.ee077e049dd0db66c2536IMG_1670.thumb.JPG.e7b8d28438cf2ea14c260

2. The lenses typically cannot be used with a follow focus because the twisting action of the focus can cause the zoom ring to slide and thus change shot framing. Also you can't put a follow on the zoom if you would want to. 

3. Most push pull zooms will if swung around slightly or significantly change the zoom position over time. This is unsuitable for anything but dead level static shots. 

4. The finger position required to control zoom is more difficult with rails in the way than with a ring and adding a follow focus to the mix only makes changing your focal length even more of a pain. 

These apply even if you treat the zoom as a series of primes "all-in-one" so to speak. In short, it can be done but in practice they are usually such a bundle of frustration for a cinematographer that it's not worth it. 

​Very helpful, thank you.

Is anyone using a Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 on focal reducer and with the focal reducer added, do you think that m4/3 mount is strong enough to hold these two without any extra support? BTW, Canon FD 35-105mm is around 600gr.

​I use both those together and I have them on my Tecnoir shoulder rig so there is a lens support holding the lens on the rods

this is a push pull zoom lens

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/3570.htm

​OK. I have a cheap Canon FD mount 70-210mm f4. It works in a similar manner to the Nikon 35-70mm f2 you linked to. Now I'm on the same page. Thank you for your help.

Given what StudioDC wrote, what's the best zoom type for use on rails with a matte box? Or are zooms such a PITA that sticking with primes remains the best solution?

Given what StudioDC wrote, what's the best zoom type for use on rails with a matte box? Or are zooms such a PITA that sticking with primes remains the best solution?

​Well, some zooms have the remarkable qualities of both a non-rotating front element AND no length changes on focus OR zoom (internally focused, internally zoomed). I should note that as you've observed already, even non-push-pull zooms (those who zoom by turning a ring) can change length when they zoom. 

So be on the lookout for lenses which don't change length when focused OR zoomed and you'll have found an excellent candidate for a matte box with the least amount of compromises and frustration. Also, those with minimal length changes can sometimes be used, especially on the tele-end as you can just back them off the filter glass by the length they move, and use a sock or even gaff tape to block light off between the filter and the lens element.

​I use both those together and I have them on my Tecnoir shoulder rig so there is a lens support holding the lens on the rods

​Thank you. Just one more question then Any. I hear that this lens is par focal if it is properly adjusted. Does it maintain that feature with the focal reducer?

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this world and I'm trying to do some music videos. I've recently got a Sony A7 with a Bower 85mm f1.5 (with a canon EF adapter to Sony e-mount) and a Yashica 50mm f1.7. with a C/Y to e-mount adapter. 

I'm looking for a very very cheap (I'm in very low budget rightnow) wide angle lens to complete my set. What lens can you recommend to me? (24mm or below plus adapter) Around $60 box on ebay will be great...

eerr - maybe!....

it sounds like it maybe a B4 mount broadcast lens -if it is 2/3 inch format and has a x2 extender - then you can get a B4 - Micro 4/3 adaptor off ebay

I have one I use on my Fujinon B4 TV Z lenses - they are superb super zooms

post a pic of your lens so I can see the mount on it

ok this looks like it is a c - mount lens (screw thread) with NO x2 converter on the back to flip in

so it maybe for 1/3 inch sensor so will vignette on micro 4/3 - unless you have a Panasonic camera and can to EX TELE mode to crop in x2 .

its hit and miss you will have to try it

a c mount to micro 4/3 adapter is about £10 off ebay so have a go