Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

there is not much in it - Nikon 28-70mm is sharper even wide open at 2.8 and has very very little focus breathing - less than the Carl Zeiss PL mount 28-80mm Cinema Lens thats 10 x as expensive

thats why the Nikons are used on Hollywood films as they are small light and very sharp with no breathing.

The Tokina /Angeniuex 28-70mm is quite simply one of my favourite lenses of all time!!

- its not as sharp wide open as the Nikon - But it has a superb look to it - its bokeh is amazing and with a Lens Turbo Mitakon speedbooster it is suddenly sharper and faster so then is in a similar sharpness range as the Nikon but its now 1 stop faster too .

Also it is internal focus and internal zoom - full metal bodied lens - so it fits on my Arri Matte Box perfectly

the Nikon is internal focus BUT extends 2cm when zoomed so it needs as screw on hood rather than the Matte Box as it extends

contrast is good on mine - rich colours and nice contrasty blacks ,mine is the series 1 version - 77mm screw on hood the

original made to the Angenieux design before Tokina started tweeking it and making alterations to it ending up with the appertureless cheaper SV version some years later - get the series 1 version - its superb! 

look at that video clip above comparing the Angenieux and the Tokina - you can clearly see the contrast there , both lenses are identical

optically -

Angenieux make an f2.6 28-76mm Optimo zoom in PL mount it is seroius money £31.000 approx

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/angenieux_optimo_28-76

- Im sure it shares a history optically with the 28-70mm they made for SLRs in the 90s - these SLR lenses where very expensive then ......Angenieux pulled out of SLR lenses to concentrate on cinema lenses - Tokina then bought the rights to make the 28-70mm and as you can see from the vimeo video I posted above optically there is nothing between the Tokina and the Angenieux versions - they are the same

So the Tokina is a stellar bargin!!!

the trick with this lens and the Nikon is to stack NDs - I mean serious NDs - Get Tiffen ND 16, 8, 4 and 2  then you stack them as necessary for your exposure keeping the lens fully wide open - this gives amazing narrow dof at f2.6 - ....even outside in bright sunlight with ND 24 on the front

DP Shane Hurlbert uses  Tiffen NDs exactly like these on Act of Valor and Need for Speed ....his latest film - if its good enough for him its good enough for me!

if someone feels like splashing out $$$$$ £££££  there is an original Angenieux version en ebay now!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angenieux-AF-Nikon-28-70mm-F2-6-Zoom-/261430255851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cde7520eb

That sounds pretty awesome, but what about the much more affordable 35-70 nikkor 2.8?

its a push pull zoom ....so beware of that , but optically it is stunning though! and they are cheap on ebay

low cost Bourne look !!

Andy - any thoughts on the Nikon 35mm 1.8 dx? Thinking of using that with a Speedbooster BMCC on my G6.

I would go for the Nikkor 35mm f2 AIs model as it is superb glass and fully manual -

the Nikon 35mm 1.8 dx is a fly by wire lens no manual apperture

I would go for the Nikkor 35mm f2 AIs model as it is superb glass and fully manual -

the Nikon 35mm 1.8 dx is a fly by wire lens no manual apperture

Andy,

I'm glad you're saying this now. I just bought the 35mm 1.8, so I've got time to return it. It's only $200, so I do like the price!

I'm trying to get by with just one "go-to" lens with a "backup" lens being the kit 14-42 panny, which I've heard isn't great but it gives us a 14mm or a 42mm shot if we need it in a pinch.

The 35mm was way too wide with the dumb adapter I had, so I bought the Metabones BMCC which makes it more like a 50mm. That's better for sure, but I still wouldn't mind going wider for our main lens. I'm messing with this lens and adapter now, but have a couple weeks to return one or either if there's a better setup.

Seems like my main options are:

1. Return the 35mm 1.8 and get the 35mm you mentioned

2. Return the 35mm 1.8 and get a wider nikon, maybe a 28mm or 24mm

3. Return the lens and speed booster and do something entirely different.

I still have time - would love your input. Thanks Andy!

Return the 35mm 1.8 and get the 35mm you mentioned and ....

the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS is one of the best 28mm lenses ever made , this lens has EIGHT elements in EIGHT groups. This gives it a level of correction seen in no other Nikon wide angle (similar to an aspheric element lens)

get one cheap off ebay

My prefered wide on a G6 is a 28mm f2.8 WITH a x0.7 speedbooster - this gives approx 20mm f2  and is similar to David Finchers prefered wide - He uses a Zeiss Master Prime 27mm on Super 35mm camera (or RED EPIC)

now your BMCC speedbooster is a x0.64 wide adaptor so your 35mm lens is approx 22.5mm - getting like Finchers prefered field of view....

28mm on your BMCC speedbooster is approx = 18mm ......maybe a bit too wide for me ...! its all subjective!!

the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS is one of the best 28mm lenses ever made , this lens has EIGHT elements in EIGHT groups. This gives it a level of correction seen in no other Nikon wide angle (similar to an aspheric element lens)

get one cheap off ebay

My prefered wide on a G6 is a 28mm f2.8 WITH a x0.7 speedbooster - this gives approx 20mm f2  and is similar to David Finchers prefered wide - He uses a Zeiss Master Prime 27mm on Super 35mm camera (or RED EPIC)

now your BMCC speedbooster is a x0.64 wide adaptor so your 35mm lens is approx 22.5mm - getting like Finchers prefered field of view....

28mm on your BMCC speedbooster is approx = 18mm ......maybe a bit too wide for me ...! its all subjective!!

Thanks Andy. I'll go this route - I haven't had a lot of council in the lens arena, so this is much appreciated. I'm a musician, not a videographer... but we want to be able to shoot our own stuff in a pinch. This helps a lot!

So here's another thought... maybe it's worth returning the BMCC speedbooster and getting a generic one from eBay and saving $400. The only reason I got the metabones one was because I wanted to squeeze as much as I could out of the 35mm. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again. This is really helpful Andy.

I use the Mitakon Lens Turbo speedbooster in Nikon Mount it is superb (x0.7 wider)

So if you got a Nikon 28mm and the Lens Turbo you would all be set

use 28mm with normal adaptor and they also use it with the Lens turbo you get a 20mm and 28mm all in one lens !

bingo!

get one cheap off ebay

That sounds great. One question though - a speed booster widens a lens, but if I'm putting it on a MFT G6, it's still less wide than the original, correct? For example, my current 35mm is 70mm with a normal adapter and about 50mm with my BMCC speed booster. So wouldn't the 28mm end up effectively being a 40mm and 52mm?

I use the Mitakon Lens Turbo speedbooster in Nikon Mount it is superb (x0.7 wider)

So if you got a Nikon 28mm and the Lens Turbo you would all be set

use 28mm with normal adaptor and they also use it with the Lens turbo you get a 20mm and 28mm all in one lens !

bingo!

One more question, sorry... I'm seeing a lot of AI (not AIS) 28mm Nikons. Are those the same thing?

you are refering to Full Frame - Im not doing that as I dont ever shoot full frame so no need to referance it - as the G6 is not full frame.

a 28mm Nikon + speedbooster (x0.7 ) = approx a 20mm field of view lens = wider than the original 28mm Nikon on a dumb adaptor

remember a standard lens on a G6 is 24mm (equivilant of human eye field of view)

ps also a G6 with a x0.7 speedbooster = approx Super 35mm Hollywood film camera perspective / APSC field of view

So the speedbooster makes the G6 like a cinema camera in terms of lens lengths.

So when Fincher says he uses a 27mm Zeiss Master Prime - you can put on a Nikon 28mm on your G6 with speedbooster and have a very similar field of view

you can quite happily shoot an entire move with 20mm 28mm 35mm 50mm primes on a G6

you can get 20mm via your 28mm with speedbooster so no need to buy a 20mm lens (they are expensive)